“Never left the hotel...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah

Save Saved
You added Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah to your Saves list
Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mesrutiyet Cad. Tepebasi, No:52 | Beyoglu, Istanbul 34430, Turkey   |
Special Offer
Stay 3 nights, pay for 2
Ranked #76 of 920 Hotels in Istanbul
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Never left the hotel...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

...granted I was there for a 24 hour transit enroute to Africa. The hotel reflects the history and elegance of a grand era where I can imagine guests adorned like the characters from Downton Abbey having high tea and cocktails before dinner. When I travel I always choose the property with the greatest history and grandeur --all of the Raffles properties in Cambodia, Burma and Singapore, the Moana Hotel in Honolulu, the Oriental in Bangkok, The Milestone Hotel in London, etc. and this one is in that league of those grand dames although more buotique in size...so I ignored the highest rated hotels because my values don't include wanting the largest plasma screen TV or a Philippe Starck interior----as classic service and elegance never go out of style. From the moment I was picked up by the hotel luxury car, to the graciousness of the bellman, to riding in a 100 year old elevator, I felt as if I had entered an era where grace and elegance pervaded. The service was impeccable, with most of the staff knowing my name within minutes. The room, while small, by American standards, was glorious with its high ceilings and crown moldings, and classic but new furnishings with nods to the Orient Express (the hotel was the last stop on the train's route and Agatha Cristy and other writers wrote here) with 1920s style leather bound volumes of the room service menu. The hotel has been completely renovated so while there is the classic elegance there are Ipod/Iphone I-phone docks, and wireless internet. The french doors opened on to a small balcony sufficient for drinks and a romantic view of the Golden Horn and the Old City in the background. During my very short visit from 6 pm to 6 pm the next day, I soaked in the claw footed tub, dined at the Agatha Christie restaurant and had what must be one of the top ten best meals of my life and a full bodied Turkish Cabernet. The service was attentive, confident but not instrusive. I appropriately brought a spy novel to read over dinner...And I was attended to by both a male and female server who were eager to offer suggestions of their favorites. The dinner was leisurely , with three courses and when I left at 10:30 I was one of the last patrons to leave. I slept soundly for 14 hours on a comfortable bed with exquisite linen and a down pillow with a menu of pillow options based on preference. Since I had slept through breakfast and lunch, I had high tea in what looked like to be the original library room with soaring ceilings and a jazz pianist playing American Jazz standards. I felt as if I spent 24 dreamlike hours in another time and world and after the rat race of preparing to leave on my travels which have now taken me to Africa (with no female servers or executives to be seen) then on to Asia (ditto) , I needed the 24 hour respite. I am planning to fly through Istanbul again enroute back to the US from Asia and have booked a hamman treatment at the hotel and a private tour of the Old City so that my experience of Istanbul will be more than the Pera Palace Hotel. I must acknowledge some of the staff who took extraordinary measures...Emre, who when I said my suitcase locks were cut by US customs offered to go across the street and purchase new locks...I have only had this experience once when someone offered to leave the property to assist me and that was in Sydney at the Observatory Hotel. Irem, the front desk executive assisted me in moving rooms twice when the first one didn't have a tub and the second did have consistent internet. Rather than regarding me as difficult they went out of their way to please. Finally, I left my jacket in one of the rooms along with my passport in the pocket, and the front desk executive Seravent (not sure of spelling) found it and sent it to my room while I was having dinner and informed the maitre de at the restaurant. Good service is feeling valued and respected and that often come through when the staff are treated well and themselves respected either by guests or management and feel proud of the property that they represent. As a woman business owner, I was pleased to see the mix of men and women on the staff and noted that the general manager was also female. What is great service? When you can let your guard down and feel care for. They have gained a loyal guest in me because they earned it.

Room Tip: High floor room with balcony and view of the Golden Horn.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Susan H.,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service received and the attention to detail of our colleagues.

Your words will not only motivate our colleagues, but inspire the entire team at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah to continue providing the best service experience.

I will be sure to share you kind feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah

Pınar Kartal Timer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Staying at Pera Palace was the perfect choice for us for a visit to Istanbul.

We greatly appreciated all the comfort in the contemporary suites combined with tradition in a historic building. We stayed in a golden horn view room on the 5th floor, which was excellent. The suite was luxurious and even with more space than we had expected from the pictures. Very comfortable beds and convenient bathroom.

Take into account when you make your reservation that the 6th, 4th and 2nd floor are smoking and that there are no balconies on the 5th floor.

We enjoyed having tea one afternoon at the Pera Palace Saloon Tea Lounge, being part of the experience, and took advantage of the facilities included in the rate relaxing every day after the visits in the Turkish bath, steam bath and indoor swimming pool.

The service was first class and the location close to Galata Tower and in a very lively area, perfect for us.

All in all, we would not hesitate to stay again at Pera Palace!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. I am also happy to hear that you have throughly enjoyed your whole stay. Thank you for the very positive feedback about our rooms, as well as the Spa.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

An oasis of comfort and calm close to the city centre. Excellent service and good facilities for city hotel but food and beverage offerings do not compare with local competition. There are several excellent local restaurants! Newer Istanbul hotels may be cheaper but do not have this history, style or elegance.

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. I am also happy to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your whole stay.
I also appreciate your comments about our Food & Beverage offerings that I've shared with my team.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here in Feb and was a bit disappointed to be honest. My partner and I stayed for a long weekend, expected true 5* service, but got it maybe only 50% of the time, staff need more training. We tried to move rooms when we had a very noisy night courtesy of the nightclubs on the road outside and initially they tried to charge us, even though the hotel was obviously half empty and we were saying we'd not slept! Only when we mentioned the manager did we get a free upgrade, to coincidentally, a not so nice room! at least it was quiet! For the price we paid and 5* though, they really should consider if one whole side of the hotel has rooms affected by nightclub noise. Can't fault the pool facilities and the room was very clean and well-serviced, but I wouldnt recommend this place I'm afraid. They need to brush up if they want to call themselves 5*.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for your commments on TripAdvisor.
We have noted your comments regarding the location of your room. Rest assured that your feedback will be adressed to the concerned department heads. We certainly enjoyed looking after you and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon again.
Sincerley,
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Fantastic hotel - distinctive service, world class facilities & a great location - there is nothing more one may ask for - this is a great hotel, will definitely come back.

I forgot to mention, historic too, Agatha Christie wrote one of her novels while staying at the Jumeirah Pera Palace for 2 years, highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

if you want to experience history, stay here. lovely hotel. essential part of experience of being in istambul. pricey. food is also expensive. impeccable service. rooms are small. pool is underground and it was not properly heated. my suggestion...stay for a night or two and then move to another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue to improve our services and products for our guests.
All your comments

I appreciate you recommending Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Beautiful hotel, excellent service, delicious breakfast. Sauna and steam room were included in price, gym and swimming pool were small but OK. The only negative thing to say is that there are lots of pubs, discos, rave parties etc. in the neighbourhood. We had booked the room with lowest rate and in the night we found out why. The music was loud enough to pierce through our earplugs until 5 am. We requested to get another room in the opposite side of the hotel and managed to get that. I would go there again but would definitely stay on the more expensive side.

Room Tip: Rooms on the more expensive side ("seaview"?) are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah , and that you were pleased with the service and facilities as well as your Spa experience.

Pinar Kartal-Timer

Been to Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah? Share your experiences!