“Safe and secure international hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel

You added Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yesilyurt Mah. Sahil Yolu Cad. No:2 Yesilkoy, Bakirkoy, Istanbul 34149, Turkey (Ataturk Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #338 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Safe and secure international hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you are looking for a safe and secure place to stay in Istanbul, near the airport, with full American style space, comfort, and service, this is your place. The Renaissance Polat is everything you expect from a high end Marriott property. It was a bit of a shock when my taxi was stopped and searched before being allowed in, and then having to pass through airport like x-ray and metal detectors. For many though, this level of security is a comfort. I had no complaints, and certainly nor worries.

The staff is phenomenal, willing to help in any way they can. The concierge on Club Level was willing make dinner reservations (as my Turkish is non-existence) and map out directions to the local train station. The full Turkish breakfast included on Club Level was amazing, with a selection of pastries, fruits and vegetables, cheeses, and more.

The Turkish bath in the spa, as well as the pool and Jacuzzi, make for a wonderful way to unwind at the end of a long day of sight seeing (or meetings).

The only reason I gave this hotel a four instead of a five is the distance from the city center. It is about a half hour by train or taxi, which though not terrible, is not as convenient as walking out the door and being in the city center.

Room Tip: Club level if you can...breakfast, snacks, and great concierge services.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Renaissance_Polat, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous comments, we are delighted that we met your requirements and you enjoyed your stay with us in Istanbul.

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel soon.

Thanks Again,

gogun.sever@polatholding.com - Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Spent a long weekend at the Polat whilst on business travel to Turkey. This is a very good international 5-star hotel with everything you'd expect of same. The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped (a couple more English channels on the TV would be nice though). The main bar is a nice place to be with a good bar menu. I ate at the fish restaurant which was good and the Champions Sports Bar which noisy but fun with good staff. The Polat also has an extremely good gym that puts most hotel gyms to shame and spa facilities that I didn't have time to use.

Minor quirks are that some of the staff can be a little flat-footed at times, but once you have their attention they are all very good...and it's a bit of a haul from the old city...but the train is a short walk and the hotel operates a daily shuttle. They also operate and hourly shuttle to the airport (doesn't work for early morning flights though). Overall I'd rate it very highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance_Polat, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your comments with us. I am really happy you have enjoyed your stay at Renaissance Polat İstanbul Hotel.

We hope to welcome you back in our Hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

In general quite a good stay as i had a corporate deal for 80 euro per night.

Staff was very nice! The design is kind of nostalgic and a bit old fashioned, but ok. The rooms are very mcht outdated! Pink tiles on the floor in the bathroom and a shower in instabile pressure is not ery comfortable. Also the beds are short.
Airco wasn't working and windows cannot be opened, resultif in not a very good noght of sleep.

The spa is very nice with a good gym, sauna and steambath.

Would stay here again for this price but would ask for a room where the airco is working

• Stayed March 2013
Renaissance_Polat, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the feedback you provided will help us assess our services that meets your expectations. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have had with the Air Condition.

We appreciate your business and looking forward to seeing you back with us again soon.

Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does have plus points...
It's close to Ataturk airport, the gym facilities, pool etc are very good but like a few others it's the smoke smelling rooms which is my real bugbear.
Everything else is 'fine', nothing special, just average. Certainly not the jewel in the Renaissance crown.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted that we met your requirements and you enjoyed your stay with us in Istanbul.

Regards,

Erfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

With a flight schedule meaning a very late arrival in Istanbul after an inter-continental flight, and an early flight out of Istanbul scheduled for the next day, I selected this higher-end hotel as a convenient, reliable and comfortable way of getting a few hours sleep. This presumption turned out to be a big mistake.

After arriving at the hotel, I was made to wait more than 15 minutes for the staff on duty to finish what sounded like a personal call. I was then informed that my room had been given away to another customer and that they had tried to reach me on my mobile phone (there was no voicemail message left or missed calls). I was then informed that they had made arrangements for me at another very nice hotel with an upgraded room. I was taken by taxi to a different hotel about 10 minutes away which was nowhere near the supposed "standard" of the Renaissance. I was given a very basic room that had an unbearable smell of smoke, despite the room being designated as non-smoking. I then was moved to a different room where the room key did not work so I had to go back down to the lobby. At around 3.30 am, I finally made it to bed and had 2 hours sleep instead of the 4 or 5 I would have had if the Renaissance had not demonstrated its total lack of regard for its customers.

Since the stay, I contacted Marriott Customer Service. I received a very half-hearted response from the hotel manager, offering me an upgrade when I next stayed at the hotel. I expressed my dissatisfaction at this response to Marriott, and why I had no intention of paying for such a hotel after the inconvenience previously caused, and received a second half-hearted apology.

When previously thinking of Renaissance hotels, I envisaged them as being in the premium range of the Marriott collection and as a Gold Member of Marriott Rewards I had expected a certain level of customer service and satisfaction. My stay at this hotel changed this opinion completely.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here for business, and have done a few times now. The lobby has improved over the years and it is welcoming in terms of the decor. The receptionists were friendly and helpful, there was no problems and was dealt with quickly.

The room was clean and tidy, the problem was the smell of cigarette smoke - even though it was a non smoking room. The hotel did try to help with trying to clear the smell. There was people in the rooms on my floor, near my room that was smoking even though they were in non smoking room.

There is a great fish restaurant close by, called Fener - definitely try and go it you can!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Renaissance_Polat, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the feedback you provided will help us assess our services whether we were meeting your expectations or not.

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcome you back.

Best Regards,

Fethiye, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was a short run to the hotel from Ataturk airport. Security was heavy on the entrance road. Staff were on hand to take my wife in her wheelchair and all our luggage into the hotel. We were escorted to our room after the reception proceedures, the luggage followed us swifly to our room. The room was well appointed, clean and from the 15th floor there was a tremendous view of the Marmara sea, in darkness unfortunately. We slept well in a comfy bed.

We used the A La Carte restaurant, prices weren't cheap, but the food was good. We drank a glass of wine each as bottles of wine were rather expensive. Breakfast next morning was everything you could wish for. The waiters were very attentive.

We used the complimentary mini bus to return to Ataturk airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

gogun.sever@polatholding.com - Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel

Been to Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel? Share your experiences!