“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet

You added Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Teyfikhane Sok No 1 Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34110, Turkey   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Special
Ranked #2 of 943 Hotels in Istanbul
Porto
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Four seasons sultanahmet between 14 to 17 november (deluxe room), and loved every moment!
The location is the best if you want to know the old Istanbul. You can walk to the blue mosque, hagia sophia, topkapi palace and the byzantine cistern within a few steps.
There are plenty of restaurants just close to the hotel where you can get dinner, if you go down the street of the hotel.
Wonderful service. Very comfortable bed (king size), spacious room, very good bathroom.
We also visit the grand bazar, the spice bazar and the Galata Tower (this one you can't miss, at the top you will get the 360º view of Istanbul)
So, if you like to walk and have a wonderful time at Istanbul don´t hesitate and book this hotel

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

As others have stated, the Four Seasons Istanbul is a wonderfully stylish and refined hotel. As expected from Four Seasons, the hotel exudes low key style and was a great based from which to explore the wonderful city of Istanbul. Our room (Four Seasons Room) was reasonably large and included all the mod cons you would expect (although the bed was not the most comfortable I've slept on - Westin Hotels win that hands down...)

Of course the Four Seasons is a tourist hotel insofar as it is based in Sultanahmet, close to the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace etc, etc. The area does not really reflect the "real" Istanbul and on balance if/when we return to Istanbul we'll probably stay at the new Bosphorus Four Seasons as a) it is right on the river and b) it is closer to the trendier areas of Istanbul.

Nevertheless a great base for a long weekend.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

My husband and I have enjoyed plenty of Four Seasons hotels around the world so when I was in Istanbul for a business trip in early November I made the effort to take my friend to FS Sultanahmet for lunch. We didn't have time to eat anything at all the whole day. We had only Turkish tea and bottled water so we were very hungry by the time we ordered our food which was around at 4 pm. I couldn't finish my pide which was very salty, tasted her caeser salad but didn't like the cream sauce so I left the meal half hungry. My friend's hunger got better of her so she finished all her pizza and salad. After the meal we went back to our meetings.
A couple of hours later my friend complained that the food was too heavy and she could not digest it. Around 8.30-9 pm she started feeling not well. We hurried back to the hotel. By 10 pm she was seriously sick in the toilet throwing up and having diarrhea. Because I had experienced food poisoning before, I knew that she needed to remain hydrated and wait until the poison left her system. Going to a hospital while she could not really leave the toilet didn't feel logical. Her situation improved by the next morning and she managed to retain some water. The fact that we both did not eat anything at all that day, and 4 hours after consuming the salad creme she got sick confirmed my suspicions that she had typical dairy food poisoning. We ended up missing our early flight to Izmir and delayed our meetings.
The next day we called the hotel to complain. All the staff including the hotel manager was very unhelpful. At first he claimed that it might be our own personal hygene. The hotel's doctor wanted us to go to a hospital and get some tests done which we did not have the time or the energy to do at all. The kitchen manager who was very arrogant insisted that since their kitchen is checked and certified it cannot be their fault. I felt like we were being told off by every one we spoke to. We managed to get a half hearted apology and reimburstmant of the meal; however they refused to compensate us for our plane tickets that we had to buy for the 2nd time because of this unpleasant incident. The kitchen manager gave me her email adress to follow up and seemed happy to have ended the conversation when we could no longer talk to her because we needed to make our way to the airport.
We could not follow up this incident after coming back to our countries. My friend had to deal with her sick parents and I got busy with my own life. However I am very surprised and disappointed about feeling so let down by such a reputable hotel chain.
This incident stained otherwise a very pleasant trip for us. Worst of all I felt really ashamed and responsible for this experience my friend had to go through on her very first trip to Turkey. Being Turkish myself I wanted to show her our traditional hospitality at its best but it was a wrong choice. I would never step a foot in any of the FS's in Turkey ever again.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

We had wanted to visit Istanbul for a while and finally decided to go. We had heard excellent things about the four seasons properties from friends so we decided to break our short trip into 2 days at Sultanahmet and 2 at the Bhosporous property. After we got to the Sultanahmet property we decided to spend all the time at this property. The hotel was kind enough to cancel the resevation at the Bhosporous property and extend our stay.
The hotel is situated in a perfect location to explore the old city. The Blue mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Cisterns are all within 5 mins walk, if that. The hotel is a haven of peace and tranquility from the hussel and bustle of the world outside its doors. The constant grind of carpet sellers and any other object they can sell you. Within the walls of the hotel you are cosetted. The staff are attentive but not overly attentive. Its is not a large property so it retains a boutique atmosphere. The concierges are excellent in their knowledge of the city.
We took our son who is 7 and thought it may be an issue as the hotel doesn't have a kids club but the staff made every effort to keep him happy when we were in the hotel which wasn't often. Our only niggle with the hotel was that it has essentially one restaurant in the courtyard where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were never at the hotel for lunch so can't comment. The food for dinner is european food which is OK but coming to Turkey i expected something Turkish. The food is OK but not exceptional. The breakfast is buffet and ala carte. The buffet is not as extensive as many of the other four seasons i have been to. The best part is having tea in the coutyard in the evening, weather permitting with some delicious Baclava. These are minor criticisms.
The rooms are typically four seaons excellence. Should you require internet access you will have to pay in your room. I cannot understand why four seasons does this as most people will seldom ever use it so why not make it complimentary. The hotel brings all sorts og goodies to your room complimentary each day from Baclava to chocolates.

All in all a great hotel in a superb location to explore an interesting city.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Fantastic service and property in the primo spot in Istanbul at very high prices -- but, worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Not much to say. The hotel is a standard Four Seasons, great service, great rooms.

The one standout is the location. It really is in a phenomenal location in Istanbul. You are a 2 minute walk from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, etc. Just such a great base. Unfortunately not many non-touristy dining options around, but a 15 lira cab ride will get you to plenty of cool places in Beyoglu.

If you can afford it, it's fantastic.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is absolutely great for this location and design. The service is very good too. We have a very nice suite but unfortunatly the prices for the suites are two or three times what they were some years ago and are exagerated in comparaison what you get.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet? Share your experiences!