“It was good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moonstar Hostel

Moonstar Hostel
You added Moonstar Hostel to your Saves list
Moonstar Hostel
Cankurtaran Mah. Akbiyik Cad. No:29 Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #418 of 929 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Madrid, España
“It was good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Hello there,

I was with a big group of people from different countries. I must say the location is excellent. About the bed, they are good , the views of the terrace were really nice while you are having a water pipe or just have breakfast. The people are nice and friendly all the time. I really recommend to come to the hostel.
When you arrive do not forget how to use the shower! :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brasov, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

The best thing about Moonstar is its location in the heart of Sultanahmet. From here, the historical attractions of Istanbul are only steps away.
The guys running the hostel are pretty nice and helpful and the breakfast included in the room's price is more than enough to start the day.
I stayed in the double room at the basement and was not totally satisfied with it, the other rooms are much larger and more ok. So, even if travelling as a couple, I advise you to book a place in a larger room, of 4, for instance.
All in all, the hostel's got potential and if maintained by the owners, it will definitely be amongst the best in Istanbul. P.S. The prices are very good, too. :)

Room Tip: Don't go for the double room, choose a quadruple one instead.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Moonstar is located on a street with a bunch of other hotels and restaurants just steps from the best sights in Istanbul, the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Beds have curtains which is nice. If you want to read some more about the historic sites in Istanbl, check out a post I did on my travel blog, http://www.theworldorbust.com/byzantium-no-constantinople-dammit-istanbul/

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Had a great time, met lots of nice people. I will return, Ahmet, and i'll bring Pele with me! ;)

Room Tip: I liked the 10 br mixed because of the privacy curtains.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Summary: Unhelpful and unprofessional staff. Felt unsafe staying here. Wished I could have cut my stay at Moonstar short.

The staff were neither helpful nor professional. All three staff live (read: sleep) onsite, the night staff in an empty bed in my room, the other two in the lounge. Two of them openly smoke in the reception and common area in spite of my having wondered about it. That would be fine (as I didn’t feel compelled to spend time in these places) except that the smoke permeated into my room on the second floor. Then there’s the perpetual mildew smell in the WC and shower, which needed the fan to run24/7.

I felt like I was inconveniencing them whenever I interacted with them. Coming from an overnight bus, I asked about checking in early. “No. Room not ready. Maybe at 8:30am.” Okay, understandable. Came back at 10:30am. “No. 11.” Checked in at 3pm to find that I was the only one in my room. When I reported a plugged toilet to one, he came up, tried to flush the toilet and said “not my responsible.” They offered no helpful info about touring Istanbul but just gave me a bunch of brochures, curtly told me to look through them and that they’d make the reservations for me. In short, they didn’t seem to care about my comfort, just my money (as reinforced by one staff who jokingly said while I was checking out and paying that this was his “favourite time”.

I can tolerate a lot (including social awkwardness or even nuanced cross-cultural interactions), but I just didn’t feel safe staying here. People entered our room at all hours of the day and night. (My first night, one staff just barged in and took away the covers to each bed without any explanation. The night(?) staff frequently slept in one of the empty beds during the day. A complete stranger came in like he owned the place to rinse his hair.) The room is locked by a key code, so anyone including past guests could just walk past the poorly monitored entrance and access the room. My only saving grace were the storage lockers.

I’m perplexed by the high scores given for Moonstar here. A fellow traveller described the place as chill. Sorry. A bit too chill for me.

Room Tip: In June could've just arrived w/o reservation
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Great staff that are super helpful. They made us free food, free hookah, and fun dancinng! I would recommend this hostel for both a quiet visit or to have a good time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I went to Istanbul with a few friends for 5 days and loved the Moonstar Hostel. The staff were very friendly and were eager to help us discover Istanbul. The breakfast was wonderful, and the roof top terrace was awesome. It is a smaller hostel, so we were able to interact with the other guests. It was one of the best traveling experiences I've had in my entire life.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Moonstar Hostel? Share your experiences!