“Apartment rentals from Hotel Armada” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Armada Istanbul Old City Hotel

You added Armada Istanbul Old City Hotel to your Saves list
Armada Istanbul Old City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ahirkapi Sok. No 24 | Cankurtaran, Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Offers & Announcements
Save TL15 on select meals
Ranked #111 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
Brooklyn
“Apartment rentals from Hotel Armada”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

In November 2012 I spent 3 nights in one of the Hotel Armada's apartments which are located just a block or two away from the hotel on a charming residential street. The building is a classic Ottoman style and the apartments are spacious, beautifully decorated and have all the comforts of home. Add to this the access to their private rooftop and you have a perfect place to stay. The apartments are run out of the hotel and you have daily access to the rooftop breakfast buffet at Hotel Armada. The breakfast buffet was the most incredible thing I have ever seen or tasted. I wish I had a longer stay just so I could try more items. The views from the terrace are incredible and breakfast was a special time each day. I found the hotel staff very helpful and the hotel itself lovely and well maintained. The apartments offer a very unique experience as you feel like you are living the life of a local. I felt very tempted to make it my permanent home. The location is a short walk through a slightly desolate part of the old city to the major sights but for me that just contributed to my feeling of being a local rather than a tourist. I highly recommend this hotel, I have stayed at three other Istanbul hotels and this is one of the best in the old city.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 2nd floor apartment.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baghdad, Iraq
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I visit Istanbul frequently, and so far this hotel is the best in terms of sea view, resturant at the top, size of room, proximety to Sultanahmet tourist area and the level of service. I am considering making this hotel my first choice in the future. I was a little bit not happy with uphill walk at the begining but for a 6-7TL taxi fee I found out that I can reach the tram station and the transportation system...problem solved.

Dr. Mohammed A. Abdul Majid

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I couldn't believe this place. It was so plain and camouflaged on the outside. 3/4 of the surrounding area of this building is either dilapidated or close to it. For me and my husband, that really just added to the charm.

The lobby is quaint and wonderfully so and the elevator is, for lack of a better word, adorable. It says it has capacity for 4. That's a stretch but since the elevator is renovated (or it's new - hard to tell) it's quite cute.

The rooms are fascinating. It's sort of vintage world charm meets Ikea update. (Don't be discouraged if you don't like Ikea.) We ended up staying in two different rooms because the first room was very close to a loud party. They happily moved us to a much quieter room with a slightly better view.

When I go into a hotel room the first things I check are the TV, bed and bathroom. The TV was adorable - small but new and wall mounted. The bed was just like any other good quality hotel bed.- it wasn't mine but I fell asleep without a problem every night. The bathroom was brilliant. They have all new bathrooms. Wall size mirror surrounded by white lights, big, modern sink, and a dark, marble counter top. Most importantly, the shower heads (very good of them to put in two) had great water pressure. I'm not one for the waterfall style shower head and that was the bigger main one but it worked for my purposes AND they have the other head right next to it so I was fine with it.

Obviously, the best bit of this hotel is their free (included in room I suspect) breakfast buffet. It's enormous and FANTASTIC. I cannot emphasize this enough. They serve the biggest breakfast I have seen outside of the US. Obviously, everything was as close to ethnic as I could see. It was a wonderful way to try some local cuisine. It did crack me up to see the other visiting Americans eating cereal. They also complained about it. Tasteless and classless. But they were still treated nicely.

Anyway, this buffet is in the upstairs terrace. It's basically all windows, not including the floor. On the one side is a view of Asia. That's lovely if you are into water and distant hills and things. The other side is my favorite bit. It's a hill leading to the Blue Mosque and AyaSophia... and everything leading up to those two. I found it amazing. Crumbling houses squished together, satellite dishes dotting every last one of them.

The sea gulls live on the roof of the hotel and it just makes for an intriguing experience. They weren't a bother.

