“Simply the best...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Valide Sultan Konagi

You added Hotel Valide Sultan Konagi to your Saves list
Hotel Valide Sultan Konagi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cankurtaran Mah. Kutlugun Sok. No/1 Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34122, Turkey (Sultanahmet - Old City)   |
Ranked #165 of 945 Hotels in Istanbul
Friuli Venezia Giulia
“Simply the best...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed in this hotel in November for 4 nights with a group of friends during our visit in Istanbul. We booked two rooms. The rooms were wide (also well-dimensioned bathroom) and very very clean. One fo the two double room we booked, was a triple room.
Hotel's position is perfect! It is near the most important monuments. You can reach Santa Sofia and Topkapi in 2 minutes on foot (you can also see them form windows). However there are no noises during the night. Breakfast is rich and various (salt and sweet) with some turkish speciality. It is served in a panoramic breakfast-room on the roof top.
But I think that the great difference is made from the hotel's staff! The reception staff (Ferdi, Veysel and Gokhan) is polite, can speak English fluently, and they are very very professional. Ferdi gave us some important advices about monuments and itineraries: I think that all hotels should have employee like them. I suggest this hotel to who is interested to have a good position for city tours (you don't need public transportation to visit the city) and a structure in which you feel as at home!!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been visiting Istanbul several times a year for the past 40 years and have stayed in hotels from modern Taxim to ancient Sultanahmet – some good and others not. In the more than 100 countries I have visited, I always seek a hotel I can call “home” and I like to get to know the staff. For years I stayed at the Armada Hotel but being popular with the German tourists it got a bit pricey– not too pricey for its excellent service and amenities mind you—just a bit much for my longer stays. I decided to give the Valide Sultan Hotel down the road a shot, which for 70 Euros seemed a great deal. After staying there a number of times I thought I had found the perfect mix between cost and service. I found out on my last stay I was dead wrong. I arrived at night after two very tough weeks in Iraq (where I own a tour company which thanks to ISIS is not doing so great) to find they had sold my room to someone else. It was a busy night they explained and it did not matter that I had a reservation and was a frequent guest.

But to keep me from the street they offered to put me in an apartment across the street (a half-mile a way by the way). I accepted as it was late and I was tired. Big mistake. No phone – no room service – nothing in the fridge – no tea or coffee – nothing except a bottle of water. Five flights of stairs to climb—no elevator—but the worst came later. It was across the street from Arasta Bazaar where a Sufi dancer delights audiences until after midnight to the accompaniment of VERY loud drums and flute. Don’t get me wrong I like the Sufi dancer but sleep was impossible until they closed for the night.

After a full day of meetings the next day I went to the lobby of the Valide Sultan and asked to see the manager. She sent a message to me via the rather arrogant new receptionist that she would not have time to meet me and offered to pay for one of my two nights stay. She also informed me I could now come back to the hotel, as my normal room was now empty. WOW! – thanks. Long story short I rejected the offer, as I had no intention of making the half-mile hike again for a few hours sleep (3AM departure). The manager (one of two sisters that run the hotel) sent another message via the now very arrogant receptionist “Tough luck – then you can pay for both nights if you do not like my very generous first offer.” Lesson learned. It’s back to the Armada. The extra cost is well worth it. Beware the Valide Sultan Hotel- you may find yourself dancing with a whirling dervish all night with nothing to eat or drink. The upside is that climbing up and down five flights of stairs is good for the heart – so they say.

Signed...
Sleepless in Istanbul

• Stayed November 2014
St. Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Besides being perfectly located, this hotel gets extra high marks for cleanliness, quality of food, and especially service. From the nice selection at the morning's breakfast to the last glass of raki in the evening, I can find nothing negative to say!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

