“glad tried, if went back just massage” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 107 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historical and Luxurious Art of BathingHistorical and Architectural Features“I hope that until the end of days, good hearted friends who take a look at what I have made, when they will perceive the seriousness and the spirit of my effort, can have a fair view and can invoke my name to pray for me.” Mimar Sinan, ArchitectThe Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam in Istanbul was designed and built by Mimar Sinan, the chief Ottoman architect. It was built at the request of Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana), the wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 16th century. It was built where the ancient public baths of Zeuxippus used to stand, between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. The area is also particularly significant as the site where the Temple of Zeus once stood.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
40 attraction reviews
“glad tried, if went back just massage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

men and women separate. Men semi draped in lose cloth that is going to fall and come off - same with women -they may say your not naked and you can try not to be, but you likely will be. Nicely located right by Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Make a reservation in advance. Couldn't get in one day, made reservation for next. then after wanted to go back for more, but they were booked. Did royal treatment 90 minutes+, food was too much. Gets hot in there. Massage was great. You'll stink like their lotion and oils - so wear old clothes that you won't need the rest of the trip (put in hefty bag or your whole suitcase will stink) or wear clothes that will get immediately laundered.

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Woodside, New York
14 attraction reviews
“beautiful wall decorations- must see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

it costs 25 Turkish Liras to enter this place and its worth it! the inside is full of beautiful wall.ceiling decorations, and history!!

Visited April 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Expensive, very clean, friendly staff, men women totally separate areas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was my first ever experience of going to a Turkish bath and I didn't want it to be a bad one! The lady who was our advisor at the Sirkeci konak hotel, where we stayed recommended it as the best place to go to in the sultanahmet area. It is located between hagya sophya and the blue mosque, if you are walking away from hagya sophya towards blue mosque, it is located on the left side of the fountain that lies between them. The men's hamam entrance is through a cafe and the ladies is from a side entrance. I wanted to go to a hamam which was completely separate for ladies and this suited me perfectly. I went to have a look one afternoon and booked a session after asking them for a time when it would be a bit quiter. They suggested either 9 am or 1 pm. I went for the afternoon session. It was fairly quiet. I was taken to a cubicle, which had a digital lock on the door so I was happy about my belongings being safe. I had booked the package which included the full works, I.e. the Turkish bath and massage etc for euros 165, it said it would take 90 mins altogether. A lady was there to help me throughout and the the place was immaculate. I was taken to a different place for the massage after the bath. In the end I realised I had spent about 2 and a half hours in there but I was thoroughly relaxed. Do remember that the lady who helps with the bath expects a tip and also the masseur. I left 20turkish liras for the first one who spent about an hour and a half with me and 10 Turkish liras for the masseur who spent about half an hour. Over all I would recommend this place if you can afford it, there are other less expensive packages that they offer.

Visited April 2013
Evanston, Illinois USA
5 attraction reviews
“Interesting, and very, very clean....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Firstly, thanks to Ian P (Liverpool) for his advice via private message, as well as his excellent review. I chose this hamam based on location (steps from my hotel) and TA reviews. I wasn't disappointed.

I had a 9:00 am appointment on a Wednesday, and to my amazement I was the only client during my entire visit (at least on the men's side of the building). Everything was immaculate, as was I when I left at 11:00 am (although I did feel compelled to shower afterwards at the hotel, due to some of the oil that was used in the process).

The place is beautiful, and the attendants are friendly and know what they are doing. The location couldn't have been better, and it you walk very fast you may be able to avoid the pesky rug merchants who loiter everywhere in Sultanahmet (this is the only negative thing I have to say about my three-day visit there).

Definitely something to include on your to-do list in Istanbul.

Oslo, Norway
9 attraction reviews
“A clean, luxurious bath and massage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hammam is recently renovated and reopened a year ago, with clean nice changing booths, massage booths, relax area and a wonderful warm bath/hammam with only women customers and women therapists.
The feeling that nothing was in a hurry started at arrival in the bath house, and even in the evening it is possible to stay for hours, even after your treatment, and relax, read, drink tea. This place is very nice for stressed out people after a long day of sightseeing. I had sore muscles and a bad back, but expert aromatherapist Atena, with a very good English and a sweet nature, helped me and gave me extra time as my back slowly came back into shape. She had a great knowledge of the oils she used and also gave me extensive advice when I asked, and she took care not to hurt my back in the problem areas. The bath staff also understood my need to do the washing myself, again because of the fear that soapwash would hurt my back more. They were flexible and did charge very little for the extra time, even if the cost of the massage was close to the rates in Norway/Scandinavia. I really got value for my money and 65 minutes aromatherapy massage, even as I paid for 50 minutes. Both me and my friend got also at least 20 minutes to relax afterwards, before we left the massage bench quietly and in no hurry. The staff sold their own products, wonderful rose body cream and peeling. This was normal Turkish prices, and absolutely worth it. I paid for the massage and stay 2 hours a total of 90 euros. My best spent money in Istanbul! Refreshed, calm and with a comfortable feeling, both during and after the treatment. There are surely cheaper places, but I doubt there are any place cleaner in the Old Town.