“Ceramics Shopping” 5 of 5 stars

Arasta Bazaar no125, Istanbul 34400, Turkey
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 406 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the small shops of the Arasta Bazaar. There is ceramics and quartz stuf. All staf made by turkısh artists and traditional technique.
Brighton, UK
4 attraction reviews
“Ceramics Shopping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

This is the best shop in Arasta Bazaar for Ceramics. There is a lovely selection of tiles. The owner Mr Gunes is a genuinely nice person and will take the time to explain the different tiles to you. Prices are good. Stay for a glass of cherry tea which is delicious and have a chat with Mr Gunes - he is informative and interesting as well we funny. Earlier in the day we had a bad experience in a carpet shop and Mr Gunes really restored our faith in shopping in the Bazaar.
A great place for tiles and dishes. Hassle free. We would highly recommend this shop.

Visited April 2011

Guelph, Canada
“We went in for five minutes, stayed happily for an hour and a half.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Having already contributed mightily to the Turkish economy, we dropped into this lovely little shop in Arasta Bazaar looking for one item we had seen on an earlier visit, but also to see again the friendliest of shopkeepers, Gunduz Alp Gunes, very informative and helpful two days earlier. We stayed much longer, enjoyed generous and sincere hospitality and attention, and found several items amongst an array of very good quality ceramics, quartz, and quite stylish pieces that we felt we should have. If Gunduz is working, you will not regret your visit, particularly if any of the items I've listed above are on your list. Thank you again, Gunduz, and let us know when you are coming to Canada. Brad and Rose.

Visited April 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“Stop by and stay a while because "Life is Good"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We went not once but twice to visit Ata Kutahya Ceramics at the Arasta Bazaar #125 in the Sultanahmet. While the ceramics are certainly fine, what we most enjoyed was time spent with Gunduz the shopkeeper. No pressure, good apple tea, and lots of conversation about the making of ceramics, the meaning of motifs, and the goodness of life (his favorite quote is "life is good").

Visited March 2011
Doha, Qatar
“love the shop and Gunduz..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I've been on this shop to accompany my friends for their last minute souvenir/giveaways shopping. I was not planning to buy anything since i already done with my keepsakes shopping, but i ended up buying several items (and much more if i'm not worrying about my baggage & domestic flight to Izmir).
ATA Kutahya has the finest ceramics as well as cute mementos. Can't get my hands off on most items .And guaranteed best prices you can't find in other gift shops. I like the friendly attitude of Gunduz, the owner, so accomodating that you will not feel intimidated to bargain more.
My suggestion is skip the Grand bazaar and go to Arasta bazaar instead where you can find ATA Kutahya.

Visited February 2011
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“ATA Kutahya is THE BEST shop in Istanbul with THE EBST shop owner too!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I cannot say enough wonderful things about lovely shop, ATA Kutahya. I was so lucky when I visited beautiful Istanbul that my hotel was near the Aresta Bazaar where ATA Kutahya is located. The owner, Gunduz Alp, was so professional, helpful and so kind. He was not pushy at all and taught me a lot about the culture and the art of Istanbul which I really enjoyed. I spent several hours at the Grand Bazaar and in other shops too in the city; but I liked the ceramics and items in ATA Kutahya the very best andwithout a doubt he has the best prices in town!!! I bought some beautiful pieces and learned about the art on them as well. What I especially liked about the shop is the atmosphere...Gunduz was so helpful and so nice and so much fun. He treats his customers so well. I think he and his shop are truly a gem and you will be missing out if you do not stop by there. Also it is not hectic and crazy like the Grand Bazaar. I have traveled a lot the last 15 years and I think ATA Kutahya is among the very, very best shops anywhere I have been in any country. Don't pass it up when you visiting Istanbul. You will be so glad you made the visit. It is AWESOME!!!!!

Visited May 2010