“GREAT STAY !!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SuB Karakoy

Save Saved
You added SuB Karakoy to your Saves list
SuB Karakoy
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Necatibey Cad. No: 91 | Karakoy, Istanbul 34425, Turkey (Formerly Portus Hotel Karakoy)   |
Special Offer
Free Pickup&Cash Discount
Ranked #5 of 772 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Biel, Switzerland
“GREAT STAY !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I have just spent 4 nights at the Sub in Istanbul and I have to say that it has been really nice.
The location is good because you are not far from everything.
The rooms are nice..however do not expect luxury. I have to say that if you are used to sleep in a quite place please ask for the rooms that are not on the street side because they are kind of noisy. We asked to change and the staff moved us the day after without any problems
The breakfast is nice...good variety of choice.
Save the best for last...THE STAFF !!! very nice, helpful and friendly staff..always happy to help

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I only stayed for one night but it was a really good experience.
The hotel is not big but is cosy, comfortable and with an original design.
Room was simply great, big enough, very clean, with a very comfy bed and an imaginative bathroom.
Breakfast was very good, with many options.
Location is very central because in less than 5-10 minutes you are in Galata Bridge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed here last month. I cannot say enough about how wonderful this hotel is. The people who work here are some of the kindest, most gracious around, and you can tell they truly enjoy helping visitors out, giving us directions and suggestions, carrying bags, serving food - everything they do is done with genuine pride and kindness.

The hotel itself is adorable - the lobby / dining room is really comfortable and welcoming. It was a great place to just sit and have coffee while catching up on things via free wifi. Decor is modern/hip/eclectic, while remaining cozy.

Let's talk about the morning breakfast. Normally, when a hotel in the States or elsewhere offers free breakfast, I try it once, find it mediocre and depressing, and never do it again. Not here. We made sure to get breakfast every. single. day. Fresh breads, the freshest cheeses, fruit, olives, yogurt, honey, jams - and you're offered eggs however you want them and a different, lovely dessert with every meal. And wonderful juices and coffee.

The location is perfect - in Karakoy, walking distance across the bridge to the Old City and also up to Galata / Taksim and all that. Public transportation is also just a couple blocks away (but we're city people and do a lot of walking), and cabs are easy to catch as well. (Whoever says this is a bad location either expected to be next door to the Blue Mosque or right off Istiklal. Seriously, what the hell, cheesy tourist?)

If you can't handle any kind of disturbance during your sleep, I'd request a room away from the minaret across the street, if that's possible. The first call to prayer happens at about 5:45 a.m., and it surprised us - haha. Other than that, the beds were comfortable and there was a lot of excellent lighting and sockets for us to plug in our various electronics. The rooms even come with little clip lights for reading in bed - how cute is that?

My friend and I canceled our trip to the Princes' Islands and extended our stay at the Sub -- that's how much we loved it. We spent our last few days in the Old City, but when I come back, I'm not even going to do that - I'd just stay at the Sub the entire time. I LOVE YOU, SUB HOTEL!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Inspired to write first TripAdvisor review. My wife and I stayed here with our 2 children (age 6 & 9) a few weeks ago and can't say enough about this place. Great atmosphere, very convenient location, and tremendously helpful and warm staff -- Nil and Muhammed in particular were real stand-outs. And the family suite room -- 2 adjoining rooms -- works really well. Was a great capstone to an incredible trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Sub Hotel for one night, travelling on business. The first impression is quite bad. The location is lousy and there are almost no lights outside. Reception is also bizarre with few lighting, so few that you have difficulty even to see the stairs. But entering the rooms, you see that it is the spirit of the designer. They are not so spacious but they are very well furnished and the overall impression is quite pleasant. The breakfast is quite lively! Very nice, with relaxing music and pleasant staff. As a business traveller, I have never stayed in such hotel, maybe I miss the luxury of other hotels, but I quite enjoyed this experience

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in June and I was travelling solo, it was a great option coz the staff and the owner are all most accommodating and very hospitable and its a new hotel and great value for money with all amenities and conveniences provided. The staff went out of their way to help me with finding great shopping spots, restaurants as well as site seeing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good deal

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the side of the main road if your a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Sub Hotel is a small, well-run hotel along a busy street in Karakoy (an industrial area of the city that appears to be evolving into a chic destination for cozy restaurants and cafes...and also some along the ferry stops that have been around for a while, happily and heavily patronized by the locals.) The hotel is conveniently close to the Tophane tram stop (just know it is to the right as you exit the tram, along the street behind the gas station), and also walking distance to the Spice Market and Galata Tower area. It is an uphill walk to the main street Istiklal, but some of the commuter ferries to cross the Bosphorus are less than 5 minutes walk away. As mentioned, there are a good number of restaurants, snack bars and cafes just a few steps from the hotel...if you choose to stay in.

We enjoyed the friendly, young front desk staff who are always available to answer questions and/or to assist you with planning your day or offer sightseeing guidance. The day starts off with a wonderful breakfast in the lobby-cafe area...which turns into a nice place to read, check your e-mail, have a coffee, drink or snack during the day. The wait staff and cooks were also quite friendly and open to conversation. I came back to the hotel after indulging myself with a little too much RAKI on my first night. The staff was so considerate in making sure I had plenty of fluids the following morning with a special delivery of juice and water to my room.

The rooms are by no means, spacious but are stylish and well-designed for efficiency and comfort. If you are on a lower floor and on the street side, you may experience a little traffic noise and the routine prayers that are broadcast over speakers every 5-6 hours thru the day and night from a nearby mosque.

The off-the-beaten-path location, away from the busy center and the old charm of the surrounding area is what made the hotel special for us. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again on my next visit to Istanbul. Thank you all for a memorable and pleasant stay in Istanbul. - rodrigo and david

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to SuB Karakoy? Share your experiences!