“Will definitely stay here again - A great find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Erboy Hotel

You added Erboy Hotel to your Saves list
Erboy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ebusuud Street 18 Sirkeci, Eminonu Fatih, Istanbul 34210, Turkey   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #53 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alexandria, VA
“Will definitely stay here again - A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I stayed at the Erboy three nights in late May and I was very impressed. Value for money was excellent and I will definitely return to Istanbul and stay here. Therefore my overall rating is based on what one might expect compared to other hotels of the same price/caliber. Two friends from the US who are living in Istanbul saw the room and the Erboy has now become their new recommended hotel for visiting friends. I am a 46 y.o. female professional who travels for pleasure, and frequently solo. My younger days as a budget traveler have given way to more comfort and higher budget, but I don't seek luxury accomodations as I prefer to spend the money elsewhere. Therefore, I value modestly priced hotels that are safe, clean, comfortable and are in good locations. I love a great find and I consider the Hotel Erboy a great find. I do not recommend this hotel for those who like American-syle rooms, chain hotels, or who need 4-star accomodations to be satisfied.

LOCATION: For those wanting to stay in Sultanhamet , the location is excellent. Short block from tram stop. Street not a very busy one. As solo female, I felt completely safe. Walk to Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, and Topkapi in a few min. Also can walk to Grand Bazaar, to the ferries, and over Galata Bridge to Beyoglu. Private airport transfer or taxi from airport is 50 TL (approx. $30) but the light rail/tram is easy and incredibly cheap (few dollars) and I highly recommend. No stairs enroute and I never had to lift my luggage once.

ROOM: I had a room w/ two twin beds on the 3rd floor overlooking the street in front of the hotel. Basic styling but not sterile. Size was average (by European standards). Mattress firm and very comfortable with good sheets. Built-in closet/armoire and separate vanity w/ mirror and stool. Convenient wall mounted lamp over each bed w/ convenient light switch at bed level. Several electrical outlets for recharging electronics. Bathroom was spotless w/ marble tile floor and ceramic tile walls. Bar and liquid soap provided. Good shower and plenty of hot water. Some sound thru walls transferred but not bothersome. Windows glazed so street sounds (limited traffic) not a problem when window closed, but I slept w/ it open and it was fine. Room has A/C w/ remote control. Television w/ channels in French, Italian, English (incl. BBC), among others. Phone. Room service, but didn't use. Two elevators on each guest room floor.

BREAKFAST: After 3 weeks in Turkey and having seen a variety of breakfast quality, this was by far the best and most varied. Besides the typical Turkish breakfast of tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, feta, white cheese, hard cooked eggs, and bread/butter/jam, there was muesli, milk, yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, selection of breads/rolls, criossants, scrambled eggs (although runny) and REAL filtered coffee - everywhere else I got Nescafe. There was the typical salami (pink meat common throughout Turkey - they don't have pork there so it's like bologna). Ignore the "orange juice" as it's orange drink, but that was typical in Turkey not to have oj - they seem to have fruit nectars in the grocery stores. Easy to get fresh squeezed oj on the street cheaply so it didn't bother me. There were other breakfast selections I don't recal. Breakfast room is a pleasant one with linen table cloths. Of note were individually wrapped sugar cubes, a first in my month in the country where everywhere I went the sugar bowl was spoonless and saw countless hands reaching in. This was a clear commitment to hygiene.

STAFF: Consistently warm and helpful and this goes for every single individual with whom I interacted. This management is clearly focused on customer satisfaction. Ayse, the concierge, was friendly and attentive, providing me with options for group tours as well as independent exploration. I detected absolutely no pressure or push whatsoever toward tours.

ROOFTOP LOUNGE: Was open for drinks only as it was early in the season. It was charming and pleasant.

RESTAURANT: Daily specials (15 Euro for complete meal w/ appetizer, salad, and dessert). Food was decent although forgettable.

I absolutely recommend this hotel for its location, value, staff, cleanliness, and good beds.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Just got back from Istanbul and the Erboy Hotel - we had a great experience. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, the roofdeck was awesome, and best of all - it's smack in the middle of all the major sights. The big four (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar) are all within a 10 minute walk, and you get a nice view from the roofdeck. The rooms are quite basic (no frills), but I would say the bathroom was above average for a 3 star - nicer than expected. We don't typically eat at hotel restaurants, but one night we were really tired so we did eat at Erboy's restaurant and it was quite good. The Erboy is one of the better 3 star hotels I've stayed at, so I would recommend it as a great choice for budget-minded travellers. Fantastic location, good value.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

wanted a hotel with a central location since was travelling with my mum who has some mobility troubles.
Hotel was prime location for visiting allthe major attractions, all within 10 min walk and if you needed a taxi there were plenty passing the hotel as it was a quite a major route for passing taxis.
the tram stop is also just at the end of the street where the is also a british style pub.
there is a shop opposite for basic drinks etc but found a tiny supermarket on the main road parallel to the hotel road just down the hill where u could get water etc cheaper.
Breakfast had a wide choice , i am quite a picky eater abroad but managed to find something to eat each morning ..
Our room (409) not very big but fine for us as we spent all day out and only came back in the evening to relax and sleep. Mian thing it was clean and the bathroom was clean and our shower was lovely.
Am planning on going back to istanbul at some point for a girly holiday and would def choose it again , for the money you pay it is a grea bargain and location is perfect!!

Oh and also you get free internet access through out the hotel , i took my lap top and was nice to beable to come back and use it whenver i wanted or needed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Nijverdal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed for six days at this nice hotel. The Erboy is situated excellent. The Topkapi palace, the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia are very nearby. So are the Galatabridge and the bazaars. Around the corner you will find the tram station.
The staff is friendly and the rooms are very clean. Each morning we have had a very good breakfast.
The rooms are good but a bit old-fashioned.
Ask for the restaurant guide of the Sirkezy group. Every evening we have had a very fine dinner with good food. The restaurant in the hotel serves good meals.
Value for money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

We chose the hotel, as we do for all our foreign travel, based on previous tripadvisor reviews. Everything was excellent from our welcome at reception on arrival to our final breakfast before departure. The hotel seemed to be quite busy with people coming and going most of the time. As we had booked directly with the hotel, we benefited from complimentary dinner on the first night. We were pleasantly surprised to have a full choice from the a la carte menu - and meal was execllent.
Our fairly small room (510) on the 5th floor (the only non-smoking floor) was very clean but you needed to be very agile to climb into the bath/shower. As you spend so little time in the room, the size was not a problem.
If drinking in the hotel - take care of the 2 for 1 beer offer advertsised in reception ONLY applies to reception on not the Terrace Bar. This caused some confusion to a number of guests.
As previously reported the hotel is very central with most sites easily within walking
distance.
Overall a very good, clean, friendly and good value hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

the staff was very kind, the room is clean, confortable and luminous.
It's well connected with the main tourist locations!!!
A very good choice...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed 5 nights in April.
Great hotel, perfect location, very friendly and helpful staff, wonderful breakfast, rooms are clean, price is ok. Next the hotel you can find a lot of other nice places to eat and drink. (but believe me the restaurant of the hotel is really very good)
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Erboy Hotel? Share your experiences!