“terrible stay !!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Akgun Istanbul Hotel

Save Saved
You added Akgun Istanbul Hotel to your Saves list
Akgun Istanbul Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adnan Menderes Bulvari | Topkapi, Istanbul 34270, Turkey   |
Ranked #548 of 901 hotels in Istanbul
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
“terrible stay !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in may 2012 , and found that sites like expedia have mentioned them as 5 star ....its not true.
Pros.
1) free internet.
2) free breakfast ( which is average....and same stuff repeated daily)
3) close to most location from the city
Cons
1) AC
were turned off in may , and they had asked to open windows since outside temperature is cooler...I was zapped to hear from a rated hotels by others, and I had infant in the room which I was concerned for safety. also for 2 days they would act and say oh we will send techinician to the room to check( as if we are fools to know that its central air.)
2) they charged for extra bed but no bed was provided for infant .
3) showers have slight mold, and are old and torned look. and room service was extremely poor.
4) hotel was dirty and carpets had dust.
6) not kid friendly ....or ADA accessable.
7) Staff and management speaks little or no english, hard to communicate.
8) they will never care for bad review and thats how they are.

Overall
Don't waste money staying here ( unless its free)
Had bad experience with expectation.

Room Tip: Tip: stay if it is free Tip:and if you plan to stay , come in cooler weather , management is noto...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Praise makes us happy, criticism makes us better.
Your opinion is really important to us.
We do everyting possible to tailor what Akgün İstanbul Hotel offers to your personel needs and wishes.Thank you to shore your opinions and experinces with us.Your suggestions and wishes will help us make your next vacation here with us and utterly unforgettable.

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My flight to Istanbul was changed four times by Turkish Airlines so they put me up at the hotel. I was expecting something more from this hotel. The front desk people were not very friendly or helpful. I was given my room key without any offer to help me with my two large suitcases and large package.

The room smelled musty and smoky. I tried to put on the a.c. to clean out the room, but it did not work. I had to open the door to the balcony to clear the air. The carpet was worn and kind of dirty I was thankful for the slippers provided by the hotel. The room did have a t.v. and an electric pot to make coffee. The bathroom was not very clean, the glass shower door was covered with black dirt along the edge. The toilet seat did not quite fit which made using it a little awkward.

I went down to the front desk to ask if there was WiFi, the woman at the desk just handed me a piece of paper with a password on it, but did not even say a word. Not very friendly.

The dinner buffet was filled with lots of choices, however, being a vegetarian it was difficult to know what dishes were non-meat. There were no signs indicating if the pasta contained meat. I ended up having just salads with veggies. I tried asking the staff, but I could not find anyone who spoke English. Nevertheless, I did find the desserts to be very tasty.

The next morning I asked again at the front desk how to get to the ancient walls which I saw from my balcony, no one seemed to have a cue to what I was talking about. I finally figured it out myself, it was only a 5 minute walk around the corner.

All in all not a bad place to stay considering Turkish Airlines paid. However, the indifferent, unfriendly, and unprofessional staff made my stay uncomfortable. I surely would not stay in this hotel again. There are far nicer places with better staff and rooms.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first before you accept the keys.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Your offers and opinions are very important to us.We are really soory about your opinion.
Next time, We want to host you better than before.
Hope to see you again.
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I missed my connection flight because Turkish Airlines told me that the flight which I was taking was overbook and they didn't allow me to fly that day (this is long story). And I got into this hotel. At the beginning I was glad finally to be able to have a sleep and a rest. Next day I had breakfast and after I went for a short walk and had some snacks in the city, when I came back to the hotel I felt myself very weak and chilly, I wasn't sure what exactly it was, later I found our that I got food poisoning. I wondered which food caused me this. I called the reception and asked if they have some medical personnel or some medicine, but instead of being friendly and nice they were sooooo rude and completely indifferent that I shocked because of this kind of attitude.
I was trying to sleep, as I felt terrible pain in my stomach and I couldn't move, I called back to the reception and asked if they can somehow assist me with medicine or call doctor or do something, instead of competent reply I heard again rude answer and later on they asked Turkish Airline to talk to me (where there was another story with that lady from Turkish Airlines, she was yelling at me telling me that it is hotel and they aren't supposed to help me if I have a problem). After all these horror and shocking attitude I somehow managed to ask hotel personnel to send a taxi driver to the drug store to buy me a medicine and again cheating stuff happened, they charged me for the taxi and didn't bring anything telling that they need prescription for a doctor (the medicine which I asked was ordinary permanganat). I didn't sleep the whole night as I was experiencing the most terrible food poisoning in life... Next day I went to American Hospital and doctor gave me prescription and when I was buying the medicines I asked if I can get that permanganat without doctor's prescription and they smiled and told me that they never ask for any prescription for selling that medicine...
What I want to say is that the hotel personnel were so inhuman, they were so rude with their terrible attitude. And I don't recommend this hotel to anybody in any situation, it is better to look for bed and breakfast option rather that staying in this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Your comlaint really suprised us.And we are very sorry.About this situation, but we haven't had
lıke this kind of complaint.By now about our sevice.However we will take notice of your considerations.Hope to see you again yours faitfully.
Grenoble
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I spent a night during my transit by Turkish Airways. It was around noon when they took me to the hotel, check in was fast. Nice lunch at the hotel but when I asked for a coffee after, he told me on my face that I have to pay extra, this is not a right attitude by a 5* hotel (3€ is not a big money for me, they would have done this later). Breakfast was ok but not very great.
Stuff in the mini bar was so expensive that I dint even looked at it, infact just 5 mins walk from the hotel you can find Metro station where you can buy whole lot of stuff for the same price. I brought many things and filled the minibar for just 10 €.
One thing I should admit is, the hotel is well connected to the entire city. I dint take a taxi but just Metro and Tram to roam in the city and even to get back to the airport (I just had a backpack which made me easy to walk).
Be careful with the shop inside the hotel, old lady charged me almost thrice for a phone card.
Not a 5* for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
We will take notice of your all complaints.
Thank you for commentaries.Hope to see you again.
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was very tired from a 12 hour flight from LAX and got on the subway and got off a Topkopi station found this place across the street and stayed one night. It was a good comfortable rest. The next day I joined my tour in the tourist section of town. I really missed all the room and service I had here cause I didn't find a nicer place on the tour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for all of your praises.Praise makes us happy criticism makes us better
Hope to see you again.
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a tour booked by Friendly Planet. We expected 4 star rooms, service and breakfast but, instead it is worth 2 stars. It is okay as long as you know what you are getting. Service is sporadic amd at best you will get what you need after a couple attempts. It seems staff wants to help but they really have know idea what to do. The room was hot with a fake knob for a/c and heat. The breakfast was ok, but I wouldn't consider eating there if I wasn't staying. I gather it is inexpensive, so save money and stay here, but just keep your expectations low.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Firstly, thanks for valuable comments.
It is our main aim to improve our services day by day, as five-star hotel.
It would be pleasure for us, if we could find a chance to welcome you in future again.
Best regards.
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Turkish airlines send me to this hotel when I am in transit in Istambul. The hotel location is good. There is a good transport connection to the down town of Istambul. The breakfast is very good. There is wi-fi in the room. If I have to pay the hotel I dont use it because for the same price there is many better hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for all criticisms and commentories.Hope to see you again.
Yours faithfully

Been to Akgun Istanbul Hotel? Share your experiences!