“Best Hostel ....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheers Hostel

You added Cheers Hostel to your Saves list
Cheers Hostel
Alemdar Mah. Zeynep Sultan Cami Sok. No:21 Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul 34400, Turkey   |
Ranked #10 of 850 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Windsor, Canada
“Best Hostel ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cheers Hostel for a week in the Fall and absolutely LOVED IT. Originally we were booked at a different Hotel but because of a mix up we had to find lodging for a night (we ended up cancelling our reservation with the Hotel) so we stumbled upon some tourists who recommended Cheers Hostel to us. It was late so we decided to give it a try and we were SO GLAD WE DID. This Hostel was great, the room we stayed in was very clean and the beds were probably the most comfortable beds I've slept in other than our own. Onur and his staff were friendly, respectful and very helpful, they gave us great advice on what to do and where to eat. The location was fantastic and the delicious free breakfast a bonus. They truly made our experience a very memorable one. I would recommend this hostel to my friends, family and you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Stayed here with my Fiance. Location is awesome. The view of the rooftop bar is out of a postcard. All staff friendly, helpful and a good laugh.

Was a little concerned after reading other reviews, but had absolutely no problems.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My favorite hostel I have ever stayed in. Cheers made the already incredible city of istanbul that much more special for me. From the moment I arrived (my first time) I was met by the extremely nice, helpful, and fun staff as if i was a long time friend they had been expecting. I was with three friends of mine, all 21 year old girls, and we stayed in a 8 bed dorm with a shared bathroom. the room was very nice with clean sheets, comfortable beds, storage space with the ability to lock your things as well as clean and well decorated. the shared bathroom was always clean, and they were planned out well enough that they were never too busy. never felt unsafe or uneasy at any point while staying at the hostel.

my FAVORITE part of the hostel itself is the terrace. the hostel is in the most ideal spot for sightseeing, located so close to everything, yet it has such a off-the-beaten-path feel. this was extremely apparent when i would spend time in the terrace bar. you are surrounded by almost 360 degree views of istanbul, with the hagia sophia so close you could hit it with a rock. there were so many special moments with the friends i came with as well as people we met and the staff in the terrace that i frequently catch myself dreaming about being back there.

The staff at this hostel are absolutely fantastic. I have never been so showered in hospitality in my life for no particular reason other than the fact that the staff genuinely cares about the people staying there. my relationship with the staff, and mainly the owner/managers Onur and Yavuz, started from asking simple questions as to how to get around and where to eat and ended with a friendship that will last for ages. they took me and my friends under their wing and showed us a side of istanbul that i could have never imagined. i could list all the things the staff did for me during my stay that they went so far out of their way to accomplish, but i have limited space and could not possibly fit them all. I will just say by the end of my trip, I felt as if these people were my close family and I was staying at their house for the weekend.

I enjoyed my first trip to cheers so much that those 5 days were not enough, and i quickly booked another week stay at cheers for the following month. this time, i was travelling with my girlfriend at the time, and one quick call to the hostel and they immediately accommodated us with a private queen bed room in the adjacent building they had just opened up. the new building was very nice, we had a private bathroom and once again the room was decorated beautifully, with reception a 5 second walk down the stairs and across the rarely busy street. once again, my stay was blanketed with friendliness and hospitality. For example, i brought up the fact that i was in need of a haircut in a random conversation, and 5 minutes and a phone call later the owner of the hostel had taken me to his private barber where i was treated like a sultan.

Although I am young, I have been an avid traveller for most of my adolescent and adult life and what I found at cheers was what I had been subliminally searching for the entire time. I came to istanbul with some expectations, but what I found blew all of them away, and I have cheers, and more specifically the owner and staff, to thank for a majority of it. I couldn't imagine going back to istanbul and not staying at cheers, and I truly am constantly trying to find ways to get back as soon as possible just to enjoy an Efes with my good friends at cheers in the beautiful terrace bar. I have told mostly everyone I know to visit Istanbul, and if interested, I tell them they must stay at cheers. I recommend this hostel solely for the reason that I hope anyone that gets the chance to visit this beautiful city can have as incredible of a time as I did, twice. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

As the song from Cheers tv show suggests - a friendly place to hang out. The guys were attentive and provided good travel & tour information. Yes, they were very flirtatious, but I didn't find aggressive as one review suggested. In case you haven't been to Turkey before - the men are very flirtatious, it is part of their hospitality to make you comfortable and help business (and more if you're interested). We stayed in the penthouse in the building with private rooms - it was a nice, spacious, newly renovated room with a great view from the balcony - the only downfall was it didn't have a closet or any drawers to put any of your stuff.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I was stayin' in a female dorm. The room was clean and the bed was very comfy.. There was a locker in the room, so it felt safe.
Really loved a location - just 3 mins from the city center, but on the quiet street.
The staff was great, very friendly and fun. Haven't had any inconveniences for being female solo traveler.
There is also a nice terrace to hang out and get a drink in the evening.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

Relaxed and personal atmosphere at Cheers.Great place, nice staff, awesome facilities and always great atmosphere. This one has a nice location. Only 1 minute walk from the he most famous sights.
The beds are solid and comfortable. Rooms and bathrooms are kept very clean all the time (never seen a hostel that clean before). Staff are helpful and friendly. The top terrace has a fantastic view of Hagia Sofia. If you're visiting Istanbul, Cheers hostel is definitely the perfect place to stay!

Strongly recommended :0)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed in a private room in an adjacent building. On the second night thieves came in through our window (which we left ajar after being reassured by the staff) and stole everything.

The following morning we awoke, realized what happened and asked repeatedly for the staff to call the police. They refused! Rather they called the owner of the Hostel and put us on the line with him. He was very sympathetic and friendly but reiterated that we should not call the police.

FYI - If you ever lose or have your passport stolen in Istanbul, you MUST notify the local police asap. It may not be a pleasant experience and they probably won't speak English.But you MUST.

Later we asked the owner about his insurance policy and after some confusion he admitted that they have no insurance and could do nothing about our missing items.

We moved to another room that night but it was infested with mold and water damage.

We finally decided that Cheers Hostel is not a worthy establishment (at least for private rooms) and moved on.

Cheers does not accept credit cards and because our cash was stolen we could not pay them. The owner was good about this and said he understood.

The staff are all friendly, especially Fathi who always makes himself available. But they are all young men who should not be trusted with the responsibility of your well being.

Also they recommended a laundromat close to them. The lady there did not return all our clothes. We needed the help of a local to get them back.

There are plenty of places to stay in Sultanahmet don't stop your search at Cheers Hostel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cheers Hostel? Share your experiences!