“Nice stay but not conveniently located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus

Save Saved
You added Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus to your Saves list
Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cumhuriyet Cad. Harbiye, Sisli, Istanbul 34367, Turkey (Formerly Hilton Istanbul) (Harbiye)   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale From TRY 286
Ranked #148 of 901 hotels in Istanbul
New York, NY
“Nice stay but not conveniently located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here for three nights with my Hilton points. As a Diamond member, my husband and I got upgraded to the Executive floor and had a room with a balcony facing the Bosphorous. We were here in November and enjoyed sitting out on the balcony. It was gorgeous and the weather was sunny and cool. We also had access to the lounge on the 9th floor. The complimentary buffet breakfast was average. It was a generous spread but it did not suit my taste. Nonetheless, it was free and it the food was pretty good. There are light snacks in the afternoon and in the evening, there are hot and cold appetizers that my husband treated as dinner since we spent the day walking and eating at odd times. The lounge is open until 11pm, I believe and drinks and snacks are available for self service. This was a great perk for us as we never had to buy water or drinks.

The hotel is a large convention center so we did not get the attention that the W Istanbul gave us (click on my profile to see my other reviews of places we went to in Turkey). Concierge did not seem very competent and gave me information that I found out later was incorrect (see my review on the Hagia Sofia or Topkapi Palace for more on this). Service was friendly but only when we asked for help.

My deduction in the overal rating of this property comes from the location. The closest train station is at Taksim Square, which is a timed 15-20 walk to the hotel (depending on where you start on the sqare). The hotel staff told us it was a 6-10 minute walk. Once you get near the hotel, you think you've arrived but then you walk for another five minutes on hotel property before actually entering the lobby. On two consecutive days, after walking and exploring for several hours, we opted to hop in a taxi instead. On the first day, we were turned down by three taxis and ended up taking the train. We were kicked out of the third taxi but did not know why as we were lost in translation. On the second day, the taxi was willing to take us but as we got close to the hotel, he asked if it was ok if he dropped us off across the street and we walk the 5 minutes to the lobby. He explained that Taksim Square is closed and getting out of the hotel area would get him into a lot of traffic. So, if you plan on taking a taxi, don't be surprised if taxis drive away once you tell them where you are going. Hopefully, this will not be the case once the construction is over.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I offer our sincere apologies if we were not able to make you feel valued and comfortable due to high volume of congress participants and the service given by our Concierge which does not reflect our usual high service standards. Your valuable comments have been shared with respective department heads in order to prevent similar issues from reoccurring.

I regret to learn the inconveniences caused by taxi drivers. I would like to kindly advise to take taxis from our hotel to be on the safe side during your next visit.

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here on business for three nights. Hotel has a very "large" feel to it. There is a good choice of places to eat - I took the buffet a couple of times in the Terrace restaurant on the ground floor - food was excellent, service was not bad, but could have been a little more friendly and attentive. There was a very large conference going on while I was there and I think many of the staff were a bit stressed by the number of people around - things got much better when the conference ended and the hotel emptied somewhat.
I had an executive room with a "river view". This was nice, but there was a lot of noise late into the evening (from Taksim Square guess) and the noise penetrated the windows easily. even 8 floors up. My main gripe with the room was that the air conditioning was useless. I could not get the temperature below 24C, even though it was cooler that that outside (it was November). I did ask the hotel to do something but the situation didn't improve. My guess is that they turn off the chillers to save money. Opening the windows wasn't great at night because of the noise outside.
Executive lounge was very nice, but somewhat spoilt by all the kids running around in there. (I'm not anti-children and I have some of my own, but prefer an executive lounge that is a quiet haven).
In summary pretty nice though - would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in general. We appreciate your kind comments which give us a chance to understand your dissatisfactions. Please rest assured that your comments regarding the kids at the Executive Lounge and the service quality at the restaurant during peak hours have been taken into consideration seriously and we will definitely try to do our best to make our valued guests feel more comfortable. I would like to inform you that room temperature is set in accordance with weather conditions and it can be adjusted +/- 3 degrees in the rooms and I am very sorry if this was not communicated to you properly.
I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience regarding the noise coming from outside. I would also like to inform you that we are working closely with the local authorities trying to limit the outside noise from surrounded clubs and stop the music before midnight

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel for 6 nights on a business trip Check-in and Check-out was pleasant, service was excellent choice of restaurants within the hotel grounds was good they have a number of different restaurants. They offer a good SPA with excellent massage as well fitness room. The only problem was the service on the club floor it was not really up to the standard although the views from the club floor were great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Many thanks for your kind feedback.

It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in general. We appreciate your valuable comments regarding the service at the Executive Lounge. Please rest assured that your feedback has been shared with respected department head in order to improve the service and ensure the comfort of our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Surrey U.K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in the summer. I'd booked reward nights with Hhonors points so was expecting room only.

I'd booked one of the Hilton vehicles to collect us from the airport as we didn't want any hassle. So pleased that we did, although more expensive than a conventional taxi, (& we had problems time after time with cabs that tried all the cons in the book) it was a pleasurable drive in air-conditioned comfort with courtesy bottles of water. A great start to our stay.

