“Salih is an excellent guide in Istanbul” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 543 Activities in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: See the local places and local faces of Turkey with My Local Guide Istanbul. Istanbul is a melting pot of European and Asian influences, a mix of the traditional and modern worlds and the best way to explore the city is with My Local Guide Istanbul. Immerse yourself in the heart and soul of the only city in the world that crosses two continents. Walk in the mazes of local streets, visit hidden historic destinations, drink tea with the locals and taste the rich and flavoursome cuisine of the region. My Local Guide Istanbul, with five years experience in leading tours for english-speaking International travellers, offers tours designed and delivered by local people with a passion for Turkey and travel. We specialise in tours for the independent traveller who likes to walk side by side with the locals and explore places that are not easy to discover on your own.
Hermanus, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
“Salih is an excellent guide in Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We did the half day " Istanbul Heritage" with Salih in November and enjoyed it tremendously. He walked us to Balat and Fener districts where we played "Okey" with the locals in a Tea house. Great to see where and how the locals live. Visited a bakery, ate some Simit . Used the local transport ( bus, tram, ferry and cable car ) Salih was gracious, informative and full of suggestions on what to see and do and where to eat.
So much better to see the "suburbs" of Istanbul with a local and Salih did the trick.

Visited December 2012

Budapest, Hungary
“Half Day, but full pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife had only half Day free in Istanbul. We decided to call Salih and to join the tour.
It was a good decision...Salih is a very nice person..an excellent guide, an intelligent man and very polite too.
Within half day there is no chance to see more of the treasures of Istanbul. We specially enjoyed the cafe when we tried the water pipes and the refurbished mosque. Don't be afraid of the local lunch. At the first moment the place seems to be "too local" but the food is delicious. The time is running fast with Salih and we do recommend to chose him as your guide in Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
“Joined tripadvisor to give Salih a shoutout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Salih is by far one of the most informative and interesting tour guides that I've ever met. I want to thank him for delivering such a personalised and satisfying service to me and my wife in last September. We will definitely be recommending him to all our friends planing to visit Istanbul and I already have a few that are coming to turkey in the next year. Great work Salih. Keep up the local taste my friend.

Visited September 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
“A new city, a new friend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I visited Istanbul in October 2012 with three friends. We wanted to visit all of the "must-see" attractions without the stress of figuring out directions and getting our information from audio headsets, and we wanted to get a bit off the beaten path from other tourists. We found Salih here on TripAdvisor, and from the very first email we exchanged, Salih lived up to every expectation and review. We arranged a private full-day tour for our first day in Istanbul, that included the Secrets of Istanbul activities, as well as a few other attractions. At all of the historic attractions (Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Cisterns, etc.), Salih took us to the perfect locations for observation and pictures, and gave a very balanced "talk" about the significance of everything we saw. After we checked all of these must-sees off our list, we got to the best part - the "experience" of Istanbul... the book bazaar, some side shopping streets, the nargile bar (hookah lounge), tea in the spice market, pomegranate orange juice, and lunch at a small place with anchovy sandwiches (and none of us "liked" anchovies before this!). We wouldn't have ventured to any of these places on our own, and this was definitely some of the highlights of our trip! All along the way, Salih pointed out other places he suggested visiting and gave us advice about shopping and eating in the days to come. By the end of the tour, we felt more like we had spent a day with a new local friend than with a tour guide! He ended our tour at Fuego, a restaurant owned by his friend, and we enjoyed some drinks and dinner together. When we were ready to head back to the hotel, Salih offered to walk the few blocks back with us to make sure we arrived safely.

A few days later, we thought our time in Istanbul was ending, but when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast of the US, the return flight home to NY for two of us was cancelled, and we found ourselves in Istanbul for an additional three days! After we accepted the fact we had 3 "bonus days" of vacation, we started brainstorming what to do, and the first thing we thought was to take another tour with Salih! We emailed him on Wednesday morning, and by Wednesday evening we were hanging out with Salih again for his Two Continents tour. We took the ferry to Asia, explored some markets, ate some very unique and delicious food at a well-known restaurant, spent some time in a game room learning how to play Okey (and tried some raki in the process), and then took the ferry back to Europe for the world's best baklava (and when they advertise it as such, it really is true!). We ended the evening again at the nargile bar with some tea. That "four hour tour" turned into more like 6 hours, and by the end of the evening, some of Salih's friends had joined us. Again, it felt like we had just spent an evening with an old friend. We shared several great conversations, many laughs, and learned so much about the culture and local experiences we never would have tried on our own. Salih even shared in some of our antics, like wearing big silly sunglasses for some pictures. During that second evening with Salih, we asked for a recommendation on doing a Turkish Bath the next day. He described a few options and gave us his opinion, and we agreed that we wanted to try it the following day. When I asked about how to make arrangements, Salih said not to worry, and he would call the next morning and make us appointments. Sure enough, while we were eating lunch the next day, we get a text from Salih with the details of our appointments that afternoon. It was greatly appreciated, and made for such a smooth and stress-free part of our vacation!

I can't describe enough how professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and trustworthy Salih is. I've traveled across Europe and South America, and Istanbul has become one of my favorite cities in the world, and I attribute a large portion of that to the experiences that Salih shared with us. I guarantee our trip wouldn't have included half of what we did without Salih's tours, and he helped open our eyes to an amazing culture. I want some of my friends to visit Istanbul, just so I can recommend Salih.... and if I ever find myself in or near Turkey again, Salih will be the first person I call.

Visited October 2012
Houston, Texas
“An exceptional tour and guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I'm so glad I found out about My Local Guide tours on Trip Advisor! From arranging the airport transfers to the solo Istanbul Heritage tour, Salih was great. (I didn't realize I was the only one on the tour and am surprised/happy he didn't cancel or reschedule.) We covered parts of Istanbul I wouldn't have found on my own or would have avoided because of the hilliness. Besides the amazing views, especially from Pierre Loti, what makes Salih's tours exceptional is that you leave Istanbul with a greater appreciation for the city and its heritage. Compared to other organized tours I took on this trip (and other trips for that matter), this tour was by far the most conversational, informative, relaxed, and enjoyable. I wish I had taken more My Local Guide tours. Highly recommend!!!

Visited November 2012