“Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Star

You added Hotel Grand Star to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Star
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Siraselviler Cad. No:45 D:1 Taksim, Beyoglu, Istanbul 34437, Turkey   |
Ranked #777 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed 2 nights in the Hotel Butik Star managed by and situated in the same building as Hotel Grand Star, I guess I can write my review here. This has been the worst stay ever in a hotel, the room was noisy but clean but the service is absolutely miserable. Not helpful and not friendly at all. Way too expensive for what you get !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for four nights.

Generally, I presume most people get fairly good rates when they stay here (less than, or up to slightly more than, US $100 per night). If that is the case, then staying here is a good option.

The hotel does market itself as a four star hotel. This seems a bit misleading.
Anyway, I would rather stay in a decent three star hotel than a four star hotel where my expectations are not met.

The Good:

Location. Located just a few minutes walk from Istiklal Ave, you cannot find a better location for the price you pay at the Hotel Grand Star, as Istanbul hotels can get very expensive.

Also, if you are someone who takes the airport bus rather than take a taxi, this hotel is perfect. The hotel is not far from Taksim Square and the bus stop that goes direct to either airport. About a 10 minute walk away.

Internet/Wifi worked well, though there were a couple of points where I did have connections issues, but I was able to fix it rather quickly.

The Not-So-Good

Breakfast did have several options, but was very typical hotel food, and average at best.
Also freshly squeezed orange juice is available, but you have to pay extra (I think 8 Turksih Lira)

My room was located on the ground floor! I think it was the only room option on the ground floor. I was squeezed in between the bar and the service elevator! Since it is only one room, chances are you won’t be placed in it, so you don’t have to worry. However, I saw the rooms of several of my other colleagues (we all paid the same), and their rooms were nicer, though they did vary. Some were larger rooms, others had nicer décor, others had larger beds etc.

Overall, the room was adequate, though on the small side. My room did have a nice view, however.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went to Istanbul this month for a few nights and was booked at this hotel. The location was great, the waiters and bartenders were great, but just the people at the front desk weren't very helpful and never smiled. My girlfriend and I stood waiting at the desk asking for directions, but the people behind the desk at the time though it was best that we should be ignored, so we walked away.The bathrooms had a bit of a funny smell, but I went to other hotels of friends at the time and they had the same problem, so it just must've been some local plumbing. We wanted to use the hottub in the spa salon, but was told that the waiter can only go luke warm, so it was pretty useless for me as I like it hot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

First of all I would like to stay many thanks for the staff. They were so nice with us and helpful. The breakfast was fresh and tastefull. we had big turkish breakfast. Room was clean and tidy. and also ıt was big enough. Location is wonderfull. You can reach everywhere so easily and it is in the center of Istanbul. And It has got a breathtaking sea view. I will advice to all my friend and I would like to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel was in an amazing location. It was in the middle of Taksim, within walking distance of amazing shopping and great restaurants. I love the area in large part because it gives you a great view of modern, city living in Turkey. You'll be able to interact with a lot of Turkish people living their daily lives (shopping, eating, going to work, etc).

The hotel is well-kept and comfortable (although I'm not sure I'd call it a luxury, '4 star hotel').

My room was absolutely wonderful. It was a great size (I had a "superior room", which featured 1 queen sized bed and a spare twin bed) but, more importantly, it had a balcony that overlooked the water and the countryside. The balcony had a table and chairs, so I could have breakfast overlooking the water. I didn't want to check out.

Be advised that many of the hotel staff speak only Turkish. But there always try to have some staff on hand that speak English and other languages. Elif was wonderful!

Tips: I saw a few of my colleagues' rooms and trust me: not all rooms in this hotel are created equal. Some rooms are on the street level or lower. Lower means no sunlight. The street level rooms are particularly noisy, as my Chief of Staff discovered the hard way. I, however, had an amazing room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A decent 4 stars hotel with a very good location. Close to the Taksim Square which is heart of the city and transport possibilities to any part of the city is very good. Close to the airport shuffle stop. And very good service and smiley personel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MUSTAFAK, General Manager at Hotel Grand Star, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear our valued guets,
Thank you in deed for your good piont. You are very sensetive human .
You gaved us the courage which we are muchly pleased.
We would like to see you again in our star hotels group hotels.
Sincerely yours.
Mustafa Küçükçakan
Fethiye
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

3 nights here on business and it's very busy due to central location.
Decor is a bit dated and the Internet connection was not constant.
My tv didn't work and they promised a technician but no one came, it was late at night so I just went to sleep but I was not pleased.
Dirty cups left on the corridor table were there 3 days , poor housekeeping.
Breakfast adequate but better to go out in istiklal and eat there.
If you get this as a bargain book it , if not look for other deals in this location .

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your valued point which we are honoured . İstanbul is very crovded city . That is good advantage to be at the heart of the city's life. Hope to see you again in our star hotels group
Sincerely yours
Mustafa Küçükçakan

Been to Hotel Grand Star? Share your experiences!