“Vardar Hotel in Taksim” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vardar Palace Hotel

You added Vardar Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Vardar Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Siraselviler Cad. No:16 Taksim, Beyoglu, Istanbul 34433, Turkey   |
Ranked #464 of 981 Hotels in Istanbul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

I only chose to stay at this hotel as a stop over choice, I needed to be near to Taksim Square for the Airport bus in the morning. Despite being located about 300 metres away, I was charged $20 in a taxi!! When I arrived I was absolutely shocked!! This hotel rates itself as a 4 star but it was no better than a college dorm room. The single room was so small that I did not need to use a remote control from the bed! The room faced a dirty brick wall that let in no light for the whole day. In the bathroom, you could hear the conversations from next doot through the vent.

Breakfast was very basic but probably its redeeming feature.

The next day, determined not to be duped by another taxi driver, I asked reception to call me a cab and even gave them the money to negotiate the 2 minute journey to Taksim Square (with luggage) as I noticed that the taxi driver's general command of English wasn't so good. They sent the 'bell boy' to do this on my behalf. I was horrifed to learn that when I got to Taksim, no money had changed hands and I had to pay the driver again!! I don't know who to believe - the hotel or taxi driver.

• Liked — Near to Taksim Square
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sharjah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

it was a good hotel with a very polite and nice staff, and it was really clean but the only problem they had is the breakfast which was really poor in which you can only find the primary stuff (cheese, salami, olives, boiled eggs) and as I believe this doesn't suit a 4 star hotel. Other than that there is the fact that is located near Taksim square which made it really good for shopping but extremely noisy especially at night.
but the good thing about it is that the staff was extremely cooperative with us and they showed us all the important sites in Istanbul on the map and taught us how to get there and they even taught us how and from where to get the metro... but the only key to let them help you is by asking them politely otherwise you won't get a thing

• Liked — staff and it was clean
  • Disliked — breakfast though it wasn't that bad
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
europa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Vardar Palace Hotel...
What's there to say about it?
First of all, it is not as great as it sems in the Internet photos. It is an OK hotel, but that is all.
You can get a room that faces the main street and then you'll have the "plasure" of a noisy street or, if you are lucky, you'll get a room that has a "magnificen viw" towards an old, deserted building. Actually, during my one week stay I was quite reluctant to oppening my window. I only kept it opened when I was in my room and awake.
The breakfast was ok, as long as you like cheese and boiled eggs :) No chance of getting eggs in any other form.
The stuff was ok. A bit too insistent to talk to you.
Regarding this, the strangest think was that they have a "no visitors" policy that they do not mention on their web site. This means that you are not allowed to get visits in your room or on the hotel's terrace. The only place you can meet with a friend is in the hotel lobby where you have no privacy at all. I even got the surprise that the reception guy gave me and my friend his oppinion about what we were talking about! ANd nobody asked for his oppinion, not to mention that it was supposed to be a private conversation.
So, do not be surprised if you will not be able to have a private talk in the hotel.
It is an ok hotel as long as you only want to sleep there after a long day. Still, the price is quite high for that!!!

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — You have no privacy: the cleaning person knoks and enters immediately if you do not answer quikly enough; you are not allowed to have visitors!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

This is going to be a long review because I have a lot to say about the Vardar "Palace" Hotel and Istanbul for tourists. I don't like to complain all that much but usually when you are motivated to take the time to write a review online, it's because a place was great or not so good. This hotel and city gave me more of the latter feeling like it was all just a huge rip off to a tourist. I flew jn from Kuwait (I'm American working there for several years now) on a 3 day weekend short trip, to see the "sites" and experience the nightlife, picking this hotel because it was near Taskim Square and I read a few reviews that this area was loaded with disco's. OK so that was the plan, the airfare was only around 225 USD roundtrip so I figured I could afford it even if just for 2 1/2 days.

