“Robyn S Ayasofya hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ayasofya Hotel

You added Ayasofya Hotel to your Saves list
Ayasofya Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kucuk Ayasofya Mah. Demirci Resit Sok. No:28 Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul 34400, Turkey   |
Ranked #92 of 828 Istanbul B&B and Inns
gold coast
“Robyn S Ayasofya hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My Friend and i stayed in this lovely boutique hotel twice,and loved every minute of it,nothing was to much trouble for Gaye and her staff.The rooms were clean and tidy with a very homely feeling to them, and the terrace was great to have a pre dinner drink before going out to dinner.One of the best things about this Hotel is location,location, i'ts 5-10 min walk to the Blue mosque,Haghia Sophia,Grand Bazaar,and other sites.If you are visiting Istanbul this is a great place to stay,and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Turkish first
Canakkale, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I had stayed at the Ayasofya twice before, and was glad to do so again now that it's under the care of Gaye Reeves. Once we swapped a smaller side room for one of the larger, front, rooms we were happy. The Turkish breakfast is, as other reviewers have mentioned, a bit ho-hum, but Gaye and most of her staff are helpful. On leaving we confirmed that we would be returning about ten days later, and asked for the same room, or kind of room. On returning one of the desk staff had given it away to a walk-in customer and we faced a choice between a smaller room or a very slightly larger room at a higher price. We chose the more expensive option, but I must say were unimpressed that a request could be overturned by a walk-in - what does a reservation mean? Despite this disappointment, we still enjoyed our stays at the Ayasofya. Its location is ideal - a few minutes walk from the Hippodrome - and its size is ideal. The mixup we encountered seems to be endemic to hotel management in Turkey - good luck Gaye!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front - the ones with window boxes - they are lighter, charming and slightly l...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I loved staying at this gorgeous boutique hotel. Everything from the Terrace for drinks, cosy breakfast room to the perfect location for walking to Istanbul's major attractions. I stayed in 3 different rooms during separate visits ranging from very small to sharing a suite with another couple and I was happy in all of them even though the bathroom in one room may have been smallish - it's what you expect in a very old building in a very old country. The people who have made complaints about not being given the right size bed, the size of bathrooms and the plumbing obviously have no understanding of staying in very old cities in small hotels......go and stay in the big ones who have everything you want - and pay for it!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We have just spent four nights staying at the Ayasofya Hotel and loved every minute of it. Our room was clean and quiet with a large modern bathroom with a super-efficient shower. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and we made a point of starting, and sometimes finishing, our evenings on the hotel terrace with a nice cold drink. The breakfasts were great - lots of dried fruits and cereals and also a different Turkish delicacy every day. Last but not least Gay was a great host and was able to answer all our questions, including the best time to visit the treasure of a little mosque nearby which seemed to always be closed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My stay at Ayasofya Hotel was literally the most frustrating and disappointing hotel experience I have ever had.

To begin, I requested a room with a queen bed for my girlfriend and I and was told that my request would be granted. However, that was a bold-faced lie: the room they gave us had two twin beds and not a double. Thus, my girlfriend and I tried to share a twin-bed to sleep together, and needless to say, we did not sleep well. Furthermore, the bathroom was absolutely disgusting: The toilet seat was filthy and the toilet did not flush, I could barely fit into the shower, and the shower water very easily overflowed and flooded the (very small) bathroom. Lastly, breakfast was terrible - the selection of foods were much smaller than at other hotels I stayed at (there was no dried fruit, a staple of any traditional Turkish breakfast) and the food did not taste well.

When I complained to the staff they initially told him that they could not do anything about it and that instead we had to better "appreciate" that the hotel is a historic building. The owner clearly did not care because, as she told me, the demand for hotels are so high in Istanbul that people were supposedly "dying" to stay in my room (upon further prodding she finally agreed to give me a very small discount).

Needless to say, I will never go back to Ayasofya Hotel again. I have stayed in other hotels at Istanbul for the same price that were all remarkably better in terms of food, service, attitude and quality of the room.

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gayagypsy, Owner at Ayasofya Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
If there was a star rating for guests I wouild allocated a 0 to this guest.!

He had booked a standard room - standard rooms have normal double or twin beds. He did not book a deluxe or suite with a queen bed. As the hotel was full he was unfortunately allocated twin beds which I know is upsetting if you are on a romantic weekend with your partner. However it was all we had available and the beds were put together to assist them.

The guest harassed my staff, woke other guests during the night after coming back to the hotel under the influence of alcohol. He sat at reception with loud and rude behavouir at middnight!

He proceeded to tell me he would write a bad review on trip advisor if I did not give him a free night. I explained that we do not bribe guests or give away free nights for good reviews. We did give him a 10% discount because of lack of a double bed.

We could not move him because the hotel was full - people were wandering the streets looking for hotel rooms, so we could not move him to another room or hotel, If I knew there were hotel rooms available I would have asked him to leave.

I always try to see the guests side of things and my staff bend over backwards to help. But the only thing I can say I would never let this guest stay at Ayasofya again!!

Our breakfast certainly does have dried fruit, apricots, raisins, museli, dried figs walnuts, yoghurt, home made james, honey, eggs cheese - there is a healthy wide selection and I complimented every day on how fresh and healthy it is.
Ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

The location is PERFECT a 5 minute walk from the tram as well as the main tourist attractions in Sultanahmet. Sitting on the roof terrace with an Efes in hand looking out over the Bosphorus was a real pleasure. But most importantly everyone was really welcoming and extremely kind and helpful! Good people and a good hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
mexico city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Not my first choice but in an interesting part of town and fairly handy to transportation. But get it at better rate.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ayasofya Hotel? Share your experiences!