“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tashkonak Hotel

You added Tashkonak Hotel to your Saves list
Tashkonak Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kucukayasofya cad. Tomurcuk sok. no. 5 Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Airport Transfer !
Ranked #76 of 943 Hotels in Istanbul
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent experience, lovely staff, hotel is near all monumentals that one should visit when coming to Istanbul. Drinking coffee in the morning on top of the hotelwith sea view is priceless. .. Strongly recommended for tourists

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect for visiting all the Sultanahmet landmarks (Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Topkapi, Grand Bazaar, etc.). From Tashkonak you can reach the tram easily and it is also very close to the sea. Breakfast is served on the rooftop and it is delicious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Prangins, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Fantastic family owned botique hotel in Istanbul. Free wifi and breakfast was included in the price of the room. The service was friendly and attentive. They provided quality recommendations and advice. The breakfast was serviced on the roof top witha fantastic view of the water and blue mosque. The location is ideal and just steps from Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I and my wife visited Istanbul in the early January 2013 and had a lot of good impressions from our trip! I have visited a lot of countries before but found such hotel as Tashkonak at the first time - it is really the most friendly, clean and well situated hotel in which I have ever stayed. Also I want to mention very tasty breakfasts from the terrace with a very picteresque view! Moreover we really become friends with one of the managers - Hayati, who always supports us and tries to explain the best way to explore Istanbul.

Thank you one more time for 5 wonderfull days in Istanbul!

We wish this hotel good luck and all the best!

Artem and Olga

Room Tip: We stayed in the room 311 and liked it really very much. I want to metion that there are kettle and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel the weekend before Christmas (Fri - Mon). I'm a solo female traveler, on a budget with safety always being my 1st priority. I used the hotel's car transfer service for my airport arrival. They provided car service free 1 way for stays of 3 days or longer (not sure if that's standard or was a December special). My flight arrived 2 hours late & I was concerned that the driver may not be there since it's more of a small boutique hotel & it was pretty late but he was there with a sign waiting for me & was very nice.

Check in was very quick, the gentleman explained my room to me & made sure I was comfortable. Fantastic after a 13 hour flight. I found my heater wasn't working, he came & took a look, decided it couldn't be fixed immediately & moved me to the next room with no issue. He also apologized sincerely but he handled the issue so quick... I hadn't even unpacked & gotten settled so no apology was needed. Whenever I had a question someone at the front desk was very nice & knowledgeable.

Breakfast upstairs on the enclosed rooftop terrace was great. Again friendly service & the best scrambled eggs I've had in a long time. Great cold & hot selection with plenty of tea, coffee etc. The location was a short walk to the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia a small bazaar with cute merchandise & the tram. The area is compact & can be hard to figure out at 1st but once you walk around a few times you get the hang. Also, people on the street were more than kind the 1 time I got completely turned around close by the hotel. I felt safe walking around even with large dogs wandering the streets, they didn't seem to care about the people being in their space. The dogs are common in the area (around the sights) & not specific to the hotel. The rooms while simple were clean & comfy. They provided bottled water everyday & each room has a small fridge. I paid €65 per night for a single (which had a double bed).

Something I wish I had read on the reviews when I was researching: between 6-6:30AM every morning the call to prayer from Blue Mosque can be heard in your room... At least I could hear it on the 1st floor. It did not bother me, I found it beautiful & peaceful but it did scare the crap out of me the 1st morning. Also, I was already awake each morning when it started so I'm not sure if it wakes people up typically.

Must mention this as well as I like to give full disclosure reviews. Two of the three mornings/nights I stayed we lost power. The 1st morning I woke up at 6am to no power. Went back to sleep, woke up at 9, still nothing, they were still able to serve breakfast so I ate, came back around 10 & still no power. I figured I'd just shower & head out but it was too dark in the bathroom to really do a morning routine so I just slept until noon. When I woke up it was back on. It didn't irritate me much I was just surprised they didn't have a generator. At breakfast no other guests seemed irritated either. The next morning again no electric but only during sleeping hours. I happen to be a very early waker. I saw a review mention a close by fire that caused the outage but I'm not sure if that caused the issue both times. I didn't ask... I wasn't bothered enough to be concerned.

Overall great experience in a fantastic city, especially if you want something clean, simple, within walking distance, pocket friendly & safe... Essentially if you aren't looking for a resort or big name hotel it'll probably work for you. Oh & I saw a little of every type of traveler there: family, couple, solo etc.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Lovely little hotel.
Very central to the ancient city and easy to explore the whole of Istanbul from. No frills, small rooms and basic facilities but friendly staff always willing to help. Perfect for a long weekend stay. The beauty of this place is having breakfast in the rooftop terrace where you can watch the world go by with magnificent views of the Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited Istanbul from Dec 25- Dec 27. We reached the hotel early in the morning . The staff was welcoming and allowed us to check in early.The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The breakfast on the rooftop terrace was fantastic. A large selection of veg and non veg items. The staff at the breakfast was very friendly, smiling and welcoming.
The hotel is centrally located and a short walk from Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace. Tram stations were just a short distance away and the area felt safe even at night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tashkonak Hotel? Share your experiences!