First bad news was when I arrived, I flew into Sabiha airport (Jazeera air has great sale prices but I've now twice flown into smaller airports that are far away and you end up paying through the nose in taxi fare). The duty free place since I arrived at 22:00 and wanted some liqour (none in Kuwait), was the first rip off. They put the prices in Euro's and then rip you off on the exchange rate, by the time it was converted to US dollars on my credit card, two fifths of whiskey (one Chevas and one Johnny Red) came out to 120.00 USD on my credit card, not a great start. I think liqour stores are available in town so the duty free store was a mistake to do.

Taxi ride to Taskim from Sabiha Airport, I read to make sure they use a meter Taxi, which I did. Cost for a 35 minute ride was 78.00 Turk Lira, then the driver said it was 90.00 Lira to pay for tolls, ok, that kind of hurt but what am I to do? Going back to the airport I was charged 58.00 lira for another meter taxi and no charge for the tolls, I tipped the secong guy but not the first feeling pretty ripped off, I never pay that much for taxi's anywhere I've traveled and I have seen a lot of this planet.

Checkin into Vardar "Palace", the sign out front said something like your special place FYI, LOL! Anyway they had my reservation at the desk even though they never replyied to my emails to confirm the room like I asked. They questioned if I wanted a single or double room since I was by myself, I asked for a double so I would not get a closet to sleep in, happy I did that. Checked into a room on the second floor in the back, happy I got that as well. The front has no view and the traffic in the street is very very noisy.

Room was clean and bed comfortable. I asked the front desk for an adapter plug so I could run my laptop, no luck on that. I figured that if I offered a tip I could get better service on the plug, the guy who worked at night after I said I'd give him 20 lira to find me a plug came up with a plug, imagine that! Now get this, he says its his personal plug for his cell phone and I could only use it for one hour! I asked him what time he got off and I got it extended till 8 am (its midnight when I got the stupid plug, no big freaking deal to find in the town during the day). So you get my drift that these people are kind of heartless and only out for a quick buck.

Food inside this "4 star" rip off is another joke and you know how you can tolerate one bad thing (taxi), then two bad thigs (front desk idiot), but upon waking up for the "breakfast" it really set me off. They only served bread and cold cheap cheese and salami.
I asked the staff for some cooked eggs (no meat , mind you just eggs as they had hard boiled eggs there) the manager said cooked eggs are only at the 5 star hotels! I loaded up a plate of cold cuts and cheese and left it on the table uneaten in front of all the other tourists there to show my displeasure, and walked out to McDonalds because I was hungry and didn't want any more Turkish surprises.They do serve cooked eggs at the Turkish McDonlads just not at the Vardar "Palace". Room service is available 24 hours 7 days a week, just drinks though no food, no drink list either so don't even go there or your really asking to be raped. I restocked my mini fridge with beers at the many stores in the street.

Taskim has a lot of history, it seemed to be very old, the streets very narrow, I walked around a lot arriving on a Saturday night, went into about a dozen bars, usually one drink minimum for 6 to 10 lira cover charge. The typical "club" was a one story place about the size of a studio apartment in NYC and totally wall to wall people, a real death trip if a fire broke out and you had to walk always to the back through trongs of bodies t get to the bar, it reminded me of when I rode on a Tokyo train they were all that packed. I didn't see many torists, 95% Turks. The only Turks that spoke to me were hustlers in the street (At least 6 to 10 during my stay). They approach you talking in Turkish and ask for a light, as a lead to talk (I was smoking), I usually didnt say anything back but when ever I did, they always said, oh your not Turkish in English. This was ment as come on compliment and then it would be lets go have a beer. I blew them all off, I got bored my second night there and talked some more to see where it would go, it was just a come on to get into some rip off, I never went into a place with them.

