“Small, authentic shop, with honest and hassle free warmth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Motif Collection

Motif Collection
Kabasakal Caddesi, Istanbul 34122, Turkey (Sultanahmet - Old City)
+902125161374
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 371 shopping in Istanbul
Type: Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: With 20 years experience, Motif Collection provides the best quality fully handcrafted carpets and kilims. While predominantly Turkish, our collection also features carpets from around the world, antique pieces and rare fragments. We also sell hand crafted Turkish ceramics and unique Turkish giftware.
St George
5 attraction reviews
“Small, authentic shop, with honest and hassle free warmth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

After doing a small amount of research on the prospect of maybe purchasing a couple of Turkish carpets, I finally decided that Motif Collection was going to be the shop for me. I was not disappointed with my choice of property. After entering the quaint little shop I was approached by a lovely gentleman, he took quite a significant amount of time explaining the different types of carpets and their religious and or tribal meanings. I was not pressured at any time into a sales pitch, and didn't feel like I was expected to purchase something in return for his time and expertise. After spotting a couple of carpets that I really liked, I told him that I would think about a purchase but needed some time to think it over. This was no problem for him, he even said he would keep them aside on the chance I would come back. And when I did return, he had kept his word and they were still put aside from the rest of his stock. I though he was very honest, and had the patients of a saint with me, as I took up quite a bit of his time on my second visit!!! On return from my holiday, the rugs that I purchased were waiting for me wrapped up very securely with absolutely no damage in transit!! If ever I purchase more carpets in the future I won't hesitate to contact the lovely Motif Collection store.

• Turkish first
Santa Monica, California
“Helpful, honest and no hassle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were interested in buying tribal kilims. We met the owner of Motif Collection, Hamit after we went to many carpet shops. He was very honest and has a deep knowledge of tribal carpets and kilims. He is willing to share the knowledge with other people. We enjoyed listening to and talking with Hamit. After spending two hours, we bought beautiful kilims (two big size and one runner) with a reasonable price. Now we love the tribal pieces very much. We think we made the best choice and shopping. If you want to buy genuine tribal carpets or kilims after you get enough knowledge, you must go to Motif Collection and meet Hamit Balkir.

Florida
6 attraction reviews
“Best little carpet shop in all of Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'm a bit biased as the proprietors after fifteen plus years of trips to Turkey are now friends of mine but it remains true that Nadir, Hamit and Mustafa are some of the most knowledgeable and honest businessmen I've ever met. I've bought from others over the years but they are the only dealers of carpets whom I trust completely.

Visited May 2013
New Zealand
“A wonderful experience! Thank you Hidir.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have arrived back in NZ last night and I needed to write about this beautiful little shop before I got back into normal life. I searched Motif collections out, after reading about it on tripadvisor before we left for Turkey. After several visits into other rug shops, and the hard sales tactics from them, I was so relieved to find Hidir and Mehmet. They were gentle, hospitable and passionate about their carpets. It was such a lovely atmosphere, an experience. I spent several hours with them just looking at many many rugs, and went back to them in the pm with 2 friends. Over the following days, we purchased a total of 3 rugs. Now I am home I wish I had bought another. Hidir, thank you for your hospitality and for the beautiful cushion covers. I will really treasure those. I have unpacked our gorgeous silk carpet and my family can't believe how beautiful it is. Thank you. Sorry for not coming back to see the other silk carpets. I simply ran out of time! I will email you - perhaps you could take a photo for me? We loved our time in your wonderful country. Our time with you was one of the highlights. Many thanks. Lee.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“True Carpet Shopping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place is simply the best in istanbul for carpet shopping!if somebody knows how to fix the thing he is selling that means he knows all about it!in Motif Collection i met quality people with very generous heart!
They really know what they are doing.They are easy, honest and not bargaining.After some minutes talk you are just feeling that they are very serious in their work!i think all this things were quait enough for us to make our purchase in this small shop!
We bought two large size older carpet.We are very happy with the price we had also.i do recommend this small carpet shop to everbody who are after easy shopping and looking for true Turkish carpet!Thank you very much to everbody in Motif Collection!

Visited April 2013