“Fantastic hotel in the heart of it all” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sura Hotel & Suites

You added Sura Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Sura Hotel & Suites
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Divanyolu Cad. Alemdar Mah. Ticarethane Sok. No:45 Sultanahmetane Sk. No 45, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #211 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic hotel in the heart of it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed in this hotel for a couple of days, however, found it to be outstanding. They have done a fantastic job on the decorations of the hotel, and the rooms were surprisingly big. We had been cautioned about staying in the old city, due to being woken by the call to prayer - however, we did not expereince this problem during our stay at Sura. The staff are very friendly, and offer great advice. Also, the restaurant staff are friendly and helpful in advising wht to choose from the menu. The location is also outstanding, really in the heart of the main attractions in the old city. Plus, manay different restaurants to choose from within 100m of the hotel. All in all, I would definitely recommend.

Note: as the hotel is only 1 year old, and is not in a main street, I would recommend you bring a printed map to show to a taxi driver when you first go to the hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel was absolutely lovely - from the gentleman who checked me in through the helpful staff, excellent view and comfortable room. Based on other reviews I upgraded to a garden view balcony room which was WELL worth the money - I had a great view of the Blue Mosque. As a female traveling alone I was concerned with location and safety - I felt extremely safe and walked to everything - the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Cistern, Grand Bazaar, etc. Highly recommend. The room decor isn't exactly my taste but it did seem very Turkish. Daily breakfast was good but not amazing. Only complaint on sleep quality (which will happen anywhere in Istanbul) is that you are woken up by the Call to Prayer before dawn. The room was exceedingly quiet other than that.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the room w/ balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our guide, Ram Gulolglu, ram_dreng@yahoo.com found us this hotel. Having a walk-in shower was a must for me, but I never expected such a spacious, chic, up-scale place given that the rate was comparable to other properties I had checked out.

The service was outstanding in that every request was filled promply. The restaurant featured great choices for dinner; with a 10% discount coupon graciously
provided for guests of the hotel. One drawback that I did not know about ahead
of time (my fault) was that breakfast was not included, and was fairly expensive, at
approx. $35 for the two of us. Breakfast food included chef prepared omelets, etc,
varied cheeses, fruits, meats, breads, baked goods, typical Turkish treats.

Despite breakfast not being included, I would choose this hotel again for an Istanbul
stay. The location was deceiving: quiet, not much to see at one end of a small street, but down the other end, all sorts of restaurants, stores, and the top sites
in Turkey were all within walking distance: Hippodrome, Roman Cystern, Haghia Sophia, etc, Tram stop. With that said, the room itself, spacious, high tech designer gorgeous, with a large handicap bathroom was a hoot: imagine a safe in the bottom of a hutch, almost on the floor; no hooks, no table, no place to put anything in that
bathroom; no drawers, and little shelf space.

Comfortable beds, great table, lighting excellent, Chez Lounge,TV in a glass wall: a delight to come back to this room despite its quirkiness after a wonderful day of touring.

A shorter positive review would be: location, location, location. But, I did love the
luxe aspect of the Sura: can't remember the price, but the luxury was far more than I expected at that price. And, it was a boutque hotel, not a big chain.

