“Excellent hotel and good value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neorion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Neorion Hotel to your Saves list
Neorion Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Orhaniye Street No 14 | Sirkeci, Istanbul 34120, Turkey   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 925 Hotels in Istanbul
Hertford
“Excellent hotel and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Neorion on my first trip to Istanbul. For those that only read the first few lines of a review this is an excellent hotel in a really convenient location with friendly staff, large, clean rooms and excellent food (based on breakfast).

I received a lovely friendly welcome upon arrival. The free transfer from the airport and the 10% discount for payment in cash upon arrival were both very welcome incentives. I did not make much use of the staff in terms of seeking advice on places to go but I strongly suspect that if I had of done they would have been very helpful. My room was large, immaculately clean and stylishly furnished. The bathroom had everything I needed (large shower, rather than bath) and was again very clean. The only meal I ate in the hotel was breakfast but this was very good with lots of choice and it's great that they serve until 11am allowing for a holiday lie in. I really can't fault this hotel but the location, whilst convenient for many attractions, might not be to everyone's liking.

The hotel is located in a retail district about a 5 minute walk from the Spice Market and 10 minutes from the Topkapi palace and the various attractions of the old town. The location is excellent, in the respect that you are very close to several of Istanbul's major attractions and it's well served by the tram network. However Neorion is located in a buzzy retail district that's undergoing quite a lot of building work so it's not the most picturesque location and if you're looking for peace and quite (in the locality, rather than in the hotel) then the Neorion might not be for you. None of this bothered me. I felt very safe in the area around the hotel and the streets are quiet after about 11pm at night so no problems with noise when I was trying to sleep. The area is also well served by restaurants although I'd suggest taking a 10 minute walk to the excellent Hamdi (in front of the spice bazaar, overlooking the Bosphorous) or heading over the Bosphorous to some of the excellent restaurants there.

A lovely stay in an awe inspiring City. I will certainly be heading back. Thank you to everyone at the Neorion.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Owner of the hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Being our first trip to Istanbul, I have chosen this hotel which also owned some 4 or 5 other hotels. I thought we would be in safe hands, choosing a Tripadvisor top rated hotel to stay, and we were right on. To put it in a nutshell, we were in safe hands of the Sirkeci Hotel Group!

After a 10-11 hours flight, the Hotel's free pre-arranged driver was waiting for us, a nice touch! However, a supposed half an hour trip had turned into a 1.5 hours one with slow and jammed traffic (not the hotel's fault, it being a Monday morning). But we thought the driver could have taken the coastal route, a little longer but more scenic, and perhaps not as jammed? (we realised this when travelling to/fro from the same Ataturk airport for our flight to Kayseri, Cappadocia).

Check in was fast and we were offered free breakfasts upon check in - a nice and gracious touch but we were so tired that we declined, instead, we had asked for some fruits and some moments later, a plate of nicely cut fruits were in the biggest room which I had pre-selected, Deluxe room 601.

We tried but failed to catch a nap before beginning our exciting itinerary to tour the nearby sights, due mainly to the constant car honking, tram moving and even ships' sounds. I thought I was told the best room, being on the 6th floor, was a quiet one for resting and sleeping? But this was not to be and that is why, I did not give this top rated hotel a 5 stars rating. It seems it's outward facing windows are not very well sound proofed, a fact that all good hotels must invest enough in good windows as good sleep/rest is the top most priority whenever one stays in a hotel (well, at least for us).

And contrary to what most people had said about its good location, yes, we found it closest to the Topkapi Palace and the Archaeological Museum, that's about all. Other important sights like the Haiga Sophia and the Blue Mosque are further away, at least a 8-10 minutes walk away. And the Grand Bazaar is even further, a 4 stop tram ride away. But the Hotel is even closer (about 1-2 minutes walk) to the Hodjapasha Cultural Centre, where nightly Whirling Dervishes were staged at 7.30pm and on certain nights, a History of Dance Culture in Turkey were staged at 9pm. We watched both shows while staying here and both were indeed great!

Like some reviewers had pointed out, the Neorion Hotel isn't really a cheap hotel to stay in the Old town of Istanbul. A proper check would reveal that for a similiar 4 star Hotel in the same area, it is more expensive by at least 40-50 euros a night. Fine for us as we stayed only 3 nights but if you were to stay longer, there are certainly other cheaper options nearby.

But for the slightly higher price here, you would also get a lot of other extras - small swimming pool, suana, steam room, Turkish bathrooms at the basement; free gifts like a Haiga Sophia plague on Easter, a box of Turkish Delight before checking out, free mezes from 1-6pm daily, great Concierge staff who helped to book online Haiga Sophia tickets for us (just give them your credit card to avoid queuing 30-40 minutes in the early April cold!), free one way airport transfer if you stay 3 nights and a slight discount if you pay in cash etc etc. Not forgetting, the great breakfast daily, with eggs cooked in 4-5 ways, YUM YUM for egg lovers like me!

