“Authentic Turkish experience” 4 of 5 stars

rimini
13 attraction reviews
“Authentic Turkish experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a movies's spa or to the Turkish bath of your dream, this won't work for you. But if you are seeking a old fashion hamam, kept really clean it worth a visit (not for fussies). Overall good experience and honest price: 20 liras for Hamami. Negative point: people don't speak english (they answer in Turkish+gestures). Pay attention just to one thing: They charged me 5 lira for "service" and no more explanations given because of language boundaries. I would have tipped the men who took care of me but after this forced service tax I was a little disappointed.

Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
“Authentic bath house with clean facilities and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Don't expect luxury or an incredible massage and you won't be disappointed. Good people, cool architecture, no English. I left clean and relaxed.

8 attraction reviews
“Authentic place !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Traditional Hamam, you feel welcome by ladies, cheaper than the one on European side (40 TL) for entrance, scrub and massage, very good looking, everything provided, safe.

I would recommend it for sure !

Visited December 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Unlike most hamam's in Istanbul, Aziye hamam is not touristic and pricy. It's a family business, that's being run traditionally and many locals choose here for this reason. Hamam is where Turkish people go to relax, socialize, and have some peace of mind as the acoustics and natural lighting is very soothing.

Unlike Spa saloons, Massage and Scrub at hamam is short and brief, which is normal because the main idea of hamam is not getting a lenghty massage, but sitting and relaxing in a warm, quiet environment. Both Scrub and Massage are optional, so you only need to pay the entrance fee. Entrance fee is 20 Turkish Liras. No one will ask you to pay anything else, unless you ask for a beverage or massage or etc.

Workers are quite old and local people, but they are not rude, it's just that they speak very little English, and they'd try to help using hand gestures which can seem rude sometimes.

Just a suggestion, don't get nervous and smile; take your time and enjoy yourself.

Visited September 2012
Varna, Bulgaria
“Authentic hammam experience, nice staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

A friend and I (both female) decided to try Aziziye since we wanted something a little cheaper and not touristy. We were the only foreigners there on a Monday afternoon around 4pm; the place seemed to have a handful of happy Turkish customers, which we took as a sign that locals like it and go there regularly, but it was not at all crowded. The women's side is open until 6:30. We stayed until 6 and never felt rushed or unwelcome.
One staff member spoke a little English which was very helpful, but even the staff who only spoke Turkish made an effort to communicate with gestures. My friend and I are both practiced at non-verbal communication, and weren't expecting anyone to speak English considering this is not a place geared toward tourists, so we didn't find this difficult or an impediment to the experience. We got the scrub and massage, which along with the hammam entrance came to 40lira per person. We decided to tip an extra 7.50 at the end, but the staff never mentioned tipping once, not even at payment.
We enjoyed Aziziye very much, but we expected a hammam experience and not a luxury spa. Towels are provided, both for inside the hammam and afterwards for drying off. Everyone, including staff, was wearing only bikini bottoms. The scrub and massage are firm and utilitarian, the shampoo is not fancy (we brought our own scrub mitts and soap, which I recommend), and the women scrubbing and massaging us were thorough, not at all delicate. Anyone who is uncomfortable with nudity, being touched, or doesn't like exfoliation would probably not enjoy it. But we enjoyed it, and both felt cleaner than the day we were born when we were done.
Both before and after the scrub, we had plenty of time to relax in the steam, bathe ourselves and do whatever we wanted. After almost 90 minutes in the hammam, we both laid on clean towels in our dressing room drinking cold water for about 15 minutes. No one bothered us or rushed us at all.
At payment, we also asked for directions to a restaurant. The woman who spoke English wasn't sure of the location, but tried to help and even recommended another restaurant that she liked (although didn't pressure us to go to her choice instead).
This was a week ago, and my skin still looks amazing and feels softer than it did when I was 15. Based on my friend and my experience, I think this is a fantastic and authentic hammam, but not for someone expecting a western spa.

Visited August 2012