“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sapphire

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Sapphire to your Saves list
Hotel Sapphire
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ibn-i Kemal Cad. No:14 D:16 Sirkeci, Fatih, Istanbul 34410, Turkey (Sirkeci)   |
Ranked #82 of 943 Hotels in Istanbul
UK
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I spent three nights here in October with a tour group. I wouldn't praise this hotel as highly as many people have done, but certainly my room was fine, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was varied and tasty. Things I wasn't keen on: there was a kettle provided, but it was too big to fit under the sink tap to fill it (so I used my own); the sink in the bathroom was very badly cracked; the television showed nothing but white fuzz on all channels; we had a rather substandard dinner on the one night that we ate in the hotel. The staff were OK, but nothing special.
For me, the big point in this hotel's favour is its location, just minutes from the major sites. Another big plus was an excellent restaurant on the opposite corner where several of us enjoyed a delicious, good-value meal with impeccable service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Sapphire hotel in mid-October 2013. I chose the hotel based on ratings from Booking.com and TripAdvisor, as well as my decision to stay in the Old City. Bottom line, I would and will return.

The location is excellent for those who prefer to be in the heart of things. True, the block on which the hotel is located is exclusively more hotels and restaurants, but mere meters away the guest is in the heart and lifeline of the city. In addition to being able to walk to most of the major attractions, there is a main tramline just a block away from the hotel entrance.

It is no secret that the rooms are not large. In its welcoming email, management begins by explaining that because the hotel is located in the old city, the rooms are necessarily small. My original room was to be 12 square meters, but I wound up in a 14 sq meter room. As I was alone, I found the room more than enough for my needs, but I would suggest that if someone was sharing the room with me I might have found it crowded.

The room is clean. The hotel supplies decent toiletries, they also supply bedroom slippers and robes, the former comfortable while the latter languished unused in the closet but appeared to be of high quality. The breakfast is excellent, with a very wide choice of dishes both Turkish and western.

But the best part has been saved for the end: the staff, the living breathing heart of the hotel are marvelous and go out of their way to make a guest feel like a wanted guest. I cannot compliment too highly the people who I encountered while there.

But even the best hotels can be improved, and the two improvements I would suggest are 1- Supply tissues to the guests. 2- While the TV has channels galore (I reached channel 600), I did not really find any channels with English films or English broadcasts of sports.

From reading reviews prior to choosing the hotel, I was aware of the gift given at the end of the stay. And while I wasn't surprised when I received it, I greatly appreciated the gesture. I will definitely return to the Sapphire Hotel next time I am in Istanbul

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Perfect location to everything with this hotel. It is 10 minutes walking distance from all the famous historical site seeings and 2 minutes walking distance from tram which connect you to the Beyoglu area! Very Friendly and Helpful Staff always with a smile. Very clean and tidy. Only thing is you could listen to the cleaning ladies early in the morning but all beautiful things have small faults! We couldn't ask for more from Istanbul! A big Thank you from us!

Room Tip: Any kind of room except corner ones to the stairs
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night. Getting to Istanbul in the late afternoon and opted to catch the metro and tram based on the hotel recommendation from the airport. We ended up walking around a bit and had to ask a few shop keepers to point us in the right direction. The hotel is old but the satff was very kind and welcoming. Brought us juice and sweets while we were waiting to check in. Our room had 2 single beds that they pulled together to make into double for us. breakfast was very nice and they even gave us souvenirs on the way out.

Room Tip: If you are taking the tram from the airport, you'll get off the recommended station which is a p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed there for a couple of days in begining of october. The hotel have a perfect location to check out the main touristic points of this beautiful city and is located in a charming street with lots of restaurants and souvenir shops in the area, all in walking distance.
The hotel staff were very nice and extremely helpful, they can arrange tours and dinners in restaurants that pick you up at the hotel for free, just ask them!
Rooms were clean and breakfast was good!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NE Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in early September. We were made very welcome and the staff were always very helpful. Our room was perfectly adequate. It was comfortable and clean and the air con. Want we slept very well. The buffet breakfast was excellent. No need to set off for a days sightseeing hungry!
On leaving we received a couple of gifts from the staff, a lovely touch. They offer one free transfer to or from the airport. If travelling back to the airport from the hotel on a Friday evening we recommend leaving in plenty time. We thought 2 hours was enough but almost missed our flight sat the traffic was horrendous. Our poor car driver did his best but it was gridlock.
If you like the hustle bustle of a busy tourist are this hotel is perfect. If you prefer a quieter setting maybe stay in modern part of the city. But Hotel Saffir is minutes from all the major sights.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. Beautiful rooms and easy access to tramway station, and ferries. U can take sercesi station and access the tramway to any monument.. Nice staff and cool service!
Rooms are clean and food is rich and tasty! If u are there make sure u try (hafiz mustafa ) yummy desserts.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sapphire? Share your experiences!