“A jewl in Istanbul” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet

You added Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Teyfikhane Sok No 1 Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34110, Turkey   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Special
Ranked #2 of 943 Hotels in Istanbul
Maple, Canada
“A jewl in Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

I stayed here for 5 days and since I had a very positive experience I thought I share it with the rest of the TA community:

Arrival:

I arranged to be picked up by the hotel’s BMW 7 Series and while it will cost you probably 4-5 times more than a taxi ride, I feel like it is definitely worth it specially after a 17 hour plane ride in my case. I was greeted by the hotel’s uniformed greeter and he quickly filled me in on some quick facts regarding Istanbul while at the same time asking for the car to be brought up. The ride was about 30 minutes to the airport and although driving in Istanbul is rather more “thrilling” than your average US city it’s definitely up to par with places like Rome and most of Eastern Europe so it was nothing new to me specially since I have actually driven in Rome for a few days. I was greeted at the hotel entrance by a multitude of people who all called me by my last name, just like they’ve known me for years.

Check -in, Check-out:

Probably one of the quickest I ever experienced. All the paperwork was done in the car during the trip from the airport (another advantage of the hotel transfer) so by the time I was met by the check-in supervisor at the lobby there was little to do except heading to my room while he explained to me a few pointers regarding the hotel and locations of different amenities. I had booked a Four Seasons Executive Suite but they had upgraded me to a One Bedroom Suite which is a bit more roomy and they also really wanted to try and get me in to the Presidential Suite for half the rack rate or about USD 1500/night which I declined cause simply the One Bedroom was overly big enough for me. Check-out took a bit longer cause they were having issues with their system, although the reception staff probably appologized 4 times in 5 minutes despite the fact I assured them it was just fine and I completely understood problems do happen.

Location:

This place is right in the heart of the old city. Basically expect a lot of commotion during the day with a lot of taxis and tour buses going through the nearby streets, however don’t be afraid of the noise! This hotel is surprisingly quiet and except for the prayer calls from the nearby mosques you can hardly ever hear anything. Special note regarding prayer calls, yes they are LOUD during the day but fortunately our Turkish hosts turn down the volume during the morning call which is around 5:30 AM or so. I never really woke up by the sound in the morning and I could hardly imagine anyone would and if you do, just chalk it up as a part of the whole Turkish experience! Again watch out for cars and buses as you will have to share the streets with them as sidewalks are uneven and narrow not to mention they just simply end at some points in the middle of the road!

Food & Drinks:

Bottled water is provided everyday (at least in my suite, not sure of the regular rooms). The food at the restaurant was good but not really exceptional. Service at the restaurant was very nice and quick although it seemed like they are “acting” at some points and weren’t really fluid but still I say it was good. You could actually forget where you were for a second of two, so I give it zero points on originality which again is expected and not a negative but just to inform you.
Room Service food was OK, again nothing superbly tasteful but very well presented nontheless.
My biggest issue was with the lounge! It’s decorated really rather untaistful and to top it I had a martini served to me in a whisky glass cause they didn’t have any martini glasses! No garnish no nothing! I say this was probably the worst martini I ever had so avoid the over priced bar/lounge and head to so many better ones in the town.

Cleanliness:

This hotel is very well maintained. My suite was spotless! The housekeeping staff meticulously cleaned my messy suite everyday never missing anything. I’m a germ freak and I can tell you this was by far the cleanest Four Seasons I’ve ever stayed in! I actually left a very small tip everyday for the housekeeping staff for such a superb job they did everyday. Hotel’s common areas also follow on the same footsteps. There is always one or two people cleaning something somewhere, always moving immediately out of the way before you’ve even approached them in the hallway, then continuing when you move past.