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel would be quiet; it was on a very quiet little street. If you prefer a walk-i...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is ideally situated in the historic Sultanahmet district on Istanbul, just a short walk away from the Blue Mosque, Agia Sophia and the Grand Bazaar. I went there for a girlie weekend with 6 friends and I don’t think we could have made a better choice. The reception area and rooms were very pretty and stylish and truly fitted the boutique hotel vibe. The restaurant was great & the staff there superb . Everything was clean and spotless. There were 2 things however which stopped me giving the hotel 5 stars. Firstly, the reception staff. Even pre-arrival I had problems getting anyone to respond to my e-mails about a slight change (we wanted to change 2 double rooms into one triple as one of our friends was forced to drop out.). After my 3rd e-mail they finally did and thank goodness I had printed out & kept the correspondence. As we arrived, we were seated in the garden and offered a complimentary drink. A female receptionist then came and gave us a 15 minute talk about the town, marking sightseeing destinations on a map. Both were very much appreciated. We were then checked in with 2 rooms upgraded free of charge. The 3 of us who were sharing a room trundled up to find that the room given to us could barely for 2 single beds, much less a third. We went back downstairs but the receptionist who had been so nice to us moments earlier just didn’t want to know. She was almost blatantly rude. She said that she had no record of us having a triple room and that if we wanted one now we would have to fork out quite a bit more money. It was only when I showed her my e-mail exchange with her colleague that she grudgingly relented and said that we could have the room for the agreed 40 euro extra per night. We then had to turf our unpacked friends out of one of the upgraded rooms which was twice the size of the one that we had originally been given and a rollaway bed was produced. After this, smiles were no longer forthcoming from the reception staff. When we ordered some ice, we had to call twice before it was delivered. We also had to call reception twice to get someone to come and open a locked safe. The second and much smaller fault was that the bathroom & toilet were in a glass box inside the main room with blinds for privacy. Not ideal when sharing a room with friends as every sound could be heard through. We ended up using the toilet downstairs in the lobby if we needed to do anything else apart from a wee. So all in all, a great hotel in a great location but with staff with attitude problems.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SedaKucukbenli, Front Office Manager at Sura Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us also for highlighting the interior design of our hotel,location and restaurant.
The title of the review made me feel added the details from the hotel. I would like to clarify some point in this matter with kind permission.I remember the guests ( 7 ladies ) who were so lovely and friendly .Their original reservation was for 4 Deluxe Room, before they arrived they had cancelled one of their rooms and asked if they could have a room for three people .They was informed that,an extra bed could be added to one of the rooms for the regular charge of EUR 40 daily. Both sides were agreed that but the person who was corresponding to them was not me, l did not know anything until they arrived. Actually all the correspondace supposed to be added on behind of the guests’ folio but that had not been done, unfortunately.
The guests arrived approximately 11.30 A.M,I have checked the rooms which they would have were not still available then l offered them complimentary drinks as welcome, asked them to have a sit in our garden,escorted them and gave them oriantation on the map and some tips about city as she mentioned above. Although our check in time is at 14.00, l did not want them to keep waiting until the rooms become ready,l have upgraded two of their rooms with no extra charge by using my own initiative ( Essentially there is price difference between Deluxe Room and Garden Deluxe Room )They had their two rooms earlier than regular check in time, when they had third room they came down ( l was in the back office that time) they spoke to reception and reception said to me that they were not happy with the size of the room.Afterwards l have showed up explained them their original booking was for the Deluxe Room ( that they had ) I wished l could have upgraded them too but due to the availability l could not.I had their folio in my hand, started to check the reservation details and suddenly reliased that there was no note for the extra bed, they had booked 3 Deluxe Rooms.I told them if you would like we may add an extra bed to one of the their friends room because Garden Deluxe Rooms are larger than Deluxe Rooms they accepted that but l informed them there would be additional cost EUR 40 for the extra bed daily.That time they told me,they have booked a triple room l have explained them we did not have any triple rooms in our hotel according to guests request we add an extra bed to the room with additional cost of daily. They said to me they did not speak like that with our reservation department l asked them if they have a copy of correspondace with them, they showed me l have reliased, they were informed by reservation staff and they thought they would pay double cost for the extra bed.I have asked them to excuse me for the miscommunication with the reservation department an extra bed added to the Garden Deluxe Room after the mistake was sorted out, l asked our reservation staff about the update details why l would not delivered? She was very apologetic, after she cancelled one of their rooms she forgot to take a note for the extra bed and the cost have already agreed for both sides.
I accept there was miscommunication between reservation staff and me which never have should be happened but we are human not angels everybody has fault,but every single day we try and will try to become better than the day before.Also regardless of the content of the conversation if anyone says we were rude it is nobody’s fault but ours -in this case- mine in particular.
For all your valued feedback we have note for our improvement.We hope to be able to welcome them again and have another opportunity to serve them better.

Ms. Seda Kucukbenli
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Excellent location, friendly, good service, Nice room vith a view of the Blue Mosque.
Quiet street, quiet room.
Good design of entre hotel.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Near the Big Sites on Sultanahmet.

Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Excellent location and nice interior design.

"Sura" is a very good hotel. Nevertheless, there are some minor things which need improvement. First and most important - hotel staff MUST improve English language skills! Secondly, for a hotel which is just one year old, I would expect a bit more clean and well maintained room.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Sura Restaurant is really awesome. Was recommended by our hotel staff at Hotel Lausos. Was really classy, with a combination of traditional and european food. Very welcoming and attentive staff, food was incredible (perfect). Dessert even more so (we ordered the Kazandibi).

The bathroom was pretty cool too ;)

The horse taps were a bit confusing though! LOL!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sura Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!