“Good Guide-Bad Company” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 380 activities in Istanbul
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Turkey Tours by Local Guides is a company run by licensed tour guides providing private Istanbul tours, shore excursions, day trips to Ephesus, Cappadocia, Bursa, Iznik, Edirne, and many more places in Turkey.
New Westminster, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“Good Guide-Bad Company”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked a private day tour with this company and a private day trip to Cappadocia on a separate day.

Private Day Tour: We were disappointed in the lack of planning and email support leading up to our day tour (communication significantly dropped off the moment we made our deposit via paypal -subsequent communication was like pulling teeth). No itinerary was ever made. Thankfully, I had done some research on things we wanted to see and the guide who showed up was able to quickly put together a plan for our day. He spoke perfect English and was very friendly and knowledgeable. Overall this day was great, but for the price I expected more planning and customer service leading up to the tour. I don't know where to place blame for the lack of planning but it was apparent.

Private Day Trip to Cappadocia (including a short flight): Let me start by saying that despite paying in full, we ultimately decided to cancel our private day trip due to poor planning and communication between us and this company. I accepted partial responsibility for our decision to cancel the trip (I regret not being more assertive during the planning process). I did not request a refund; what I did ask was that he reflect on his poor communication and planning of this trip, and his response was, I quote “Get over it.” Not the best customer service. Though this may be a unique circumstances it is a testament to how they handle complaints from customers which should be a red flag.

Improvements that should be considered before I would recommend:

1) For private day trips & day tours, get to know customer and from there build and supply an itinerary before the day of the tour.

2) Provide customer with a list of items that are required for the day (i.e. passport, mosque clothing, swim wear etc.), meeting locations and times, names of guides and their contact info.

3) If the person answering emails is not the guide, provide all communication with customer to the guide prior to excursion.

4) For any flight, confirm flight times and options before booking flight on customer’s behalf. (an approximate time was supplied, but never confirmed before booking took place).

5) Communication (planning and customer service) is the common theme here and definitely needs improvement.

Experience:
Day Tour: Average - 3/5
Cancelled Day Trip: Terrible - 1/5
Overall Experience: Poor - 2/5

Visited July 2013
Ozkantheguide, Owner at Turkey Tours by Local Guides, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I want to thank AJM4 for her opinions about our services. I don't even know where to start... We agreed on an itinerary about the Cappadocia trip about a month prior to their trip and booked their flights and everything was OK till July 8th and when I sent them the e-tickets , she asked if it is possible to get a later flight and I said no and she accepted it. SHE DID NOT REQUEST TO CHANGE THE FLIGHT SCHEDULE. If she did, I would do it with some extra cost as I told them the flight schedule earlier but it did not happen and she was silent till the night before the trip and around midnight they cancelled the trip and started to blame me for not being helpful enough. Pay attention here: The attitude changed a few hours before the trip to Cappadocia. I don't know what happened exactly but I do not accept any of the allegations they made. there are 130 reviews here and as you can see, we value our clients and customize the tours to their needs. But I also know that it is not possible to please everybody.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 attraction reviews
“"Travel Shop Turkey ".....just great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We travelled to Turkey in June 2013, and used Travel Shop Turkey for our customized trip. We went to Istanbul, Cappadocia , kusadasi and pammakule.
On arrival we were given a phone and would receive a call everyday to remind us on our itinerary and also to check if we are comfortable wherever we were and that we are having a good,fun time.
The guides were very very informative , young and fun.
They would pick us up on time and were flexible and were ok if we wanted to omit or add things. We had a free day in each place and the tour operators were very helpful in helping us decide how to spend it as we pleased.
We had a most AMAZING holiday .Each place was so different from the other and breathtakingly beautiful .
Many many thanks to everyone at Travel Shop Turkey ,Murat,Heidi, Orhan ,izmit(guide in cappadocia) ,Burhan, Murtaza Kalendar (I'm sorry if I've missed out on a few names) for making it a memorable trip.
I would highly recommend Travel Shop Turkey to everyone. Especially if you are traveling for the first time to this amazing country.

Visited June 2013
Finley
“Cosmos Turkey Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

After meeting our guide at the Gland Halic Hotel in Istanbul we set of for a wonderful 13 day tour of Turkey. Our first stop was in Canakkale but on the way we visited Gallipoli,Anzac Cove,Lone Pine and the Turkish memorial and boy was it a moving site.
On to Kusadasi - Denizill Area - Konya - Cappadocia Region to where the Fairy Chimneys and the beautiful landscape - on to Ankara the Capital - Bursa and back to Istanbul
The Coach driver and Tour guide IKULT GUN made our memories of Turkey everlasting as they friendliness knowledge just made the visit just great - COSMOS have 2 great ambassadors for there company so highly cue commended

Visited July 2013
Brewster, New York
“Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We used this company for a private tour! They were wonderful! they gave us a beautiful tour of the whole city.
They picked us up on time from the ship and brought us back in plenty of time before the sailing! The price was more then reasonable, and I would use them agin!

arzuk@neontours.com

www.neontours.com

Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“A requirement for Turkey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We very much enjoyed our time with Abdil (Istanbul guide) and Mehmett (Cappadocia guide). We encountered a tricky situation on the Bosphorus cruise and Abdil was quick to take charge so that we did not spend the entire day on the boat. The guides were very flexible and were fine with my group removing or adding things to the itinerary on the fly. I can not say enough positive things about Mehmett. He is incredibly thoughtful and fun. He made us laugh a lot but also was incredibly thoughtful for a friend's birthday. He made sure that we enjoyed ourselves and that everything went smoothly. We loved the hotel in Cappadocia. i think the name was Mira Cave. We had a couple of administrative issues come up but they were minor hiccups in the big picture. It takes special people to handle four women with varying tastes in Turkey and Turkey Tours by Local Guides did just that. I would definitely recommend visiting Turkey and using these guides while you are there.

Visited May 2013