Service:

Last but not least is of course service. The Turks are generally a very friendly and happy nation and the staff in Four Seasons Sultanahmet are not any different, if not more exceptional! I received probably the most friendly and professional service I have ever received so far at any property be it Four Seasons or not. These guys are really over the top even for a Four Seasons! Aside from pretty much everyone calling you by name, it’s just the general attitude of the staff that makes the difference. Somehow everyone here seems to be genuinely happy to be here and to be of any assistance to you! They make you feel as if they are your family. The concierge team handled every interaction with utmost friendliness and professionalism. I booked two restaurants through them and both turned out to be superb choices. Four Seasons name carries a weight in Istanbul, the two extremely busy restaurants I visited both gave me their best tables despite me booking just few hours earlier and despite being almost a full house! Concierge also gave me good directions to a few shops I needed to check out as well as handled a few itiniary changes again with professionalism and efficiency. Doormen are also particularly friendly here always watching out for you making sure you know where the directions and offering you umbrellas before you even realize it’s raining!

Verdict:

This hotel delivers top value for the $. I see a lot of complaints about how expensive this hotel is, but I remind you all some things you can never buy. This hotel provides beyond what you can simply buy. Stay here and experience it for yourself but be sure to come back and rate this great hotel and it’s superb staff.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Bar/Lounge
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mesquite, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

My daughter and I loved this hotel. Everything was suberb. Room was exactly as I expected, bathroom spectacular, and extras like dvd player and a list of dvd, list of cds, and cd player. We picked the bed and breakfast option. Usually this means continental breakfast is included. Not here, you could order anything you wished. Ice bucket and water were refilled throughout the day. Nice fruitplates. Beds were super comfy. Location was steps away from all the major attractions. Staff very friendly. Easy to see why this hotel is named #1 in Europe, #4 in the world.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

Fine establishment, with a well-trained staff, located within walking distance of the main attractions. Remarkable that this was once a prison.

• Stayed October 2007
La Jolla, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Absolutely superb in every way. Service was warm, welcoming, professional, the location could not be better, within a short stroll to Ayaosfia, Blue Mosque and cisterns, and generous sized rooms with every amenity. Walk to Bazaars, too, and shop at SOFA!

• Liked — Friendly service, very professional
  • Disliked — PIRCE!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

My wife and I went on a romantic weekend to this hotel and had a the best of stays there. We received a compimentary updgrade to a suite and that was huge. The location is perfect if you really want to see all the cultural and historic highlights of Istanbul. The concierge was very helpful when making hotel reservations and they always managed to get us in the most popular restaurants. Great hotel. Highly recommended for a trip to Istanbul!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — It is not cheap
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Homestead, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I must tell you about the most Magnificent trip I have ever taken.
My husband and best friends decided to take a get-a-way from the everyday hustle and bustle of our everyday life. We ventured off to Istanbul, Turkey. Our trip started off with a few monkey wrenches as they say as the flight left without us and of course, lost luggage. Once we arrived at the hotel, everything was PERFECT!! From the doorman to the front desk employees, we were greeted like they had known us for many years with a warm, "Welcome Home." The font desk employees asked us about our trip and we advised them of the lost luggage situation. One of them then asked if we had received some information regarding that. I gave him the paperwork and he made a copy. He advised us that they were going to take care of the situation. (the next morning, we were told that the suitcase had been located and we would have it by the afternoon ) They then asked what size of clothes both of us wear and they came out with 2- beatiful bags filled with all the toiletries imaginable to carry us through the night. It even included underclothes that were very confortable and socks to keep our feet warm. That was definetly what I believe to be "over and above" They make you feel like you are the only guests in their hotel. They would greet us by our names and were always showing that personal attention. There was also another incident that I must tell you. One night we went to a restaurant across the street and there was a little shop nearby and the gentleman in the store had a coin collection from coins all over the world. I looked through and noticed he did not have a lot of the new American coins. (the ones with the states) We finished there, went back to the room and I decided to take him some coins I had. Everyone from my party was tired so I decided to go by myself. It was late and when I walked out, the doorman noticed I was alone. He followed me to the store, waited and escorted me back to the hotel. He went that "extra mile"

If you want luxury and personal attention and are going to Istanbul, the Four Seasons is definitetly the place to stay.

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

When we checked in for our one-night stay, we were torn between leaving our beautiful room and visiting the city we came to see. Although we spent more than ever before on a hotel room, we still felt value for our money. Service was impeccable--there was nothing the staff wouldn't go out of their way to help with. Location is great. Would be first choice for a re-visit to Istanbul.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet? Share your experiences!