“Best of the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Basileus Hotel

Save Saved
You added Basileus Hotel to your Saves list
Basileus Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kadirga Liman Cad. Sehit Mehmet Pasa Sok. No:1 | Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #16 of 928 Hotels in Istanbul
Washington DC
“Best of the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A little treasure. Well located. Clean. Nice beds - great pillows. A terrific breakfast with an omelet. And you could not find nicer folk running the front desk. Cheery and willing to help in every way with luggage, sightseeing arrangements, airport transfers, taxis, spot-on recommendations for restaurants and nearby sites that you would probably miss if they didn't suggest them. Genuinely interested in helping in every way to make your visit to Istanbul a pleasure. Free airport transfers if you stay at least 3 nights. I could not be more impressed. Only thing that might be a problem for some is that there is no elevator.

Room Tip: No elevator so if stairs are an issue for you, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

As stated in other reviews this hotel is in a great position to visit all the sites. If needed tram and trains not far, all within walking distance. The hotel itself can't be faulted, accommodation, food and information all top class. The management cannot do enough for you. If you need a good small hotel in Istanbul which near to the sites, you can't go wrong here. Thanks to the Basileus Hotel Team.

Room Tip: We booked a superior room which was great.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Basileus in May. The hotel was clean, located conveniently and very comfortable. The staff could not have been more accomodating. They went out of their way to recommend attractions and restaurants, and were extremely pleasant. Considering the price, this hotel is an excellent value. Highest rating!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I visited Turkey for 10 days and stayed our last two nights at Basileus after having read such fabulous reviews of their service. I'd like to confirm the truth of all the good reviews here: the staff at Basileus, Mr. Yusuf, Ekrem and Nurullah were simply exceptional in their hospitality! You would never see them for a moment except that they are assisting their guests in planning day trips, suggesting the best places to eat and visit, the best ways to get around. Mr. Yusuf was so kind he actually gave us his Istanbul Card (transport card) that we could refill and use so we wouldn't have to go around looking for and purchasing a new one.
The restaurants and transport routes he suggested were definitely the best, our room was nice and spacious on the 2nd floor - very clean and homely.
Breakfast also was very fresh and had more than enough to choose from: cold meats, cheese, cheese rolls, sausages, fresh breads, omlettes on order, jams and preserves, fruits, cereals, etc.
The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the tram line, the staff will give you a map with exact directions on how to get to wherever you want to go to in Istanbul! In fact, it wason consulting Mr. Yusuf that I got to know of the tour agency that I eventually booked which had much cheaper rates for the same services that other expensive tour operators were offering.

Thank you so much Mr. Yusuf, Ekrem and Nurullah for hosting us and making us feel so welcomed and comfortable. We really hope to be back again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Small is beautiful..although a cliche, i cant think of a better instance where this fits.

We stayed at a smaller hotel in Istanbul and came to know that our next hotel, Basileus was literally next door. The location is around 5-10 minute walk (more of a climb) from the Hippodrome area next to Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.

We walked in a day earlier to have a look and were impressed with Youssef, the receptionist/manager, who was super helpful and offered to pick our luggage the next day.

Upon checkin the next day, we met Ekrem who was again very patient and helpful as he helped plan our upcoming trip to Cappadocia and further on. He also connected us to a travel consultant and got us a very competitive rate. He also helped us in arranging a shuttle ride to the airport.

The last day, we were checking out and the night manager (I forgot his name), not only help us with the luggage but also took the extra effort to prepare a super early breakfast for us at 3 AM !

Basileus is a quaint and tastefully done property and the only thing i wish they had was an elevator which unfortunately isnt possible due to the protective rules governing construction in Old Istanbul (Cant agree more).

The breakfast was wholesome as well as well stocked and the rest of the staff (including Nuri) was amazing.

Overall we are super impressed with Basileus and would highly reccomend it !

Room Tip: If you have young children (we have a 1 year old) then go for a room in the lower floors as there is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you don't want to spend a mint on a high end flag hotel when you're in Istanbul, Basileus is the place for you. I won't belabor the good points already well made by other posters, just echo that the hotel is very well located in terms of being able to walk to areas you will want to visit as a tourist (especially a first-timer) in Istanbul. My room was good (though a little noisy as it was adjacent to the reception area) and I'll assume the other rooms were equally well appointed. The morning breakfast provided lot's of tasty options to power you for a day in a hustling and bustling city like Istanbul.

The major difference for Basileus and I suspect the reason it get's all these glowing reviews is that the hotel is well-run and just has a very friendly and receptive service culture. The staff rotates every several hours but each and every person working will be knowledgeable and very caring about the quality of your stay. I was struck by many suggestions I received from the staff as you will be, because it was clear - whether receiving suggestions for restaurants, rug sellers, sites to visit, or how to deal with local peddlers, etc - that the staff was on my side and really wanted me to have a terrific stay/experience. I think it goes ever further. The Basileus folks are all very intelligent people who seem to love their city and just want their guests to experience it in the best possible way. I came away with the understanding that Istanbul is in the top handful of the world's great cities, and the Basileus staff contributed a great deal to this understanding.

No matter what city you are visiting, it would be hard to find another hotel that could provide all this at such reasonable prices. Basileus is a tremendous value for travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My flight was fairly badly delayed, and I arrived late, at around 1.30am rather than 9.30pm as advertised... The staff were waiting for me, greeted me warmly, offered me refreshments if I wanted them or a fast track to bed if I didn't. I took the second option.
On waking up I went down for an excellent breakfast, which was just as good the next day.
My room was spacious, clean, and well appointed, with a couple of arm chairs and a foot stool as well as a very comfortable bed. AC was great. The only semi-negative I can think of is that the hotel backs onto a noisy bar, but closing the window cut that out completely.
Can't recommend it highly enough.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Basileus Hotel? Share your experiences!