“My stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #515 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Tehran
“My stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have just come back from Crowne Plaza, Istanbul. We landed at 3 a.m. this morning. We stayed at Crowne Plaza for 7 nights and had a great time there.
The best thing about the hotel is its general location. It's just 5 minutes walk from the main street from where you can find lots of good shops/brands and if you continue window shopoing , you'll get fo Cevahir Mall which is a huge, fancy mall full of different brands. It's also very close to the subway station and bus stop. You can also take a taxi , but it'll be a bit expensive in that city. I didn't know that the hotel had a shuttle. We just found the hotel shuttles the final day which was a pity. I don't know what routes the shuttles took the hotel residents. I hope that the person in charge explains it here.
The breakfast had a nice variety. Everything was good and delicious.
Just the cleanness of bathrooms and the changing of sheets need some more attention.
I'll recommend this hotel to other passengers and will stay there on our next trip.
Thanks for eveything

Room Tip: The inner rooms don't have a view at all. Try to have a room with the street view where you can...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We thank you very much for your comments. We are sorry that you were acknowledged about our complimentary shuttle service on last day of your visit. Please be advised that the information on route and schedule of the shuttle service are available at Reception Desk, Lobby and the elevators. Your suggestion on the cleaning service will be taken into attention. We are delighted that you will be recommending our hotel and will be looking forward to welcome you in our hotel once more.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location of the hotel is a little odd, not in the central business district but in a place where the roads are narrow and the traffic a little indisciplined. From the outsid e you may not feel it to be a decent locality. But all these concepts changes once you enter the property. The reception is a little place for chaos and if you can find your way out of the reception you are in good hands.
The rooms are big, toilets well decorated with everything in place and changed regularly, clean, tidy and nice.The bed is comfortable but the outside view is not great if you are in the inner rooms.
The breakfast is so-so with 10 types of cheese and 10 types of salads but there isn't any variety. The coffee is just bad.
I wish the receptionists and room service to be a little more fluent and conversant in English, so that life becomes easier.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear valued guest,
We would like to thank you for your kind comments.
We would like to kindly inform you that 108 different type of food are being served in our breakfast buffet. Your comment on the coffe has been taken into consideration.
We would be pleased to welcome you in our hotel once again to provide you with improved service quality.
Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was on a business trip and the hotel was chosen for me. On his worst position it was already been stated by others so i will not add to that But they cover this by free shuttles to several points & the service of the employees is outstanding, always kind and full of a desire to help.
And something annoying ... hot water is just a trickle rather than a stream

Room Tip: Better to land at the Sabiha Gökçen airport, take the HAVAS Shuttle to Taxim center (12 TL) and fro...
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
We would be delighted to welcome you in our hotel once again to provide you with even improved service quality and Turkish hospitality
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel couple of times, so the review combines experience from all these stays.
I choose to stay there only because of loyalty program, otherwise would look for other options.

1. Location - it's located on a descending road, quite steep on some sections, along the road there are mainly local businesses and car garages.
The positive aspect is that it is relatively close to Osmanbey metro station, however to walk there you need to go uphill and share the road with cars as there is no pedestrian walk throughout most of the street. Going back requires less effort, but still need to look for the cars.
Local people familiar with the area mentioned about the neighborhood as "strange".

2. Service - overall very poor, my impression was that only about 1/3 of guest caring employees speak decent English. However they just do their job, don't expect anything above this. On one stay circuit breaker went off - after light bulb burned down, but it took 40 minutes to switch the breaker back. OK, they have offered another room after calling them 3 times and waiting for over 20 minutes in the dark, but move out with flashlight is not good option.

Another time, there were dirty towels in the bathroom (in bathtub) and bins full of trash after previous guests. They were not cleaned nor removed in spite of my intervention at reception.

On other occasion, they charge me some extra money after check-out, when I tried to figure out what it was (I did not use anything extra like minibar, nor laundry, nor movies) they said they cannot provide me this information - I had to settle the refund with credit card company directly.

Also, at the time when I was there, they refused to borrow an umbrella during heavy rain.

So overall quite poor experience.

3. Rooms are decent with acceptable decor throughout, but often are not well maintained or kept clean. They will often give you "an upgrade" but this is only due to the fact, that occupancy is low due to the facts mentioned, I think soon IHG will close that location.

4. I did not use restaurant but lounge service rather and it was of decent quality, although small. Similar to other lounges.

I think it might be still decent option for adventurous tourists to use it as a base for day trips in Istanbul if you consider underground (metro).