Neither were the finches. The hotel has a few dozen from the looks of things. They are all in these nifty wooden cages throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms opposite the terrace are quieter and have a completely different view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. We stayed 4 nights recently in Feb 2013, and I have to say it exceeded expectations. For £50 a night we had a lovely clean room, excellent breakfast, great location near all the sites, and amazing service. Thoroughly recommend this hotel and will be going back if I visit beautiful Istanbul again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nyborg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My first time in Istanbul, so I wanted to find a nice hotel, wher I could walk to most of the things I wanted to see. I booked online and also got there car to pick me up at the airport.
Arrived 08.30-09.00 at the hotel and I could have my room in 5 min.!! Very nice.
I had booked a "Superior room" - just for the view. The photos are real, what you see is what you get. Aldo I would have liked a bit more "sea-view", but there was 2 big houses on the other side, but yes, I could see the sea!
Fast internet, worked fine. Reception was very helpfull, to anything from where can I buy a new battery to my camera, booking a "tourist" tour next day, check-in/out.

The morning buffe on the 3. floor, very nice! I was kind of expecting the same "continental breakfast" you get everywhere else, but it had a good touch of "Istanbul" - well, at least in my mind,
The place also serves as resturant in the evening, very lovely view - but book the table in advance, if you want a window seat w/view. Good food, maybe overpriced as all other hotels, but I enjoyed the food and service was good.

If I have to point out a "negative" thing, it would be that i left the room at 08.00, came back at 12.30 to 13.00, back again 16.20.... and had to wait 10-15 min. before the room was ready. The maid was more or less hanging out of my window to clean the outside - so I could have a clear view!!! But, that is the only "negative" thing I have to say.

All in all - a very lovely hotel. Nice, small, good/friendly/helpfull staff, close to the water and a 5-8 min walk from the Blue Mosque, Haggia Sophia and Topkapi Palace.

Room Tip: I booked a Superior room with view, but should have chosen a normal room. Not much sea view, only in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
AURORA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a very good hotel for visiting Istanbul. It is very situated in the old city and is very close to the historical buildings including a lot of mosques, palaces, museums etc. and it is only 5 minutes to the public train station. Though the hotel is an old Turkish style building, it is very clean. All bedding and linens are very clean. The staff were very polite and helpful. Early check-in was allowable. I arrived very early at about 8:00a.m. and they allowed me to take the Turkey styled breakfast free in their pavilion, where one can see the beautiful harbour Golden Horn. After check-out, I left my baggages behind. When I returned to claim my baggages, the bell boy loaded them into the trunk of the taxi for me and waving his hands to say farewell to me with smile.

Room Tip: No particular tip. Sea view is better but costs more. No pets is allowed though.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Joseph, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's vacation to Istanbul Turkey. We felt very fortunate to have chosen The Armada Hotel in the Sultanahmet sector of the city near the Blue Mosque, Haggia Sophia and the Topkapi Palace. We knew we wanted the services of a concierge to navigate different situations. We were easily within a 5-7 minute walk uphill to the Mosques and had convenient shopping along the way. The Armada is an older hotel that has retained its Ottoman decor including fascinating antiquities, along with modern upgrades. Our first night at check-in we realized we didn't have a bathtub. The staff was very accommodating about arranging for a different room for the remainder of our stay. The front desk staff are exceptional--friendly, always very helpful and at least one of the two or three on duty has excellent English skills. They were able to assist us when my husband had to be hospitalized briefly at the American Hospital. They were very reassuring about the quality of the hospital and our access by taxi.

The food in the Terrace Sera restaurant on top of the hotel was always excellent---fresh vegetables, fruits meat and vegetarian dishes and Turkish pastries and desserts. The morning buffet was better than any we have encountered through the Marriott or Hilton hotel chains in different cities. There was a lot to sample, and even glass containers of spices to try on the various dishes. The wait staff were professional and always accommodating.

I would recommend The Armada as an excellent choice among mid-priced hotels in Istanbul.
And besides, where else can you enjoy songbirds, open air eating and a family of turtles in
the lobby. What a thrill!

Room Tip: If you prefer a more modern decor, ask ahead. Many of the rooms have been remodeled with hardwood f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Armada Istanbul Old City Hotel? Share your experiences!