“Tasty courgette” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 371 shopping in Istanbul
Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Coffeehouses, Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: When it opened in 1957, the Pudding Shop was a gathering place and information center for travelers heading across Europe and Asia. Today, this city landmark offers food and drink to tourists and locals.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Tasty courgette”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My guidebook recommended this restaurant. Turned out to be a good place for dinner. Had vine leaves which were delicious. For main course I had a massive courgette stuffed with some sort of soft cheese. It was good despite its appearance. My friend had a stuffed aubergine which she loved. It was the best thing she ate during the whole trip.
Staff were friendly.
I had a pudding too which was good but nothing to rave about - chocolate pud.
Good place for some nice turkish food especially compared to the touristy places along the street which serve pasta etc.

Visited February 2012

Sarasota, Florida
39 attraction reviews
“For a quick bite to eat on Divan Yolu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Just okay, perhaps resting on its historic past. Have a rice pudding for me!

Spain
28 attraction reviews
“Just standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We visited the Pudding Shop as it was listed in a guide book...and we spotted it as we walked from the Sultanahmet tram station towards the Cisterna Basiica.
It may have had earned a place in history ...but unfortunately the restaurant has also stayed in the past. It is now a very standard fast food restaurant with some interesting press cuttings on the walls. The food was reasonable but there are many restaurants/cafeterias in the area that would provide better food in a nicer setting.
If you are in the area and want to drop in .fine..but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit and I have no idea why it would even be listed as an attraction in Istanbul...!

Visited November 2011
Mount Shasta, California
7 attraction reviews
“Where east funnels through to the west;west to the east, travelers meet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Wow, the Pudding shop is located in central Istanbul, closeby is the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Saint Sophia, and fabulous public bathouse. All are walking distance from the Pudding Shop. Back in the day, you could park your car in the public lot outside the pudding shop, and pay $2.00 for 12 hours. I don't know the rate currently, but it is a perfect place to camp for a week, and live on the cheap. Of course you'll need a camper tyoe vehicle or a Volkswagon bus like I drove with Jan in 1974. There are also cheap hotels in the vicinity as well. I'm sure Sammy is still there, like he was in the seventies. Perhaps if I can include the video here, that will tell it all . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQaZ4RCmSU It just doesn't get better than the story that I've included about life for the independent traveler on the road in Istanbul. I've done it, and I loved it. Happy travels, all! :) Rog

Visited October 2010
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
“Assembly line fast food, Turkish style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We came in for lunch and noticed that everyone was essentially ordering the same dish, kofte, so we did too. It was just okay, as were the puddings. As we left, we saw dozens of already plated kofte waiting to be served, with the chefs making more as fast as they could. Visit it if you want to see the articles on the wall & get a sense of the location, but if you miss it, it won't be a tragedy. The food is overpriced for what you get. There are plenty of Turkish restaurants that serve the same food for lower prices.

Despite its history, I'm not sure why TripAdvisor puts this under attractions instead of restaurants. As an attraction I would rate it poor, especially vs. the Blue Mosque. My rating is for the Pudding Shop as a restaurant.

Visited April 2011