“Basic but OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of History Hotel

History Hotel
You added History Hotel to your Saves list
History Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gencturk Cad. Sirvanizade Sok. No:14 Vefa, Fatih, Istanbul 64470, Turkey   |
Ranked #844 of 981 Hotels in Istanbul
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Basic but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel is basic, staff can be nice but not always. The room was clean and tidy and the WIFI was OK speed at most times. The breakfast was not that good and the space in which we ate was a cellar which stank of damp.

We did not book on time so the whole of the city was taken up and the prices in better hotels were sky high so I would actually recommend this hotel to anyone on budget, We paid €60 per night which for Istanbul seem to be a fair price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

• Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

The Hotel in General is a Good and nice 3*** Hotel.
Staff was nice and freindly, the Hotel manager was helpful., Breakfast was very good and fresh.
The things that are not good with the Hotel:
* The Hotel should have provided Airport transfers , but that did not happenand when I called the Hotel from the Airport upon arrival, they told me just to tak any taxi and they will pay for it !
* Same thing happened with the departure despite that I informed the Hotel twice with my transfer time and flight departure time, but it seems that shifts do not communicate with each other.
* The A/C was not working well, as they decided that the weather is OK and we don't need the A/C , so the rooms were overly hot.

The Laleli Area is not bad , but I had very bad experience , being pickpocketed twice !! but that is really not the Hotel problem, the area is not quite safe.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
the hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

we went to this hotel july 2006, great hotel, clean, good rooms with, airport service was oke personal friendly, they helped us well. location is nice and relax. Breakfast is good and outside teras is nice. I am going this year again 2008. its a very good hotel and not too expensive.

• Liked — relaxed
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oldenburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

We chose History Hotel in Turkey after reading some of the reviews, which were not too bad.
The room itself was, no doubt, clean, not smelly, nicely decorated, absolutely accceptable !
We were fist told something different, when we woke up at 5.30 the next morning, when our room neighbour was having a shower. I discovered above the ceiling void was no separating wall between the two bathrooms and you could hear everything next door. It only got worse when our room neighbour farted awfully that evening when we tried to fall asleep.
The breakfast room is a very nicely decorated vault in the basement. Unfortunately the walls seem mouldy from moisture , some areas are covered. The resulting smell was unbearable that I thought of dropping out breakfast there the following day.

• Liked — decoration
  • Disliked — smell in breakfast room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany, Ruhrgebiet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

Dear all,
my partner and myself decided to spend some days around new years eve in istanbul and as we had to look over costs I made a big research about hotels in istanbul before we decided for this hotel.

Our criterias were 1. costs (if possible under 50€ / double room), 2. cleaness ( I am very sensitive with dirt and especially smell), 3. location. If you cannot find out via the internet if the hotel is really clean and does not smell I concentrated on 1/3. I found this hotel via hrs est. 2 months in advance and the price was great (34,-€ per double room incl. breakfast), location was good as well (near old bazar in the old part of the city). They had a very nice homepage and the on the phone they were friendly, so we booked.

Here our remarks:
1. Location is great if you like old and more historical part of Instanbul. You have very good transportation (a tram station nearby) bringing you to all the important parts of Istanbul. To the great bazar, blue mosque / hagia sophia you can walk.

Nevertheless you do not have much restaurants, bars etc... nearby and in the evening is more quiet and streets are empty.

2. Rooms: small but very clean and not smelly at all! Nice furniture, windows to open, flat screen tv with int. programms and an own bathroom (small but very clean as well)

3. Hotel: great lobby, nice staff and the breakfast was not that special but ok!

So regarding the price and the performance it was not high luxus but for the price really great!!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kent, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

Of course one takes a risk booking a hotel over the internet. Maybe the bedcover will be smelly? Maybe the water will be orange with rust? Maybe this, maybe that. One can analyse it for ever..........

I glanced at the photo's on the History Hotel website and decided to stay there purely because I loved the look of the Byzantine Cistern Restaurant. Well, the bedcover looked ok in the photo...........

As soon as I arrived, the lovely staff were attentive, my case was whisked up to my room and I settled on the squidgy settee with a beer. Yum.

The room was absolutely fine, the service was great and the history does literally seep from the walls of that amazing cistern restaurant. I ate dinner there sometimes and it was lovely fresh produce at reasonable prices.

Being from UK, I found eating olives, hard boiled eggs and feta for breakfast a bit odd, but each morning, full of strong coffee and vigour, I had the most wonderful time in what is now one of my favourite cities.

Though listed as a Budget Hotel, the History Hotel really should be classed higher. Have a nice stay!

• Stayed May 2004

Been to History Hotel? Share your experiences!