“A Howcanwepleaseyoutoday? hotel - outstanding in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The House Hotel Bosphorus

Save Saved
You added The House Hotel Bosphorus to your Saves list
The House Hotel Bosphorus
4.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Salhane Sokak No 1 | Ortakoy, Istanbul 34347, Turkey   |
Special Offer
-15% on Food & Beverage
Ranked #65 of 901 hotels in Istanbul
Los Angeles, California
“A Howcanwepleaseyoutoday? hotel - outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of May and happily would have stayed longer happily. The rooms are fully consistent with their high TA ratings. The noise was not an issue and we are not patrons of nightclubs. We could hear their rhythmic thumping sound, but it was sort of lulling and not at all loud after about midnight. We only heard that really awful screeching loudspeaker once in the morning, but in Istanbul it is brief and we quickly fell back to sleep. The hotel manager, Bahar Karaca, has trained his staff to operate at the highest level, which I call the Howcanwepleaseyoutoday? attitude (think Ritz Carlton) and in addition, in personal interactions he is most considerate and anxious to assure that all is well. We strongly recommend a superior room on the third floor with partial seaview. I forgot - chocolates on your pillow every night. Amazing hotel.

A huge bonus is the attached restaurant that has a very large, extremely atmospheric patio on the Bosphorus. It clearly is The Place to Be for the upscale Turkish residents and visitors. We normally avoid returning to the same restaurant during a stay, but couldn't resist going here twice.

We were quite apprehensive about going to Turkey, but now can't figure out why, at least as to Istanbul. Alacati and Kalkan. (not Bodrum) The people and standards are completely different than other Islamic countries. We avoided certain areas at night, but felt totally safe during the day. The residents, shop owners, restaurant staff, and others are more refined and genuine overall than in any western European countries we have been to yearly for the past 25 years.

Room Tip: We strongly recommend a superior room on the third floor with partial seaview where noise issues are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear trvelingtwo,

Heartfelt thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful, candid review and sharing your feedback with fellow travelers.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at The House Hotel Bosphorus and experienced our service philosophy. My team and I are dedicated to creating a memorable experience for our guests whether they are staying for one night or one week. Hearing feedback like yours absolutely make my day... On behalf of the entire Team Bosphorus, I thank you for your distinction.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Istanbul and perhaps you might travel to some other beautiful parts of our country to experience genuine Turkish hospitality.

Warm regards to LA,

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of June in a Deluxe Bosphorus Suite. The views of the Bosphorus were well worth it and the room was really well designed and very homely. The hotel itself is also beautiful but what really sets it apart from other hotels that we've stayed at is the service. From the moment we arrived Metin the concierge went out of his way to help us with anything he could. On our second day, he met my girlfriend in the street outside the hotel when she was on her way to the pharmacy and stopped whatever he was doing to go with her to two pharmacies and translate for her. We asked Cenk on the front desk for a local restaurant recommendation one night and he walked us to a restaurant that he thought we'd like and arranged a good table with the waiter for us. Bahar the hotel manager made a point of introducing herself to us when she saw us in reception and also sought us out to discuss our plans and offer advice for where not to go as we were actually there while the protests were underway in the city. It was also my girlfriend's birthday while we were there and whilst at breakfast, they brought her a birthday cake and candle along with two glasses of champagne. They also then delivered a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine to the room later with a birthday note from Bahar. I liked the location of the hotel being away from the main tourist part but this is still only a taxi, ferry or water taxi ride away. Getting to have dinner and drinks in the House Cafe bar and restaurant downstairs whilst backing onto the Bosphorus also added to the hotel's appeal. We plan to head back to Istanbul at some point in the future and will definitely be returning to the House Hotel Bosphorus and will not even think about booking another hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Stuart,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

It was lovely meeting you and your girlfriend. I shared your thoughts with my team including Metin and we are all thrilled you had a memorable time on this trip of celebration.

What you wrote is by far one of the most rewarding feedbacks we have ever received. We are humbled by your recognition.

Looking forward to the next time you will visit Istanbul so we can welcome you back.

My sincere thanks and warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the house hotel Bosporus during 27th June -4th July and am so happy that we chose to try.
We have stayed at most of five star hotels of Istanbul and like them but this small hotel and it's wonderful young team left such a great impression on us that I highly recommend to all my friends abroad.
It's on the Bosporus to start with and the staff is fabulous . The manager, front desk, concierge, housekeeping, waiters, they all have such a warm, caring and hospitable attitude that you feel special.
Bahar we wish you and all the staff all the best of luck, see you all our next trip to lovely Istanbul .
Nilgün Tekin

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Ms Tekin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your family and having you stay with us.

My team and I are extremely happy you enjoyed your first time at our hotel. We all appreciate your kindness and wonderful words.

Thank you for recommending our hotel, we look forward to the next time you will visit us.

Many thanks and warmest personal regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We thought we would spoil ourselves for our last night in Istanbul and stay at the House Hotel - it was well worth it. Friendly and attentive staff, luxurious room, well located and excellent views. We stayed in Room 208 (situated in the adjacent building). I would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JPH07,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

I am very happy to hear you had an enjoyable experience with us. You stayed in our Penthouse Suite 208 aka “Ortakoy Suite” located on the third floor of our private Mansion which is a historical building that has been a landmark in our neighborhood for a century.

