“Turkish cooking classes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 543 Activities in Istanbul
Type: Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking classes introducing Turkey's regional and historic cuisines: Royal Ottoman and Authentic Anatolian. Instructed in English, German or French.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Turkish cooking classes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is definitely a great choice as it is a uniquely educational and entertaining experience. The stories and the turkish coffee were just fantastic, and even though I cannot cook well myself, we had a lot of fun in the kitchen too. The guide and the chef were just great. Definitely recommended.

Visited July 2013

Istanbul, Turkey
“Fab chef and translator and fun group class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I attended Gokcen's "Gourmet Holidays" class with some friends and it was definitely one of the highlights of my week. The class I attended focused on Black Sea cuisine, which is really different than other Turkish cuisine. The chef was hilarious and really good at showing us all the steps in making the dishes (which I am excited to replicate... someday:-)

The translator was also great, as he is himself a professional chef and cookbook author.

The best part was sharing a meal all together at the end in a very authentic setting. I would definitely recommend.

Istanbul, Turkey
“BEST COOKING CLASS IN ISTANBUL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I attended the Royal Ottoman class, the only one of its kind in Istanbul. It was so educational and savoury. Our chef Hakan made the experience very entertaining and took the time to share stories and make the recipes easy to understand. He keeps your attention with humor and stories.Throughout the lesson, he explained to us the Royal Ottoman cuisine and its origins, whilst demonstrating how to cook the best lunch I have tasted.

After cooking, we all sat down and enjoyed the foods of our labor in the lovely surroundings of "Y" brasserie, where we were also served a great choice of local red wine. The food was delicious and definitely one of my favorite experiences ever. I did later go back and buy the spices and their cookbook - Chef Hakan also wrote the first e-book on Ottoman Cuisine in English which is still selling on Amazon.

All in all it was a very entertaining class and a unique lunch. The tastes and smells were so different from other Turkish dishes that I was really taken by surprise. And the ingredients had been selected in such a way that you can easily find them wherever you are in the world.

If you want to taste and learn how to make a proper Ottoman feast, then this is the place to go!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Definitely do this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Black Sea Cooking class was fantastic! The cuisine of Turkey is so amazing that it will be one of the things I miss most when I leave to go home. Going to this class not only gave an opportunity to focus on and learn about one specific type of country’s famous food, but it also allowed me to hold onto one of the things I’ve loved most about living here, the food. And if the lifelong benefit of having a few spectacular recipes isn’t enough, this class also did a great job of making it feel like a truly VIP experience. The class was small, so it felt very personalized and questions are encouraged. If you aren’t an expert chef or fluent in Turkish it is no problem; I am neither one. These people are great at explaining and demonstrating so that anyone can understand, and their English is excellent. Oh, and after the food is finished you are able to then partake in the experience of a lavish multicourse meal that you yourself had a hand in making. I loved taking this class and definitely recommend it to all who are interested in cooking and are in love with the food of the region, but how could you not be?

Istanbul, Turkey
“Ottoman cuisine at its tastiest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had always been interested in Ottoman cuisine but it is not readily available in Istanbul. This tour was exactly what I had hoped it would be. Full of information about the cuisine with unique dishes not on any menu in Istanbul I have ever seen. On the intro tour with Gökçen we got a great intro to Turkish ingredients and had the best Turkish coffee ever! Then we arrived at the kitchen, met the very personable chef Hakan, and we got right down to cooking. It was a lot of fun to smell, taste, and cook all the food in a very hands on way. It was wonderful to sit down with chef and guide and the rest of the small group to eat all the food we prepared together with a nice selection of Turkish wine. Highly recommended for everyone from experienced foodies to new comers to Ottoman/Turkish food.