I did see Turkey, and although I spent 1,000.00 USD total with my airfare, hotel and booze and food and of course the high taxi roundtrip to Sabiha airport, for a 2 1/2 day stay it was a good learning experience, it sure beat the many times higher price I would have paid in airfare from America that I may have done later on in life, no I don't plan on a repeat visit to Turkey, lol. I rate the trip above Cyprus (at least I found some good food, unlike there), but the nightlife was nothing to write home about and the prices and people were expensive and looking to totally rip you off. If your working in the Middle East like me my favorite place has been Bahrain, pretty good value there and a much nicer Hotel with a nighclub, room service, pool and cheaper to boot!. If you really want to see Turkey see it for the history only and go in a pre paid tour only, otherwise buyer beware you will get took. I'm not sure the Vardar was bad as far as Turkish standards go but it was bad as far as WORLD standards go. Oh and of course they got me on the exchange rate checking out taking on another 30.00 USD for my stay then what I was quoted in Euro's on Booking.com. Just grin and bear it and move on. Attached are pics of my "view" and also inside the hotel they are using the lobby downstairs as a storage area for mattresses, also a pic of the 4 or 5 POLICE RIOT buses parked at Taskim square, they were getting ready for something!

• Liked — Not Much, Go On A Guided Pre Paid Tour and Have them Book You Decent Place.
  • Disliked — Read My Review You Will Understand.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Uzice, Serbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

Stayed here during business trip to Istanbul. First of all, when you book your hotel in Istanbul, think twice what you want to see and what you want to do there. Istanbul is a huuge city, and staying far away from your points of interests coud be a real trouble. Pretty bad public transport, big traffic shufle, and if you use a taxi keep your eyes wide open. This hotel is very close to Taksim square, and major shopping - pedestrian street in Istanbul. When I say shopping, you can find a lot of stores of all kind all around Istanbul, but here I think about some decent, quality, stuff. Fashion and clothes mostly. In this street (about 3 minute walk from hotel) you can find some good fashion stores and boutiques, some antique shops, pattiseries, restaurants, cake shops, etc... Quality wise speaking, similar places with quality goods (besides this street), I only saw in two big shopping malls in other parts of town (about 20-25 taxi drive both). But don't be surprise when you see that quality stuff (from Turkish fashion companies for example), are not that cheap.

Now about hotel: Most of the hotels I saw in Istanbul are usually rated as a 4 star. Most of them are not that level. This is small hotel with decent rooms and very good location. Beds are nice, something called good view from the room does'nt exist, (personally I looked to wall of other building from my window.) (see photo of the room and the view). But, I wasn't on holiday, didn't spend a lot of time in the room, and that didn't bother me. What bothered me was pretty bad condition of the bathroom, which was pretty small, with a bath, sink, tiles and other stuff probably from the late 70's. (see the photos of the bathroom). Breakfast was basic as can be (much worse than any 3-star in EU countries). Very small lobby , and despite rated (by God knows who), as a 4 star, this hotel doesn't have bar where you can have a drink or cofee. In mini bar (old, ruined piece of furniture from 70's), only drink was coca-cola and sparkling water, if I remember well (see the photo of the mini bar).

Actually, before traveling, I visited their web site, and saw the pics there, and after coming to hotel I tought I made some mistake by telling taxi driver the hotel name. Then I checked again, and yes my friend that's the same hotel you've booked. Yes, hotel web sites and pics there could be misleading, but that's why we are all here to tell the right story.
Overall, in Istanbul you can see a lot of interesting stuff, and spend couple amuzing days. Just be aware of taxi drivers (ask for a price before entering in ), don't go to night clubs without some Turkish friends, and whatever you are buying always argue and negotiate about the price. Speaking about hotels (including this one), they are almost always overrated, but on the other hand, they are not expensive neither.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor bathroom, minibar
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Well the vardar palace was really nice and clean, and is a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for the night life that Taxim offers, But its really not for me. My room was facing the street and there was loud music untill all odd hours of the morning. If you don't mid the noise then i would go for it. The doubble rooms are big, but the large singles rooms are not that large, and the bathroom in the single room is the size of an airplane loo. The breakfast is nothing to write home about, and the staff is rather surly.

• Liked — That it was very clean and not carpeted
  • Disliked — the Bathroom and the Surly staff
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vardar Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!