“Basic and clean with excellent location for sightseeing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ilkay

You added Hotel Ilkay to your Saves list
Hotel Ilkay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hudavendigar Street No: 44-46 | Eminonu, Istanbul 34210 , Turkey   |
Ranked #181 of 981 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, UK
“Basic and clean with excellent location for sightseeing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is basic and whilst not fitted with modern style furniture in rooms, the excellent wifi and satellite tv along with high cleanliness standards make this value for money.
The location is fantastic for tourists and the key sites of the old city are all within walking distance. The palace and two main mosques are within ten minutes walk. There are tourist shops and restaurants close by all offering good value for money food. Transfer by taxi from ataturk airport was around £15-20 each way. Would stay again for location.

• Stayed September 2013
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Our dear guest;

On behalf of Ilkay Hotel, I would like to thank you for your kind review about our hotel. It is nice to hear you have enjoyed your travel in Istanbul.

if you need anything from Istanbul or Ilkay hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would love to hear from you and see you again.

Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Ilkay for 7 nights during August. The hotel and rooms are fairly standard for a 3 star hotel but what makes the Ilkay is its location and fantastic staff.

The good:
- I arrived at 8:00 am on an early flight (got a free transfer by booking through the hotel's website). I had emailed the hotel advising of the early arrival and they had advised that they could not guarantee a room would be ready at that time (fair enough). On arriving, I was advised that no rooms were made up as yet but was invited to help myself to breakfast and use the hotel's wifi in the lobby so was very happy to wait.
- The room was clean, a good size with a large and comfortable bed.
- Wifi worked well throughout the hotel, fast and no dropouts.
- Room safe was large enough to fit a tablet and A4 folder.
- Good water pressure in the shower and no issues with running out of hot water.
- Air conditioning worked very well.
- Staff were always happy to assist with any questions and issues (safe came up with an error at one stage and maintenance were sent up immediately to fix it) and questions.
- The bread at breakfast was always fresh and cooked on premises as I found out when I was up early for a full day tour.
- The location is close to all the major attractions in the old city (easy walking distance to everything), has plenty of tourist eating options (but you pay almost half the price in the non-touristy places) and is very safe.

The Average:
- The first room I was provided was a single (I'd booked a double) and was very small. I was relocated to a double room once I pointed this out to management.
- The furnishings are fairly basic and old, so don't expect flashy.
- Apart from the bread, the breakfast is fairly standard and very little variety day to day.
- No fridge or tissues in the bedrooms.
- The lifts are very small, not air conditioned and I found them to be a bit unreliable.

The Bad:
- Nothing that I can classify as bad.

Overall, the Ilkay provides a good, low cost 3 star option for staying in the old town of Istanbul. I would have no complaints with staying there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Our dear guest;

On behalf of Ilkay Hotel, I would like to thank you for your candid review about our hotel. It is nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us but not fully. Our guests' happiness is utmost importance to us. We pay great attention to your feedback and we will work to diminish inconveniences at the hotel. If we have another opportunity to host you at our hotel, we will make it up to you and make you fully happy.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here in August 2013 with my mum on our second visit to Turkey. 21 years ago we stayed here and decided to stay here again due to its close proximity to most (pretty much all) the sights in the Old City. Well what can I say, after 20 years there's been rapid improvement not only in the hotel but in Istanbul as well. They've expanded the hotel,adding more rooms, with a more modern touch, however the service and the genuine Turkish hospitality has definitely not been compromised. From the moment we booked, Ramazan (the man in charge of your smiles!) and his team were friendly, accommodating and more than helpful in arranging everything, from airport transfers, bus tickets, and an additional 5 night stay during peak season upon returning from Cappadocia and Pammukale; they even kept our big luggage bags in safe storage while we were visiting these other parts of Turkey. Free wifi which worked well in the rooms, decent buffet breakfast (cereals, fruit, Turkish style breakfast of olives, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese etc, eggs, sausages, tea, coffee, juice, breads), rooms were not huge but enough space to move around and very clean with a tea/coffee facilities,TV, wardrobe to hang some clothes, and with Air-con, nice restaurants near by (try the testi kebap (pottery kebab) at the Ozlem Restaurant across the road up the little alley, or the Sultanahmet Fish House about 100metres down ghe road crom the Basilica Cistern), and as mentioned before all the sights (the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar) are all within walking distance. Hotel is situated halfway between two tram stops (walk out of the hotel and the tram line is right in front of you) which means easy access to all parts of the Old City and can also take you across the Galata Bridge towards Galata Tower, Taksim area and the Dolmabache Palace. Also situated ithin walking distance to the Eminonu ferry port, for ferries along the Bosphorus (tip: catch the hop-on/hop-off Bosphorus ferry from acorss the Galata Bridge at Kabatas (end of the tram line), its about 12 euros per person and it does a round trip up the Bosphorus, with numerous stops n both the European and Asian sides of Turkey, as the name suggests you can hop off at any stop and explore the area before hopping back on again at the designated ferry stops and continuing your journey; the ferries run frequently throughout the day and are much better value in seeing different parts of Istanbul's surrounds than the tours you can get from Eminonu which don't stop at all). I would recommend anyone travelling to Istanbul to make Hotel Ilkay your base, and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 303, in the more modern part of the hotel, with a view overlooking the street whic...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Saree_8;

Frankly, we are all flattered while reading your beautiful review here. I am not able to choose words to thank you :) By the way, I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you very much. I did not share your comments with everyone but I am sure they have already seen this.