Room Tip: Check the room upon arrival if everything is in perfect order, if not demand other room. Avoid corn...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,
We thank you very much for your comments.
It is an advange for us and for all our guests to be in a location which is 1 km distance from the city center; Taksim. We also provide a complimentary shuttle service to the city center for our guests’ comfort.
We realized that we could not meet your expectations on several issues. Please note that the staff have been given the necessary training.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Travelled in 3rd week of January. Property is good, rooms are fabulous. Scores poor on food and location. Not a beautiful location. Food options were limited and so was TV channel options. would not recommend to my friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,
We would like to thank you for your positive comments. It is an advange for us and for all our guests to be in a location which is 1 km distance from the city center; Taksim. Our Mediterranean Cuisine and International Cuisine restaurants has plenty of options and alternatives to offer to our guests. Therefore we could not possibly understand that you thought the options are limited. Please be advised that Cable TV is available in our hotel which contains of 54 channels.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stay at Crowne Plaza during my busness trip to Istanbul and expect at least standard
comfort.Upon arrival I was greeted by hotel staff and upgraded to higher room category.
Room looks very nice and was equipped with taste,bathroom spacious and with great sellection
of amenities inside.
It was very quiet and sleeping comfort was guaranteed.
From this point i have no objection but there was some issues which disappointed me very much.
There was no electricity adaptor in the room and when asked the front desk,they say "we dont have it".Strange.
When I check out I wanted to add miles for the stay to my FF Jet Airways,they say " we can't add
because the system refuses".Very strange.
At last,the final problem.I order the hotel taxi on my way to the airport and instead of standard
25km and 25 min he change the route and arrive after 80 min which affects very much on the bill.
Very bad.
Hotel need to think about all above comments,as all this will keep me away in the future.

Dear valued guest,
We thank you very much for your comments.
We would like to inform you that Priority Club Rewards points are being installed to your membership account automatically. You earn mile points if you have chosen the option to earn mile points in advance. We are not capable of changing it.
Regarding to unavailability of adapters, please be advised that we of course would not like to say no to our guests. We think that the shortcoming might be caused by intensive requests from our guests. Also some of our guests would like to keep the adapters for themselves instead of returning them. In that case, we acquire new ones to supply our guests.
We have spoken with the taxi drivers in regards to your comment. It is really important to know if at what time you have got on the taxi. Drivers might use different routes depending the rush hour. We would be able to investigate the issue if you provide us with details such as the time and the route.
Gloucester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have to admit, I selected this hotel as their website claimed that it had an extensive gym, and as I was staying on business and likely to be on my own, that was what I wanted. And to be fair, the gym facilities are very good - large and well equipped with most things that you could need. And the pool area looks very nice too.
But about the hotel. After nearly 1 1/2 hours in the taxi from the airport, I assumed that the taxi driver was taking some kind of shortcut as we drive down this back road with lots of tyre shops, and the road was looking generally run down. And then the hotel appeared. It truely is a weird place to locate such a hotel, so expect to take a taxi if ever you need to go anywhere. As for the hotel itself, it looks modern, nicely designed. My room was large and had some nice touches like a very large, floor to ceiling window giving views of what there was to see (not much) and electric blinds. The bathroom, however, is bordering on tiny, and has a shower only - no bath. OK, so the shower is a good size and has one of those large heads that cascades from directly above you. But don't expect two of you to be able to be in the bathroom at the same time.
The bed was very comfortable, but if you are a light sleeper, you may struggle. There is a lot of noise from outside, from traffic, construction and the call to prayer. It disturbed me and I sleep like the dead, so you can expect to be affected.
Breakfast was just an unusual experience. I booked without breakfast included in the rate. I went to the restaurant for breakfast, and was told that as I was on the club floor I could use the lounge for free breakfast. So when I finally found it (13th floor, not on club levels) I was let in, only to be told 2 minutes later that I could not use the lounge. I wasn't disappointed - the food selection there was very poor, and the room, whilst reasonably nicely decorated, was stiflingly hot - at 9.00 in the morning in March. People must die in there in the summer from heat exhaustion. Anyway, so I went back downstairs to breakfast, which was a complete bun-fight. It was like a service station cafe rather than a restaurant in a good hotel. Pushing and shoving, my table was commendeered by some other people the moment I got up to get some more juice. The food selection was not great either, not what you would expect from an international chain.
I'm giving the hotel 3 as it does give me what I wanted - a really good gym, a good room (with free internet), and the hotel looks nice. But the location is bad, the service and food poor. If I were coming on holiday to Istanbul then I am sure I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as possible, but they are still all affected by noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Keef74,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye? Share your experiences!