Overall, due in part to jet lag and the inability to catch afternoon naps here, we slept like babies in the Hotel - both contour pillows and the beds were among one of the most comfy that we had on this 10 nights Istanbul trip! Our Deluxe room 601 was quite spacious (but the pictures had made it appear even more so, but in reality, it is fine), with a long terrace that offers views of the Suleymaniye Mosque and partial Bosphorus views - quite nice and special for a first trip to Istanbul I must say.

After a wonderful 3 nights stay at the Neorion, we went to Cappadocia Cave Suites in Goreme for another 3 nights stay. And after our return to Istanbul from Kayseri, Cappdocia, we stayed another 2 more nights at the Hotel Ciragan Palace Kempinski and finally, 2 last nights at the new Sura Design & Suites Hotel (do read my other reviews on these other Turkish hotels).

Overall, you would not go wrong staying in such a top rated Hotel where guests are treated like Kings and Queens, with due respect and any requests from quests would normally be greeted with a resounding 'YES', like asking to swim in its pool at 7am when the pool actually starts later. The great staff training and right corporate culture/attitude has made this a number one Istanbul Hotel, and rightly so.

Room Tip: Ask for other quieter rooms facing the front, not at the back where it is closer to tram lines.
My dearest guest,
I am Faruk Boyacı,the owner of the hotel, I would like to thank you for your review about Neorion Hotel on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments.
Accepting you also as a member of Neorion Hotel Family, we will be very happy to host you with the same passion in Neorion Hotel when you come back to Istanbul.
Warm regards from Istanbul,

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The perfect location for the major sites. The reports are correct! Outstanding service and outstanding friendliness, help and hospitality from all the knowledgeable staff. Well appointed and spotlessly clean with a good pool/sauna area. Very quickly became a true home in Istanbul

Hope to see you soon.
Best Wishes from Istanbul Neorion Hotel Family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about our stay was the standout staff. They were all so friendly and helpful with a sincerity and willingness that is rare and it made our stay most refreshing and pleasant. That alone was a great reason to stay there but It's also in a very good location with most things in a few minutes walk, plus our room was good, breakfast was good, the roof terrace nice, and the afternoon mezze a welcome pick me up after our long days walking round Istanbul. The free airport transfer was very good too and the arrival and leaving gift a nice touch. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Hope to see you soon.
Best Wishes from Istanbul Neorion Hotel Family

Owner of the Hotel
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We were guided there by all the posisitive vibes about the place, plus the location is brilliant. Once there we realized it is not only the place, not the hotel, but it is the staff! The welcome was just different. We felt like we were awaited for. We arrived in the morning and were invited for a breakfast and got our room on the spot. A superb room on the 6 floor with view on the Blue Mosque. Simply think of something and once you are at the lobby it is done. This team has a capacity to be there before your requests. It is simply magnificent. We had to cut our trip short for personnal reasons but we will come back. A place to recommend.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
boyaci, Owner at Neorion Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

If you need any kind of assistance about Istanbul or Turkey. I will be very happy to host you again in Istanbul or in Neorion Hotel when you come back.

Owner of the hotel
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We booked The Neorion based on the tripadvisor reviews and they were spot on! No wonder this hotel is rated #1. It has an incredibly helpful, hospitable, charming and knowledgeable staff. It has a great location, within walking distance of most attractions. It is also very well appointed, with clean, comfortable rooms and offers a tasty and varied breakfast buffet to boot. We couldn't ask for more. It has been one of the more memorable travel experiences my wife and I have had and we are looking forward to visiting them again with the rest of the family.

Room Tip: Even though we had a room on the fifth floor and facing the street, we did not notice a significant...
My dearest guest,

Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path.

Faruk Boyaci
Owner of the Hotel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We wondered how the hotel could be as good as Trip Advisor makes out. Well, it is. The service is at the heart of the experience, with drinks and a warm welcome, guiding you through your trip (where to go, how to get there, dinner reservations...) - this really set the tone, knowing we were in safe hands!
If you still need persuasion to book:
The turkish baths/spa is beautifully clean and very welcome after a day walking around Istanbul!
Breakfast gives a really wide choice, and is very tasty! It certainly kept us going for site-seeing!
The afternoon complimentary meze is wonderful - you don't need to buy lunch out!
The whole hotel is immaculately clean
The roof-top terrace gives an amazing view across Istanbul
The location is excellent - within walking distance of pretty much all the main sites
The bedrooms are clean and well-presented
Free transfer from the airport
The level of service is second to none, and cannot be beaten! I don't think I've experienced that level of kindness at any hotel across the world. It felt like home.

Room Tip: Two tips - if you want a quiet room, ask in advance. The rooms at the back are silent (perfect for t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear my guest;
It was our great pleasure to host you in Istanbul, in our hotel.

Thank you for sharing your experinces with other people on this very important platform.

Hope to be together again.

Faruk Boyaci - The Owner

Been to Neorion Hotel? Share your experiences!