“Great airport hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Retaj Royale Istanbul

You added Retaj Royale Istanbul to your Saves list
Retaj Royale Istanbul
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Evren Mahallesi Cami Yolu Caddesi No:1/A | Gunesli, Istanbul 34212 , Turkey   |
Ranked #333 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
“Great airport hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here on two separate occasions, one night each and two different rooms. The hotel is new, and the rooms well appointed, quiet and very clean. The staff were very helpful and courteous. We used the airport shuttle twice; it was free and convenient. Good advance rates on travel sites - we chose a small room the first stay and it was more than spacious enough for two. Complimentary buffet breakfast was brilliant, one of the best we have had. Ate at the restaurant late on a Friday night - excellent quality and choice, not cheap, but not expensive and worth every penny. Delicious welcome drink and Turkish delights were a lovely touch. The hotel location is great if you want to be close to the airport, but we moved closer to the city centre to visit Istanbul. Around the hotel, there did not appear to be a lot of interest for a tourist. The pool was not functioning on our first visit and we arrived too late to use it on our second visit. Absolutely loved this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel offers top quality amenities including sauna and swimming pool. Most staff speak excellent English, and the room was very comfortable. Breakfast buffet is wide ranging and the restaurant offers good value, quality evening meals.

Proximity to the airport was very useful to me, and free shuttle buses are offered to and from the centre of Istanbul. Again, really useful for someone wanting to get the most out of their time in this city.

All in all, it's been an excellent stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed there for one night on a business trip. I was welcomed with a cold rose water cocktail during the check-in process which was very refreshening! The room turned out to be very nice and spacy. Once I got to my room I connected to the free WiFi without problems. But then the service issues began:
The sole of one of my shoes went off. So I tried to call the recpeption to ask for help and discovered that neither of the two phones in the room worked properly. I went down to the reception and reported the problem with the phone and was told a technician would come to help me.
Then I asked for a shoe repair and was directed to the concierge. He said he doesn't know of any but would do some research and get back to me.

To cut a long story short: neither my phone was repaired until I left next morning around 9:00 am nor did I get any response ragarding my shoe problem (that was eventually solved at the airport by a VERY helpful shoe-shine shop!!!).

The breakfast was good with a wide selection. I unfortunately did not have time enough to check the Hamam and pool, so no opinion on that.

I will probably give the place another chance on my next visit since my clients office is very close and I get a really good deal on the corporate rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Retaj Royale Istanbul is far from the city center, but the lavish accomodations and easy access to mass transit make the location an asset for any traveler who wants to see all of the city,save money,and still have a five star hotel exprince.
The hotel is a great deal.
Metin took excelent care of us,upgrading our room,Gokhan made sure we saw all the great sites both touristy and local treasures.
Mohammad Al mousawi was a great consierge,Mr Limi bay and Mr ashraf general manager attended to every travelers need.
The staff worked very hard to maintain the hotel, so Thank you so much Ali makansi, Aytac Guzelaydin, Elif kus, Ozgen, and cihan for your help and care.
The food was fabulous and the rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable.
In the end after ten days staying in this hotel, we left happy with good memories.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tripoli, Libya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hotels was very nice generally , the room and bath equipped with luxury furniture and facilities
the breakfast was acceptable.the stuff was excellent , no one disturb you
the receptionists were gentle ,kind and helpful.the hotel was very quite and you would have your
privacy.really it is nice hotel to enjoy with your family.
There is shuttle can deliver you from airport to hotel and from hotel to city cinter.
the only thing the hotel is far away from downtown.

Room Tip: try choose a king room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice recently, one night each time between flights. The first stay was excellent, apart from the airport shuttle arriving late and keeping us waiting at the airport on our arrival. We thought the room was very comfortable and the staff pleasant and helpful, so we decided to cancel our previously booked hotel for our return twelve days later and stay at the Retaj again.
The second stay started disastrously when the airport shuttle failed to turn up at the scheduled time. We were informed by another hotel's shuttle driver that the Retaj had changed their shuttle schedule since our previous visit. We therefore took a taxi. This was not expensive but we feel that the situation was very badly handled by the reception staff on our arrival at the hotel. They did not offer to pay for the taxi or apologise properly. They even suggested we were at fault for not phoning them from the airport - hardly good customer service. However, in the end the Assistant Front Office Manager, Mr Kocaman, did give us what he called an upgrade to a suite room, but this was actually only slightly larger than their basic room. He also gave us a complimentary buffet dinner on the executive floor, which was nice to have but it has to be said was not of very high quality.
After dinner there were further problems. We phoned to reserve places on the airport shuttle and asked Mr Kocaman to phone back. He did not do so and, after about half an hour, I went down to use the pool and stopped off at reception on the way. I discovered that the morning shuttle timing had been changed from the one that was convenient for our flight and had been a reason for rebooking this hotel. Mr Kocaman was busy and I left a message with his junior colleague asking Mr Kocaman to phone me later about this. He failed to do this before going off duty. Also I discovered that the pool was out of use (not for the first time, according to other reviews). So we were left with an unresolved situation on going to bed - not satisfactory, to say the least.
The following morning we spoke to reception before breakfast and they were surprisingly off-hand (especially one male staff) saying that there was nothing they could do. At this point we made a formal complaint and asked to see the General Manager after breakfast. It turned out that he was busy dealing with serious complaints from another person and the Front Office Manager saw us and finally agreed to pay for a taxi to get us to the airport at our anticipated time.
The way the staff dealt with this situation was not what you expect from a five star hotel. It was a relatively minor incident that could have been resolved soon after we arrived but was allowed to escalate into what was a distressing situation for us. The staff need to improve the way they handle such problems.
Additionally we noticed that the housekeeping of our room on the second stay was not as thorough as the first - a few toiletries were missing, we found a piece of rubbish under the sofa, only one pair of slippers was provided.
To sum up, this is a good hotel and, at current rates, good value for money, provided you avoid the shuttle service to the airport or city centre - the schedule may have changed yet again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at 2 Nights from 12-06-2013 until 14-06-2013 and we have arrived at 4am, they have treated us very nice and they gave us the room with upgrade even the Syrian guy Ali at the front desk was very good and all of the staff. The reservation Agent Mrs.Duygu was very welcoming and helpful, the room very clean and big, very new beautiful hotel which I really recommend to everybody who would like to enjoy the stay and feel like king.
I thank all the hotel staff and I would definitely go back to Retaj even if I want to be in the city of Istanbul and go all the way everyday from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Retaj Royale Istanbul? Share your experiences!