“Loved It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sura Hotel & Suites

You added Sura Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Sura Hotel & Suites
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Divanyolu Cad. Alemdar Mah. Ticarethane Sok. No:45 Sultanahmetane Sk. No 45, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #209 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

It was the first time I visited to Istanbul in May of 2014. I'm a female in a wheelchair; I went with my sister in law and my granddaughter. I met the owner Ibrahim, his son Hassan and other staff members Fatima and Saudat and other staff members who were just as great but I don't remember their names. I was given an accessible room, and the accommodations necessary for disabled people. My sister in law couldn't push the wheelchair through the streets, so the owner Ibrahim decided out of the kindness of his heart to send his son and one of his staff members Saudat to go out with us and help us to push the wheelchair and go site seeing, without their help we would not have been able to go out. The room was very clean and breakfast was awesome and included. They have a garden that visitors can sit in and tea and desert is provided for free in the noon time. I will never forget their kindness and generosity and they sure left a favorable impression on us and I recommend this place to any one who is staying in a hotel in Istanbul. I already recommended it to my parents who are planning on visiting Istanbul. I rate this hotel 5 stars for their wonderful services, their cleanness, hospitality and food. And an extra 5 stars for their kindness and compassion. Also, The hotel's location was superb; it was a walking distance from all the attractions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Amazing breakfast , lovely staff all smiling ...guest relation girlss esp Miss Asmar was sooo helpful in every question ı asked ... rooms are very clean and location is perfect ! thank you Sura Hagia Sophia staff for making my vacation unforgettable

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Sura Hagia hotel (across the street from the Sura Suites). It is perfectly located in Sultanahmet - in the heart of Old Town Istanbul. It is a clean, modern hotel. The rooms are VERY SMALL with very limited storage space/drawers for clothing etc. But if you travel in Europe a lot, the size of the is something that won't surprise you.

I booked a room for three adults and two young children. They gave us a room with a king size bed and added a playpen for one of the children. Means that two adults and our child slept in the King size and the other one slept in the playpen. The point is that it is cramped quarters, but it wasn't a big deal for us because we spent the day out and about and returned for kids' naps and bedtime.

The breakfast is great, the swimming pool area is charming, guest services staff are attentive and nice. The ONLY issue we had was at the very end.

We were being pushed to take a private car instead of a taxi. On three occasions we told the bellman "no thanks", that we would take a taxi. He said that the private car would be the same amount of money as a taxi and we would go in a big van. I refused and said that I didn't have time to go in a group to the airport. He insisted and said that the van was private, no one else would be in the van and the cost would be 60 lira flat - about what I paid for the taxi w/tip. He said we would be more comfortable and the van would arrive in 10 minutes.

I finally agreed only after I asked him 4 times if he was sure it was private ...meaning just us two and my two children. No one else and no other pick ups along the way. I did not want anything lost in translation.

When the nice black Mercedes van arrived, there were a number of bags out front being loaded. It turns out that it was us and others ... it in fact WAS NOT a private van/transportation. Fortunately there was only one other family, so there was not a huge delay. But I was livid because the bellman flat out lied to me.

I asked the lovely woman at guest services to come out. I explained what happened in front of the bellman and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that it was no problem, that we had time. I told him, I did not have time, that I could have left 20 minutes ago and now I was waiting for other people to board the van. The guest services attendee agreed that this was not appropriate.

Finally while we were charged 60 lira the other family was charged 120 lira (double what I paid), so they got scammed.

Fortunately we were all heading to the same departure area and we were on Turkish Airlines, but I cut it very close. The hotel was lovely, but this end of trip hotel staff incident left a bad taste in my mouth and I question how trustworthy the hotel's staff is. The bellman not only lied but was also taking advantage of guests. It is for this reason I rate this hotel so low.

Would I stay there again? Probably. But I would not trust any transportation or other recommendations that come from the bellmen.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked this hotel online prior to my arrival in Istanbul. The sura design hotel was breathtakingly beautiful and the room was wonderfully decorated with a private balcony. I paid a reasonable price but felt like I was living the life of the rich and famous. The staff are friendly and the breakfast was excellent. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a great hotel with friendly staff and a great location for the historical sites and restaurants of Istanbul.
The rooms facing the street are better if you want less noise from "the call to prayer" and the breakfast is excellent. One negative is the lack of a plug in the bathroom sink so it is a good idea to bring your own.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The location of the hotel is pretty good if you want to see almost all the historical monuments in a short term, but you have to know that if you would stop there, you will get an absolutely bad experience by the service of the hotel. The management and the hosts speak enlist very poor, the cloning service clean the room with leaving dirty plates, they will be bring you the laundry only if you'll call them several times at the second day after it should be ready, the swimming pool and the territory around it will be cleaned at your presence at 10 am and the manager, the cleaning personal won't let you in to the elevator, because they really think that their team are much more important, even if you really need to go to your room quickly.

Room Tip: If you really have no choice but to stay there, you have to double check if the room they gave you a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Giulianova, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Perfect location to visit the old Istanbul area
This Siltanahmet area it is safe and clean and so many restaurants in waling distance. You will not need to take taxi and be in the crazy Istanbul traffic jam.
The room at -1 floor are quiet dark.
Breakfast room it is crowded but service try to do his best
All italian language channels on tv !

Room Tip: If you need consierge suggestion , you will find the top. Ask about Ms. Omeroglu, she will help you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Sura Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!