“Good by Istanbul Standard” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A DELİGHTFUL TOUCH OF AEGEAN COAST AND UNİQUE ANATOLİAN TASTES
Vancouver, Canada
“Good by Istanbul Standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had read about all the positive comments on food in Turkey before my trip to Istanbul and Turkish people are very proud of their cuisine. I had been so looking forward to having good eats on my holiday.

After streaks of disappointment, we decided to spend good money in the hope to have a good meal. We looked up tripadvisor and found this restaurant. I was right about spending good money, but not quite sure if we had a good meal. The starters were the stars. My husband had a baked mushroom dish and I had deep fried crab meat balls. Both were freshly cooked and tasty. I however don’t know how to comment on my main course. I had this grilled octopus. The taste was just fine. But it did not have the usual chewy or gummy texture that you would expect from octopus. Instead it was very soft. It was not solid but you could peel it off stripe by stripe which made me think of imitation craft meats commonly used in Japanese noodles. I asked the waiter why the texture was so funny that it was not chewy at all. He explained that it was because they used soda to marinate the octopus to make it tender.

I have heard that soda can tenderize beef but it was the first I heard that it worked on seafood. I wished that I had ordered the grilled fish.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Lytham St Annes, England, United Kingdom
“Outstanding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were attracted to this restaurant initially as we were not hassled by the staff as we studied the menu.We arrived and were seated in front of a roaring open fire.The staff were very attentive and most helpful.The food we received was of a very high standard and was presented exactly how we asked for it.There were a number of little extras that added to the overall experience.We found it to be good value for money we have had a property in Turkey for 7 years and this was the best restaurant meal we have had we will certainly revisit and recommend to our friends.

• Visited January 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good food, good service and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We ate in Kayikci twice in the 5 days we were in Istanbul just before christmas, and called in for coffee or a drink every day. Even when we weren't having a meal, we were made very welcome. The restaurant was very clean and nicely decorated and the food was very good, with a wide choice on the menu. They didn't have bottled efes, but when we told Selim we didn't like draught, someone was sent to the market to get some bottles. Nothing was too much trouble for them. It's hidden away down a side street near the Sultanahmet tram stop, but worth looking for. We sat outside one evening with a drink and they turned the heaters on and brought us cosy blankets to keep us warm. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Delightful surprise in Istanbul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Fantastic restaurant discovered on day 2 of Istanbul experience with two hungry teens.
The menu appealed as did warm reception by staff. No sooner were we seated than "Big Bread" arrived. All meals were exceptional including my vegetarian option and Chocolate Souffle desert.
When teens asked we go back on our final night in Istanbul we returned for another delicious meal.

• Visited January 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Exceptional find in Sultanahmet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you've been to this neighborhood, you know what it is like to walk past the numerous restaurants on this street. If not, it is not the most pleasant experience you'll have in Istanbul as you are literally heckled to come into each place. It was exactly that lack of harassment that prompted my friend and I to stop here. Walking past, we were allowed to view the menu with only a smile from members of what turned out to be a charming staff. We stayed, we ordered, we ate and thoroughly enjoyed the food; it was such a delightful experience we returned the next night! The staff remembered us and made us feel welcome like family. When in Istanbul, I know I will definitely return to Kayikci for the food and the wonderful service. Thank you, in particular, to Serdal!

• Visited October 2012