Please do not forget us. If I may be of any kind of assistance to you in the future within Ilkay Hotel or in Istanbul, we will be so happy to hear from you. Here is my direct e-mail: faruk@istanbul.com.

Sincerely yours
Boca Raton, Floirda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed five nights here and it was average. The rooms are small but clean. We had a problem with the A/C and they were quick to change our room. The bed was not too comfortable but they added a padding under the sheets which helped a lot. They do really try to be accommodating and helpful if there is a problem. The breakfast is average, we had better at other hotels we stayed at in Turkey. We chose this hotel because it is very near to the sights you go to Istanbul to see. We were able to walk to the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia etc. We had to leave very early for our flight home and they gave us a wake up call, had arranged transportation and had a little something ready for us to eat on the way to the airport. If you are not looking for anything fancy, it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sascha07;

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. We all appreciate your critics and comments. We are happy to know you have generally enjoyed, except couple things in the hotel.

I want you to know that we pay utmost attention every kind of feedbacks and improve our services accordingly. I promise, we will work on our breakfast to make it better.

Please do not forget us and memories in Istanbul. We are glad to meet you and If you need any kind of assistance in the future, I would love to hear from you.

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in a triple room (#408) at Ilkay for one week (august 20-27). As mentioned in the hotel website, we got one night free for 7 nights reservation, free airport transport and 7% discount for cash payment. We have really enjoyed our stay in this hotel for many reasons:
1- the location is perfect for those who enjoyed staying in the old city. There was so many nice restaurants around. The Sirkeci Tramway stop was 300 m away while Gulhane stop is around 500 m away.
2- The smell of the hotel (rooms, corridor...) reflects its cleanness. We got a warm welcome letter from the staff who knows English very well. We felt we are at home.
3- The breakfast room is very clean, wide, variety of dishes: honey, omelets, French fries, cheese, tomato, cucumber, cereal, yoghurt, martadelle, fresh bread, tea, coffee, orange juice,
4- An excellent internet connection in the room. There was a free laptop access for free in the reception area.
Everything written on the website is real 100%. Very professional. I will definitely stay at this hotel during my next trip to Istanbul. It is important to note that the hotel is equipped with 3 elevators which is rare to find in an hotel located in the old city, Thank you Mrs Ceren for her quick correspondance, Mr Ramazan for his warm welcome.....You made our stay wonderful. Noha from Lebanon

Room Tip: all rooms are good, 408 was calm.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nohag;

I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you for your kind words about Ilkay Hotel. We are grateful to you sharing your experience for our future guests. Do no forget us.

If you need any kind of assistance in the future within Ilkay Hotel or in Istanbul, I would love to hear from you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Four of us took a girls trip in August 2013 and staying here was one of the highlights of our trip to Turkey. The rooms were clean and they offered quick service at every point. They provided amenities like hair dryer, hot water, drinking water, coffee and tea maker, etc. The room from our room was of a construction site however we didn't mind it since we spent very little time in the room. The breakfast is on till 1030am and is a pretty decent spread with some local Turkish cheese, honey comb... Special mention must be made for Ramazan and his team who helped us at every step with directions as well as planning our itinerary. The hotel is so well located with 2 tram stations located a couple of minutes away, the Sultanahmet region about 10 mins walk away. It was perfect. Also since we travelled to cappadocia in between, they stored our suitcases for us. All in all, when I head back to Turkey I'm definitely staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear deedeetravels;

It is very kind of you to take the time to write about us. I really appreciate your kind support. I have shared your comments with our staff and especially Ramazan. They are all happy to hear these words and send their regards to you.

If you need any assistance in the future, please contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you very much.

Goreme, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance from Haja Sophia Blue Mosque, spice market as well as ferries and tram station.
Rooms were clean and hotel serves good breakfast and 24/7 support staff on site. They even cancelled our 1st night stay without any penalties as our flight got cancelled and we flew next evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Family_NJ_USA;

Thank you for your kind comments about Ilkay Hotel. I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. How nice of you to leave a review here. We all appreciate it.

If I may be of any assistance to you either in Istanbul or within Ilkay Hotel, you can contact me directly at faruk@istanbul.com.

Faruk Boyaci

Been to Hotel Ilkay? Share your experiences!