We just spent 4 nites at this property and were very pleased! The location is outstanding...just a short 5 min. walk down the hill from Hagia Sophia following along the palace wall. The view from our room (Rm. 305 is at the front of the hotel) offered a direct view of the massive Hagia Sophia from one set of windows and of the Palace wall and Bosphorus from the front windows. The tiny balcony (big enough for 2 to stand on but no room for chairs) allowed a partial view of the Blue Mosque as well.
Third floor was not a problem since an elevator is available but the spiral staircase is certainly doable as well. Easy access to the 4th floor breakfast room and surrounding terrace. I did not notice any noise from the restaurant just above us. One negative: the terrace is not open if the restaurant is closed so we were unable to enjoy a glass of wine at night while taking in the beautifully lit mosque and Bosphorus. This was contrary to what we were told by the hotel prior to arrival.
Our room was a 'triple' with 2 twin beds but still small with just enough room for two chairs and a small table. There was only room to place one suitcase so carry-on bags and our other large suitcase had to remain on the floor. The bathroom was small but nicely done in marble. The a/c was 'off' I believe which proved to be the case throughout Turkey in mid/late October. We kept the 4 windows and balcony door open to allow some cooler air to circulate.
There is some noise at the hotel's location but unless you're a really light sleeper was not a problem for us. Taxis and small tour buses tend to gather in front of the hotel due to its location at the foot of the short cobblestone street leading up to Hagia Sophia. Through traffic up the hill is not allowed so this is a drop-off and turn-around spot. Also, with the Hagia Sophia so close, there is a call to prayer blasted from the minarets 5 times a day. Since we spent very little time inside the hotel the only one that was problematic was the 6:00 a.m. I use earplugs for sleeping anyway so it wasn't so bad and unless you plan on sleeping late it shouldn't be a problem.
Breakfast is at 7:30 and the buffet provides a nice assortment of Turkish dishes plus cereals, some breads (not a large selection), and some scrambled eggs (sometimes mixed with slices of what tasted like kielbasa). Rambo, the man in charge of breakfast, is friendly and provides exceptional service. Both indoor and outdoor terrace seating is available.
The hotel does make an attempt to promote its tours and preferred restaurants, but they were not over-bearing. The room safe was inoperable but the hotel has a safe deposit box available behind the front desk. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. Location is outstanding with an easy walk up hill to the mosques, palace, and tram or down hill to the restaurants along Kennedy Blvd.
We would highly recommend the hotel and would strongly consider staying there again on our next visit to Istanbul!

Room Tip: The best views are on the upper floors. Rooms at the front of the hotel could have a mosque/bosphor...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014 via mobile

A huge thank you to all the members of staff , naming a few Ferdi, Rambo, Mamoud, Faizel.
The hotel offers the perfect location to explore Istanbul, with plenty of restaurants very close bye and next to Tokapi Palace.
The Hotel is extremely clean everywhere. Breakfast is excellent and offers plenty of choice for everybody's tastes.
Our room 303 was a twin, it was a little on the small side but very clean and comfortable.
It is a family run hotel and it shows they care about their customers.
All in all we would certainly stay there again.

Our kindest regards to all the extremely helpful pleasant staff.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights for part 1 of our first trip to Istanbul. The location of the hotel could not have been better. Don't be thrown off by the fact that the hotel is not on a busy main street, you will be thankful later.

Rooms: We had a room on the third floor overlooking the Bosphorus. The room was not huge but it was very comfortable. Very comfortable beds- best sleep we had. Great size bathroom. Free Wifi- always worked.

Breakfast: We loved having breakfast in the rooftop restaurant. Excellent selection of food. The restaurant staff was so friendly and nice. They made us feel very much at home. We also ended breakfast by having coffee outside on the terrace- with an upclose view of the Hagia Sophia and Bosphorus.

Location: This was the best part. You are within very easy walking distance of all the main attractions. The Topkapi Palace is 5 minutes away. In 10 minutes you reach the main square where you can go to Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. It's located on a quiet street so you are away from the hustle and bustle of all the tourists but extremely close where you can walk to everything.

Staff: They were so friendly and really hospitable. They treat their guests like family.

I would highly recommend this hotel. The next time we are in Istanbul, we will definitely be returning here.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We booked this hotel directly with the owner and was very impressed with the price and the service.

Although we are quite au fait with turkish lifestyle, the reception staff were very helpful in recommending local attractions, tours (which we don't tend to go on) without being pushy, and local restaurants.

The hotel itself is situated literally 50 yards from the entrance of Topkapi palace, and as such is very close to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern and Sultanahmed square. Big tourist area but it was lovely to know it wasn't a long walk to the hotel at any time of the hot day.

The room was good in terms of size and was cleaned every day to a high standard.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to be close to the heart of Sultanahmed. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go through a broker site, email them through the site they often have offers on airport tr...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Valide Sultan Konagi? Share your experiences!