“Hip boutique hotel with delightful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ansen Suites

You added Ansen Suites to your Saves list
Ansen Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Evliya Celebi Mah. Mesrutiyet Cad. No:70 | Tepebasi Tunel /Beyoglu, Istanbul 34430, Turkey   |
Ranked #303 of 980 Hotels in Istanbul
New York City, New York
“Hip boutique hotel with delightful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I stayed at the Ansen 130 for 3 nights in mid-October. I had contacted the hotel previously to book my room plus arrange for airport pick up and inquiry about a Sema ceremony. I communicated with Hülya, the Sales and Marketing Manager, for my pre-trip planning, and she was helpful and thorough in explaining everything to me.

It was my first time traveling to Istanbul/Turkey, and I arrived, unfortunately, sick from some my exhausting travel in India. The hotel staff was very sweet and offered me various cold remedies to help me feel better. I was always greeted with a smile and an offer of tea/coffee/water as soon as I walked through the door. They were also great at calling taxis for me whenever I needed to venture out.

The rooms themselves were excellent. Large, suite-like (although more like a studio instead of a separate area for the living/desk part). But very large, modernly-decorated (I believe all the suites are themed). The bathroom was perfect size, great water pressure/hot water, all the amenities you would need during a hotel stay. A small-ish kitchen (which I didn't use), and free wireless throughout the hotel.

All in all a great place and definitely highly recommended. I stayed at the Four Seasons in the Old City for the latter part of my stay (after returning from Cappadocia), and I honestly think I would have preferred to return back to Ansen 130. For the price, the warm hospitality, location, and overall service/aesthetic, I think Ansen 130 wins hands down.

• Liked — Great service, huge, clean, modern rooms, location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days last month. We've found so much helpful information on this site before we went that we want to pay back by posting our experience.

LOCATION: Great. It is within walking distance to Istiklal Caddesi and many busy restaurants.

STAFF: Very friendly. They always try hard to get what you need. However, they do not speak any English. I communicated by writing the words down on paper, and they looked them up on the online dictionary.

ROOM: Sleek decor but a bit clostrophobic. We stayed in the Executive Suite on the top floor. The fixtures throughout are very modern and of high quality in general. The room has 3 small round windows and 2 skylights. The square footage is great, but we felt there was not light and air coming in. When we notified the staff that one of the skylights' blind could not be open and the light bulb in the kitchenette went out, they could not get anyone to fix them. The elevator is very tight as well.

RESTAURANT: Fresh ingredients and tasty. Breakfast is complementary. We really liked the foods. We wish we could have had more than 1 dinner there. Of note, we tried the Thai restaurant next door (because we had had Turkish foods x 10 days before that). We were the only 2 customers for the entire night. The meal cost $90 USD without alcohol. You can get the same food in California for $20. We would not recommend them.

TAXI: Easy to get. The staff can call the taxi center which is 2 minutes away, across from the Petra hotel, and a taxi will show up in front of the hotel within 5 minutes. If possible, get a taxi that works at a hotel. They use the meter and state the hotel name on their business cards. It seems that there is a process they must pass before they can work in front of the hotel. If you take a taxi at one of the touristy sites such as Grand Bazaar or Blue Mosque, expect they jack up the price or not use the meter.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff doesn't speak English. The space feels very small.
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We stayed at the Ansen Suites for 2 nights and had no complaints whatsoever. The rooms are very large with plenty of space and a small kitchen area too. Bathrooms are small but very modern and clean. All the rooms are tastefully decorated and looks like the hotel itself is very new. The hotel has a family feel and even the reception area feels like someone's lounge! The decor is very nice with some modern and vintage art displayed in the reception. The staff were very helpful and gave us honest reccommendations on restaurants to visit which were excellent. The location is also excellent and right opposite the hotel is a cobbled street full of nice cafes and restaurants. It is also a 5 min walk to Istikal Caddesi - the main shopping street of Istanbul. I would go back there on my next trip to Istanbul.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Noisy at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Ansen Suites for four nights in May and loved it. Our room was spacious and well decorated, it had a great view over the Golden Horn - ask for a room at the top of the building - and lovely staff. Great area too near lots of small bars and restaurants - not like the touristy sultanamet. You definitely want to stay on this side of the golden horn and you should think about staying here - walkable to everywhere.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

I stayed at the Ansen Suites with my parents for 10 days between Christmas and New Years this past year and it was fantastic.

I found Ansen Suites based on a NYTimes article and then used the reviews here to make my decision. Past guest's reviews were very accurate and helpful.

We were 3 adults and the room was perfect for our needs. The size was generous, it was stylish and the shower was great. We even utilized the Kitchenette one night and cooked a casual meal.

The staff, while not fluent in English, were wonderfully helpful and absolutely aimed to please and make our stay comfortable.

The location of this hotel was fantastic to get around the city. A super bonus are a plethora of yummy restaurants literally 2 minutes away.

I would without question recommend Ansen to anyone going to Istanbul that is not wed to staying at a big American Hotel brand.

Stayed December 2006
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

We stayed there with my boyfriend for 2 nights.The design of the rooms are modern and for the people who dont like kitsch and old fashioned hotels.A little boutique hotel with all in one.There is a little kitchen with cooking equipment and almost everything you may need in bathroom.The staff is helpful and warm.They serve the most delicious breakfast ever as well.You can eat French toast with cinnamon and raisins,pancakes or the regular breakfast plate with newly baked tasty breads.-though their plate is too big for a "regular" one.- Next time i will definetely choose this hotel to stay again.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Ansen Suites in March of 2006. We were impressed by the place and had a great stay there. (We negotiate a pretty decent rate too so don’t settle for the list price unless you’re in peak season.)
First off Istanbul is a dirty, polluted place. The food is plain (and mostly bad) and you’d get a better kebab in Islington than even the best rated ocakbasi we went to (Timeout and HG2 recommended). The people you are most likely to meet are dodgy ‘wheeler dealer’ sorts (although not threatening) and you have a good chance of being palmed off with counterfeit notes! I have always wanted to go to Istanbul but frankly places like Rome, Madrid, Venice, Prague etc. had somewhat more appeal for me personally. I can say that whilst I wouldn’t rush back, it is worth braving the negatives for – that is if you have an interest in the history and want a break with more to it than caffeine laced art galleries.
The Ansen Suites is a good boutique hotel for the money, by any city’s standards. We stayed in 2 rooms, being upgraded on our last night to the penthouse. Both were facing the ancient city, looking out over the ‘Golden Horn’ (the channel of water dividing the European side of the city) to the Blue Mosque which made for great views. The Penthouse was identical to the first room we had except it had uninterrupted panoramic views and a small terrace. In all other respects the rooms were identical. Décor – modern and stylish; facilities – broadband, satellite, hotel bar etc; bathroom – shower (no baths) but very modern and with designer soaps etc.. The staff were friendly and helpful (and even (genuinely!) invited us to a very lively private party they had one night). Situation is pretty good, near the main shopping street and close by to quite a few of the best rated restaurants (although as I mention good food is hard to come by in Istanbul). It's a short (<5min) and hairy taxi ride from the blue mosque and the main sites. If you want to brave the pollution, dodgy dealers and pitiful tucker of Istanbul definitely stay here!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Ansen Suites? Share your experiences!