It would be delightful to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Istanbul.

Warm regards to Cape Town,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed in Room 105 at the House Hotel Bosphorus Saturday through Tuesday while traveling for work. I had never been to Istanbul, and to be honest when I had thought of Turkey I certainly never pictured any sort of water, so was very pleasantly surprised with my stay in Ortakoy.

My hotel room was one of the most beautiful rooms I had ever seen in my life, white with gorgeous decorative moldings on the wall, with a stunning view of the Bosphorus river and pier in Ortakoy. I felt as though I was inside a wedding cake and everything, from the modern chandelier to the rain-shower was decadent. The bed was soft and sheets were pristine and white.

The hotel's location is perfect! And, one of the fun parts about the hotel is that it has a SAG Harbor-type cafe/scene happening right downstairs at the House Cafe (attached to the hotel but under different owners, so don't try to bill anything to your room they WILL find you :) day and night with sexy drinks, Mediterranean food and open air seating with beautiful views of the Bosphorus and even more beautiful people. The appletinis are a joy to behold.

The hotel also has a lounge on the 1st floor that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and has an "infinity bar" (I call it that because your view goes from the top of the bar to the river seamlessly).

We booked through mrandmrssmith.com and scored a free airport transfer from the airport to the hotel via the hotel's houseboat and free dinner for 1 in the lounge btw.

The House Hotel is also next to a popular rooftop nightclub called Angelique that's great for a drink late afternoon and is open until 4AM most nights.

All great right? Well, yes, unless you're trying to go to sleep before 4AM. The hotel doesn't tell you that you can easily hear (and feel) the cafe and club's late night music which usually ends around midnight but can easily go to 4AM especially on weekends. So if you're a light sleeper, or have a family, you may want to reconsider which is why I rated the 'sleep quality' as poor (although the bed/sheets themselves are fantastic). But if you have earplugs, or are a night owl, this is a fantastic place to stay.

Regarding service, my repeated requests for a massage were never answered (apparently the house masseurs were 'on vacation' but they never followed through on their promise to look into alternate plans). Dry cleaning/laundry put into the hotel by 9AM is meant to come back same day by 6PM (except Sunday apparently, which they did not tell me so I did not get an outfit back in time for a Monday meeting I had). But otherwise the service was average to good. Great toiletries. Fresh towels every day.

Room Tip: Room 105 overlooks the House Cafe (there are awnings so you can't see down and no one can see yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ashleigh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus. This is a wonderful review as far as describing the hotel and its features.

I was traveling when you stayed with us so I did not have a chance to meet you in person. I hope your trip was a good one and you enjoyed Istanbul.

You described perfectly what our hotel is all about in terms of its unique location, rich history and beautiful design. Many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience elaborately.

I would like to address your point about the noise issue. Staying right on the Bosphorus is one of the most quintessential Istanbul experiences, especially if you are staying in Ortakoy which is an iconic spot with the Ortakoy Square, Mosque and the Bosphorus Bridge. This cluster of small cobble-stoned streets is well known with its stores, restaurants, cafes and bars all around. Ortakoy is one of those vibrant areas buzzing with locals and visitors and it is by no means quiet around here, especially in the Summer and on the weekends year-round. This is a fact many of our potential guests are already aware of or quickly pick up on (as apparent in previous Tripadvisor reviews) prior to their arrivals so most people know what to expect.

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the massage appointment and dry-cleaning, two areas I am immediately taking action about.

I hope your travels will bring you back to Istanbul again so we will have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel.

Warm regards to NY,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I spent my final 2 nights in Istanbul here and appreciated that the staff were very helpful in everything from helping me plan a walking tour of the city to arranging a massage for me afterward. Ortakoy is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the high-tourism in the city, and having a ferry stop right next to the hotel makes this an easy place to get back to after a day of sightseeing in Sultanahmet. Beautiful views of the Bosphorus Bridge, Asia, and even Topkapi Palace in the distance.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Mwhitmore8,

As I was traveling during your stay with us, I did not get the chance to meet you in person. I am very happy that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. My team is very much focused on tailoring our guests’ time based on their specific requests so it is a pleasure knowing you liked our custom-made tour and in-room massage.

I do agree with you that Ortakoy is a great choice in terms of being a little away from the main attraction sites yet it is still very much convenient with the pier right in front of our hotel so our guests take full advantage of using water transportation.

Should your travels bring you back to Istanbul, it would be a pleasure to welcome again to our hotel.

All the best,

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

A very typical and unique hotel. Amazing scenery, delicious food, great hospitality. A cozy fitness area is included and this hotel is in one of my favourite locations in Istanbul; Ortakoy. Walking distance to Dolmabahce Palace or the favourite tourist attraction clubs Reina and Anqelique which is just next door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear ynsznr,

Thank you for taking the time to write about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

The House Hotel Bosphorus

Been to The House Hotel Bosphorus? Share your experiences!