“Most lousy experience! From a world traveler on bath houses.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #219 of 542 Activities in Istanbul
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Most lousy experience! From a world traveler on bath houses.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I decided to try this place because of the rating on trip advisor. I thought a local small place would give me a real feel of the traditional Turkish bath. My very first thought walking in was it was not well lit and looked quite run down. I was given a small room to change. The plastic bench to put my clothes on was all torn and you can see the foam. Then I was asked to lie down on a center piece made of marble tiles where I waited 15 minutes for the lady to come scrub me down. This center piece was for everybody to get scrubbed down at the same time. All the dead skin was floating around. After that it was the massage which was really not great at all. After that the lady foams you up and rubs your body with the foam. Then she pours a couple of tubs of water on you for a rinse. The tubs are recycled old yogurt buckets. Then I'm on a plastic chair where she washes my hair and rinses it but not thoroughly. Then she says I could use the sauna. The sauna was not comfortable. Just didn't look clean. The towel I got was damp to begin with. There was not a tub or pool with hot water for you to soak in. No TUB!!
I would not even attempt another Turkish bath house because of this experience. No bath! What is the point of a bath house? Buckets of water poured on me doesn't really cut it. And no dryer for my hair and area to put your make-up on.

If you are looking for a real BATH experience, please try any public bath in JAPAN or Korean baths. They really know the meaning of bathing for relaxation.
Check out: Wi in L.A.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
“Reasonably-priced bath with so-so massage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Buyuk was a nice, authentic Turkish bath situated close to my hotel and well-reviewed on TripAdvisor as a place to get a good, no-frills bath/massage. I enjoyed the experience, although the masseuse seemed afraid to apply too much pressure (despite my insistence on a deeper massage through hand gestures). As others said, though, it would make for an excellent first-time experience and was terrific insofar as the lack of a tourist crush of people!

Visited April 2013
Stockholm
4 attraction reviews
“A truly genuine hamam experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We wanted a hammam that wasn't too crowded and too full of other tourists, so we found this little "hidden gem" a few blocks away from Istikal Cadessi and Taksim square. It's not the oldest or the most beautiful, but it was clean, inexpensive and felt truly genuine. The attendants knew more or less no English/German etc. but it worked well anyway; sign language always works! If you chose the whole packge with scrubbing+massage; be prepared for a rough, but (afterwards) great experience :-)
We paid 35 Lira/pp. which is peanuts compared to what you pay in the tourist areas in Sultanahmet. (though remember; all hamam workers; everywhere, expect tips afterwards, so bring small notes/extra change!)

Visited February 2013
Kuwait City, Kuwait
15 attraction reviews
“Cheap and fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The workers only understand turkish. It is a very local( not luxurious) bath. It shows you the typical turkish bath. A great first-time experience. Cheap. Only 30 TL per person.( don't forget the tips)

Visited November 2012
Geneva
6 attraction reviews
“Ditch the tourists - A great local Hamam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am not convinced the address at the top of the page is correct. This is where the Buyuk Hamam is: Camiikebir Mh., 34440 Beyoğlu/Istanbul, Turkey. Onto the review!

This bath house is a great local Hamam that is not packed with tourists, but that could change over time. I visited this one 3 times during my trip as well as the Çemberlitaş Hamamı near Sultanhamet. I believe that both were built by Mimar Sinan. Both were great, but the tourists were thick at Çemberlitaş Hamamı and it was priced to match at 69TL. Buyuk on the other hand was only 37TL and you get a great thorough scrub and massage. The staff has more time to devote to you and you'll get a superior experience. I have seen some other review recommending to bring your own kise, but I don't think that is necessary at all - you will still come out squeaky clean. And by squeaky clean, that is literal, the bath attendant WILL exfoliate your skin until it actually squeaks. Very cool!

Everyone is very friendly and happy help guide you, but after the first time you'll figure things out. Here is a summary of what you do: You'll be directed to a private changing room where you will get into your towel an lock your belongings. From there they'll point you to the sauna. At the end of that hall is a room with some tubs of water and an un-labeled door. That door is the sauna. Go in, flip the timer and sweat for 10-15 minutes. Right around the time is up, your attendant will come to get you and direct you from there. He probably will not know English, but it will be easy to figure out. Just follow his lead. After he is finished with the scrub and massage, you'll finish bathing yourself and do a last rinse. Then go outside to your changing room. Another attendant will help you dry and offer you a drink (1 TL extra, but a bottle of water is so perfect after the bath). Relax for a while and allow yourself to cool, then change and pay. After you pay, you should tip the bath and towel attendant. I went with about 20-25TL for the bath attendant and 5 TL for the towel guy.

The only trouble is that the hamam is at the bottom of a giant hill that my hotel is on top of (near Pera Palace and Tunel stop). If you hike up the hill, you will undoubtedly be sweating by the time you get to the top, so consider catching a taxi for at least the return trip.

The bath was exactly what I was looking for and was a great way to relax after long days. A highlight of the trip!

Visited October 2012