“Best Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 945 Hotels in Istanbul
derbyshire
“Best Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

If you are looking for a small hotel that is quiet but 5 minute walking distance to the main attractions then this is the place to book. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The breakfast and restaurant food is wonderful and the garden is a blessing in such an overcrowded city asis the free coffess, tea and cakes :-) I booked two rooms, one with balcony and a standard room. The one with the balcony was large and overlooking the garden is lovely, my father liked to sit and read his book waiting for me to turn up late for breakfast! We also were given one of the two larger standard rooms which was plenty big enough and although on the first floor was still extrememly quiet. The hotel also contacted us prior to departure with a personal email which is rare these days. A really lovely stay thank you to all the staff.

PS.They also have the best waiter in the world working there!

GENERAL ISTANBUL TRAVEL TIPS
If you are going to Istanbul there are two general things I would say: get your visa before going through passport control, there aren't any signs directing you to do so, we had the heads up so weren't among the numerous passengers that got turned back from pc. Also, when departing from Attaturk airport you will usually get dropped off at the beginning of the departures section. If you join security there you will find a huge queue whereas if you walk outside along to the other end of departures the queue is always at least 80% smaller!

Room Tip: We had room 202 which was a corner room larger than the other standard rooms I believe. However, I...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

stayed here for 4 nights in the end of May. Though it was expensive compares to some of the otehr similar options we had in the Sultanahmet area, it was worth coz they upgraded us to the Executive suite which was largish and also had an openable window. they did insist we pay for all 4 nights just as soon as we arrived ??? but besides this the rest of the stay was nice.

we travelled with our 18 month old daughter and Ayhan, the manager, went out of his way to be friendly with her. they served free evening wine and cheese in the garden restaurant on friday and saturday which was quite a nice touch. the buffet breakfast was good and had hot omelettes and fresh bread alongwith the rest of the cold buffet which is typical of turkish hotels.

the pickup and drop which was free, was also absolutely on time and the condition of the car very clean and nice. nothign to campare about, but it does have character and the staff are friendly. Would recommend staying here coz I guess we stayed in the best room category.

Room Tip: executive suite on the second floor is large with a window opening out on the road
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Avellino, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I would like to mention as first valuable characteristic of this hotel the great assistance and treatments that the managers and all the personnel reserve to their guests. My husband and I stayed in Istanbul two weeks ago and we were very happy with the choice of the hotel. I made my reservation on the basis of the information found on Tripadvisor and I was just right. The location is great (only at short walking distance from the Hyppodrome, Agya Sophia and the Topkapi Palace) and the area is quite and silent. The kindness of people was not only matter of professionalism (which is undoubted) but we have appreciated very much that people liked their work and consider the guest as people to care of. We will certainly recommend this hotel to people going to Istanbul for business as well as for vacations.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights at this hotel as a solo traveller. I got lucky and was given one of the nicer rooms (I understand from other reviews that there were others which didnt have a nice decor as depicted on their website)

However already after ONE night I got asked - I assumed because I was on my own - if I could move rooms. Obviously I refused, I paid for what I got and didnt want to downgrade if I could prevent it. Luckily they didnt insist

The price of this hotel is not cheap; however for pure orange juice at breakfast they will charge you EXTRA, which I think is completely out of line, and give you a tiny glass of juice. Cheap and kills the experience. Rest of breakfast was OK, nothing to write home about

Overall service was very poor. The sheets were not changed once during my stay (and I stayed 5 nights). Also, I ran out of the vanity kit (cotton and buds), this wasnt even replaced. Toiletries also pretty substandard in terms of quality. No body lotion

Reception: very poor english and very unhelpful. I once needed to change a 5 lira note into coins, the guy lied to me and told me that he didnt have any coins (I saw at a later event that this wasnt true). Also I asked for directions to a good, non touristy cafe, and he was completely unable - you'd think he know his city? ! I guess he couldnt be bothered/

Hotel manager also insisted from day one on letting me part with my money. The hotel obviously has some kind of arrangement with local guides, and was pushing in my face al kinds of tours (extremely expensive) which I made pretty clear that I wasnt interested in. Even when I was leaving he tried to get me to pay 10 lira for a cab ride...to a nearby tramway station (Aksaray) that it took me 5 minutes to reach by tram (cost: 1 lira)

Last but not least, my room was on a ground floor, so pretty dark, but above all EXTREMELY noisy. Guess double glazing didnt come into their minds when they did the refurbishment

Would NOT recommend

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The hotel has bundles of character and is in a great location, in the sultanahmet district, with easy access to all the main attractions including the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya etc.

The hotel staff were very warm and friendly. I'd happily recommend it.

Istanbul: I Loved it! The Sultanahmet area is very old and magical with wonderful mosques and towering minarets and the call to prayer every few hours was magical. The food was wonderful, very tasty and quite healthy in too.

The people were very friendly and would take the time to talk to you sharing all sorts of local insights making you feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I spent a week in Istanbul recently. The Rose Garden was the perfect place to begin and end each day. The hotel is tastefully appointed and offers a quiet, relaxing place to retreat from the tourist mania that characterizes this neighborhood of Istanbul in the high season. Rooms are more spacious and luxurious than those of other small hotels in Sultanahmet (the bathroooms are especially nice), and public spaces are pleasant and inviting. Wifi is available throughout. The hotel is conveniently close to many of the main tourist attractions, but is also located on a quiet street, away from traffic and noise. There are three buildings that share the same common space, and if I'm not mistaken, the "Rose Garden Suites" refer to the rooms in the most recently renovated building. We appreciated the beauty and privacy of our room very much.

Overall, service was very good. Ayhan was especially helpful, providing several excellent restaurant recommendations, making arrangements for our Bosphorus cruise, and offering great suggestions about places to explore in various neighborhoods of Istanbul. Food and drink service could be a bit more solicitous; servers are unlikely to offer you anything, although they're gracious enough if you ask for something. Breakfast is good, though not spectacular. The complimentary "wine and cheese" evenings on Fridays and Saturdays were a very nice touch. Lunch and dinner are also available, although we didn't take advantage of this perk.

In short, we were very satisfied. I'd definitely stay here again, if I were looking for a hotel in this neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
la jolla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The service and the accommodations at this hotel were incredible. The manager of the hotel, Ayhan and all of the employees made you feel as though you were the only person that they had to attend to. Every single detail was attended to by the Ayhan and the staff. The hotel was extremely clean, pretty and inviting. The balcony overlooked the rose garden and the fragrance permeated the entire area. The breakfast was phenomenal. For the adventurous people, they had all types of Turkish dishes, and for the not so adventurous, they even had cocoa puffs. Sadly, while I was there, my mom died back in the US, and they were so kind and willing to assist in any way possible to help me return. I felt like I was at home!! Incredibly warm, loving people there. I would return in a second and definitely stay there again!!! Cheri A.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rose Garden Suites Istanbul? Share your experiences!