The bell hop took our bags from us & we went to check in at reception. The very polite receptionist informed us that we'd been upgraded to executive level & to follow him to the executive floor lift. He pressed the button to summon the lift, we entered, he pressed the button for the 9th floor, wished us a pleasant stay & sent us on our way.

The doors opened at the 9th floor, executive level & we went to check in, still not believing that this was true. The receptionist greeted us, formalities were quickly completed, she wished us a pleasant stay & gave us our key to a room overlooking the front of the hotel on the 6th floor. It was a lovely room, virtually above reception, so middle of the building. We stepped out onto the balcony to drink in the sights of Istanbul as the view was great & to our right was the ampitheatre. We didn't have any disturbance from road noise but we did sit on the balcony late one evening to enjoy a tremendous lightening show during a thunderstorm. Amazing.

Being on one of the executive floors we were able to access the executive lounge which was great for fantastic views & more than adequate breakfasts, high teas, drinks, complimentary access to the business centre etc. We really enjoyed relaxing over each meal & drinks each evening with fantastic views. The staff were always very polite & accommodating, especially the female staff, thank you.There was always room for everyone even though it was quite busy at times.

Our beds were very comfortable & the bathroom was equipped with various toiletries which were very useful as were the bathrobes & slippers.

We enjoyed sitting by the pool reading & enjoying the sunshine. There was always a staff member on hand to bring drinks etc when required.

We enjoyed sightseeing & enjoyed knowing we were returning to a really comfortable hotel each evening where we felt safe. Some evenings we enjoyed drinks on the balcony & taking in the air, the sights & sounds of Istanbul all around us.

This hotel isn't contemporary but that didn't matter to us, we enjoyed every moment, doubly so as we were fortunate to be upgraded & we appreciated it all.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent Hilton Istanbul experience on Tripadvisor.

I am very delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 12 nights in connection with a series of meetings held at the hotel. The hotel is fine, but needs an update to compete with its peers (I was not even provided slippers in my room) and I can't imagine staying here if given the choice. There is nothing stand out about the Hilton. Be sure to request a non-smoking room, although there are clearly smokers even on non-smoking floors (as I discovered). Restaurants are terribly overpriced.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your valubale comments. I would like to inform you that we continuously carry out improvement plans and maintenance works to ensure the comfort of our guests, and some room amenities such as slippers are available upon request

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Easy check-in process, polite staff and manager came over to offer his services. executive room on 6th floor with view of the Bosphorus, well equipped executive lounge on the 9th floor with view of the river, breakfast, lunch, high tea and dinner served round the clock. closes at 11pm, full bar with choice of wines, beer, juices, warmed nuts and coffee/tea. wifi available and also desktop computers. chill out zone lit with giant candles in a corner. there is also a desk constantly staffed to deal with check out, travel information etc. friendly staff that took pains to check the food as we don't eat beef. Room was well laid out, with plenty of space and a king sized bed, had the best night's sleep. complimentary bottled water and tea making facilities. fantastic peter roth toiletries, fluffy bathrobes and slippers as you would expect. health centre was well equipped but rather small and too far a walk from the rooms. took us 10 mins to get down there. impressively they have sauna, steam room, turkish bath and jacuzzi. indoor and outdoor pool, they run mat classes at scheduled times, and has a tennis court too. definitely a hotel that you will struggle to leave! took around 40 minutes taxi drive from the attaturk airport. location wasn't super great for walking, but we managed fine, about 20 mins walk to Taksim square where you can pick up metro, furnicular and buses to everywhere in Istanbul. 5 min walk to the military museum

Room Tip: ask for a view of the bosphorus, avoid the basement rooms in level Z
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Many thanks for your kind and detailed feedback.

It is a great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at Hilton Istanbul.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Visited Istanbul with my wife, stayed at Hilton as a Silver Member, great room with the Bosforus view. Had excellent Ramadan dinner at restaurant and also excellent dinners at outside Lebanese restaurant. Enjoyed the pool, and received nice amenities in the room.
Hotel arrranged nice tour for us to know the city.
All was great, until checkout. It took too long to check out, they had a strange system to charge the credit card in two payments, and bill had one extra night, but the attendant fixed the issue. To my surprise had an additional charge to my credit card, very expensive. I inquired the hotel and they silently charged mini-bar without notification. I am world traveller for biz and pleasure and never ever saw this in my life. The worst part is that I had ZERO mini bar consumption on this trip. Definitely requested my money back, and well after several months and emails promising the credit back, they still have not credit back the charge on my credit card. Nice hotel but never again!!

Room Tip: Get a river view, very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments.

We appreciate your kind feedback. I am very sorry to learn of the inconveniences that you have experienced during your check-out process and afterwards; and I offer our sincere apologies for this unfortunate error.

I would like to inform you that we have just found your profile information and the amendment will be done immediately. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any assistance.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon offering you our improved service, quality and Turkish hospitality.

Hilton Istanbul

Been to Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus? Share your experiences!