“Best place for a Turkish bath experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 543 Activities in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historical and Luxurious Art of BathingHistorical and Architectural Features“I hope that until the end of days, good hearted friends who take a look at what I have made, when they will perceive the seriousness and the spirit of my effort, can have a fair view and can invoke my name to pray for me.” Mimar Sinan, ArchitectThe Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam in Istanbul was designed and built by Mimar Sinan, the chief Ottoman architect. It was built at the request of Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana), the wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 16th century. It was built where the ancient public baths of Zeuxippus used to stand, between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. The area is also particularly significant as the site where the Temple of Zeus once stood.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
“Best place for a Turkish bath experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

So my wife and I wanted to experience a Turkish bath. We tried to find a good place here on Trip Advisor and read lots of reviews. Most of the other popular places had many bad reviews saying there was mold, that they got skin infections after their visit, bad service, etc. So then we found this place on Trip Advisor and noticed the very good reviews. Although the price for the Turkish Bath is considerably more expensive here (85 euros vs 30-40 euros), we decided to give it a try. I was a little worried after reading all those bad reviews other places had (particularly those nasty reviews about skin infections), but fortunately, this place was indeed great.

First of all, you get what you pay for. This place is basically a luxurious spa "a la turkish". The place is beautiful, extremely clean and fancy, and you get excellent service from the staff. So, if you don't want to risk 30-40 euros on one of the other cheaper hamam places to get a bad or horror experience, visit this place for a safe bet (but more expensive bet).

We made an appointment for 6:30pm. My wife and I got their and then each went their way. This is not a mixed hamam. So women on one side, and men on the other. I got in and received a small kit. They instructed me to go to the locker room, undress and put on a small sarong. Inside the locker there was a pair of sealed plastic flip-flops which I put on. When I was ready, a guy walked me inside the facility, right into the hamam.

The actual Turkish bath experience was interesting. Yes, you do get pampered and you do get a nice massage, but having someone else scrub you and bathe you was a bit awkward at times. Particularly when you're pretty much naked... However, it's something you should experience at least once if you're in Turkey.

The place was really beautiful. Although the place was built in the 16th century, the place looks great. One would almost think it's brand new. As for the staff, they were all really nice and friendly.

As a final word, if money is not an issue, avoid the other hamams and just go with this one. It's the safest bet according to my research.

Visited May 2014

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“royal with heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

In a few words: stunning interior and warm, friendly staff, definitely a place that you must see. If you are planning to visit Hamam In Istanbul, this is definitely the right choice. Thank you Serkan, I hope to see you soon :)

Visited April 2014

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
“Very posh and decent place for Turkish bath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The location is superb, right to the middle of the cultural site... Facility is very posh and clean... service is good... Imagine, after a long walk form Blue mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi, then you are pampered by somebody who help you to ease your muscle and soothe your body... after the session I feels so fresh and relaxing... The price is a bit on high side BUT I would say don't spoil your day and your trip with the low-end one... I think it is worth to try the Turkish bath in Turkey with such a place where can make you really happy!!

Visited April 2014
ramstein-miesenbach, germany
19 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We toured for 6 days, the last 3 in Istanbul. We walked mile upon mile and were exhausted by the end of the 6th day. Prior to leaving the country we went to this wonderful turkish bath. I was so impressed with the soap massage. We really enjoyed the experience. My husband even got a facial. It was so relaxing! I would recommend getting the full treatment, the mud mask looks amazing. One person in the bath told me it was her 3rd visit in a week. After you are totally relaxed and "resting" before you dress they serve you this amazing juice and some turkish delite. The juice was outstanding. I think this was the perfect end to an amazing trip!

Visited May 2014
Sydney, Australia
“I have lived as a Godess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

When I visited Turkey, one of the main things I wanted to experience was a traditional Hamam.

So I and an intrepid girlfriend took the plunge and opened the door to another world. Shaking in our boots (well we would have been, except of course we had to leave them at the door) we entered to enquire about a visit. We were given a menu; much like that we would receive at any day spa, the world over. The words – ‘Pleasure of the Hamam’ – immediately took our eye ... Yes please. We made the date and feeling much like someone who has just conquered a major milestone in life, but still a tad scared we found our boots and exited back to the throbbing streets of Istanbul.

When the time arrived, we again entered into the unique world of the Hamam. Leaving our clothes in a locker and covered only by a cotton sarong, we waited with anxiety mixed with a vague feeling of excitement and wonder. Soon our ladies came to collect us. Gorgeous ladies, who did not speak massive amounts of English, but never the less made us feel entirely comfortable. We were led into the deep interior of the Hamam, where you are surrounded by more marble that you would find in the Carrara Mountains in Italy, more warmth than a sultry pacific island day and more moisture in the air, than a muggy Sydney afternoon. In short – magic!

Striped of our sarongs, we were shown how to fill a marble basin and shower ourselves with golden tin bowls of warm water. Following the warm bathing, our lovely ladies took us to a marble slab, where they proceeded to scrub our bodies down. I was so blissed out, that I did not even open my eyes, although I do recall even having the inside of my ears washed.
Then to the hexagonal marble slab where we lay, while a concoction of what I can only rudely call ‘soapy suds’ were dropped onto our bodies reminiscent of the effervescence of one thousand mini explosions. Incredible.

Once we have been fully bathed we were led to relax in arm chairs and drink a sweet drink. I had no idea what it was, but was so relaxed, I would have downed anything. I was then asked if I was ready for an oil massage. That’s a no-brainer!

So in conclusion, I found Ayasofya Hamam to cost no more that I would pay in any other part of the world for a day spa treatment. Certainly it’s not cheap, but I now know that I have lived the life of a Goddess, and can only say, do it – let yourself go, get into the spirit of 500 years ago and travel on the bliss express, to a time past.

Visited September 2013