“great apartment!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #243 of 850 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq
“great apartment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had an amazing time at Chef apartment, the aprtment was clean and quiet , it's just like in the pics, the location is great ! Near Istiklal streat and near to the tram station and metro station. The owners (Oskan and Serkan) were so helpful and kind with us, we used to talk to them every night to guid us about the good places to visit and how to go there and they were so friendly and we had so many laughs together! I apreciate my time that i spent there and i hope i can do it again some day!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

It was a nice experience staying at Chef aparts, Ozkan and Sarkan are too lovely people, never thought I would be treated like sultan but I did, great service, nice location, and lovely people, that's all what tourists want when they're not at home, they just need a place called home. Good job and keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2013
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

In contrast to the majority of the 5-star reviews here, I decided to give Chef Apartments only an average 3-star rating. I will explain the reasons of my decision later. However, it is also not difficult to see why many people like this place because I myself love it. Contradicting?

As far as the apartment is concerned, this is probably the second best apartment I have stayed in (the best being Odessa Wharf in London). It is very clean and looks very new. It has a separate bedroom, a comfortable lounge area and a fully functional and well-equipped kitchette. There are clean pots and pans, cutlery and even a set of knifes. It has a washing machine as well. The bathroom is big but without a bathtub. The internet connection is good. There are tons of TV channels to choose from, even Arirang (Korean)! Perhaps the only flaw I can see is that the air-condition is in the lounge. So when sleeping in the separate bedroom, one has to leave the door open. Otherwise it can get very stuffy.

I would have gladly give it a 5-star rating based on the apartment itself. So why didn't I? Firstly, the walls and windows are paper-thin. During the day, there are many kids loitering outside the apartment. As playful as they are, they will press the doorbell for fun, and sometimes if the front door is not locked, they will come in and play, running up and down the stairs and make lots of noise. At night, there will usually be a group of young men loitering outside the apartment talking and having fun till way pass midnight (probably that's the reason why the grocery shop opposite the apartment stays open till midnight!). However, I can still overlook these reasons because these are not the fault of Chef Apartments.

The main reason why I was disappointed is with the front desk, or the lack of it. Sure, I must admit that they are very friendly and very hospitable....IF they are around. But most of the time, they are not around. I noticed that during my first few days and I suspect I may have a problem during check-out if no one is around. So a couple of days before I check-out, I managed to get hold of them and purposely told them that I will check-out on Monday at 10am. So please be around for that. Come Monday, when it is time to check-out, guess what...nobody is around except for the chambermaid who doesn't know a word of English! I asked where is the manager, she used hand signals to tell me that he is still sleeping! Then when I asked for the invoice or receipt for my stay, she doesn't understand what I am talking about. I have no choice but to give up asking. In the end, I did not get a single invoice or receipt for my stay. This is the first time I have encountered that. I have to login to my credit card account to make sure that the correct amount has been deducted. Really disappointed with the management.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kas, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The bathroom was full of mould and the shower leaked. The kitchen equipment was so dirty we could not cook. The cleaning cloth for the kitchen was simply putrid. The apartment was dirty with dust etc under the beds, which looks as if it is never cleaned. The furniture was run down and in need of repair, so much so you could not open the wardrobe. There are no plugs for kitchen sink and bathroom sink. At reception you are greeted by smoking and dead plants. The male staff took no responsibility for the wrongs of the place, they said it was "the woman's fault", the poor woman was the cleaner. So just stay clear of this dump. June 2013.

Room Tip: No room is good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My group of friends (4 girls) stayed here for 4 nights and we had such an amazing time. The location is perfect as it is close to the Tophane tram stop as well as to Istiklal where there is nightlife, restaurants and shopping. The staff are so lovely and friendly and I'm very grateful for their service and kindness. They were always willing to have a chat and to help us out with our plans. Breakfast was served straight to our rooms and they were even kind enough to offer to change the menu for us, even though we enjoyed a 'Turkish' breakfast. We stayed in the penthouse room and yes, the room does not have windows but they do have three 'windows' on the slanted roof and we got great views once we climbed out onto the roof. It was very cosy and I didn't feel claustrophobic or that I was missing out in any way. The bathroom is spacious and very clean. The room was clean too with one double bed and two double sofa beds. The sofa beds were surprisingly very comfortable! Overall, our experience was memorable and I loved staying at Chef Apartments, especially because the staff made us feel very welcome. I would definitely stay here again! Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were a bunch of five guys travelling to Istanbul so traditional hotel accomodation was not an option. So we rented two apartments (the penthouse and an apartment in the 3rd floor) at Chef Apartments and were very pleased. Particularly the hotel manager was very helpful organising taxis for us and recommending places of interest etc.

The apartments are well equiped and spacious compared with ordinary hotel rooms. They may not be as large as they say on webpage but I would call it "Mediterranean marketing"... I am 1.82m tall but I had no major troubles with roof slopes in the penthouse. And the fact that windows are in the roof reduces traffic noise coming outside (instead in the third floor you can hear every word they say on the street).

Room Tip: The penthouse has windows in the roof so it is quieter than other apartments.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brunswick, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the apartment was clean and warm we were very disappointed overall. This was our last hotel before leaving Turkey, after a month of travelling. We choose the penthouse because of the size, 90 sq m and look on the internet. We thought we would 'spoil' ourselves, 2 adults and two children, 3 & 5, in our last couple of days. We estimate that the true usable space of the room was about 50 sqm. Why? because the roof slopes and unless you are under 1.3 m (4') tall then you need to duck to stop hitting your head in a number of spots, including around the main bed. I have loaded a couple of photos showing me standing . I am 1.79m. Also little things like, there was a bedside lamp, without a globe and no where to plug it in, the toilet seat was broken i.e shifted under you when you sat on it. We reported both of these but they were not fixed during our stay, which was 4 days. The website said the room would be serviced every three days. This did not happen. We asked for non smoking. While they had sprayed the room to get rid of the smoke smell most of the workers, including the managers smoked, and the smell of smoked wafted up the stairwell into the apartment. The only 'windows' are in the roof. So no views.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mousasow, Manager at Chef Apartments, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
The customer has been compansated 1 of their 4 day stay. No idea how the customer has smelt the smell of a cigarette 4 floors up after 2 doors. The pictures are clearly shows the apartment on the rooftop and the roof slopes. The room has been cleaned after 2 days of their stay instead of 3 days as their time with us was four days. All the towels and bedsheets has been changed. The apartment advertised 90 sq metres it doesnt say 90 SQ of usage and 50 sq metres usage clearly over exaggerated . The toilet seat was fine when the customer has arrived. The customer has been COMPANSATED and said happy with his room at the time. We feel taking pictures of yourself standing in the corner of the apartment is quite unjustice specially after all the effort has being made to make sure that you have had a good time with us.

Been to Chef Apartments? Share your experiences!