“Penthouse apartment. Dont like english” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ascot House

You added Ascot House to your Saves list
Ascot House
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Sarayici Sk 23 | Şehsuvar Bey Mh., Sultanahmet, Istanbul Beyazit, Turkey   |
Ranked #165 of 929 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
“Penthouse apartment. Dont like english”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant apartment. Location not that good. Dont think they like english got told to be quiet all the time and was only talking on balcony. Situated on a very very steep hill and with the snow and ice bad idea. Was glad to be back at home.

• Stayed January 2013
Favourite2-1, Owner at Ascot House, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
I'm glad you found the apartment brilliant (and I'm sure also the views from the balcony). I assure you that as the apartments are English-owned there is definitely no anti-English feeling - nor is there any in Istanbul generally, I think you must have got the wrong impression. You were unlucky enough to have been caught in unusually cold weather in Istanbul; the steep hill is well notified on our web page (just search for ascot house sultanahmet). Come back when the snow has gone and you will love it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Ascot House for 5 nights right after New Year 2013 and enjoyed every moment there (and Istanbul altogether)!
The location is great as it's not only close to all the main sights and places in Sultanahmet but also gives you a chance to watch the daily life of local people go by: people selling stuff to the locals, cooking delicious meals in small restaurants, making cheap (compared to very touristy areas within a walking disctance) and absolutely delicious pomegranate and orange juices (a mere 1,5 TL!), making shoes - living their lives....
The appartment was spacious enough for the three of us and had everything we needed and even more (two huge TV's which we never watch, so much so that wifi was available).
We stayed in the Garden appartment which opens up to a patio with a table where one can presumably chill out in summer but since it was the middle of winter season we could hardly make use of it. Before we arrived I had anticipated our lodging to be somewaht coldish (basing on the opinions people shared about their winter trips to the city), but to my greatest relief the heating exceeded all my expectations - we had to keep our windows half open to let the coolish air in (and, mind you, I LOVE when it's hot!).
Despite being close to Divan Yolu ( the main street where the tram runs) the small street where Ascot House is located is very quiet both in the daytime and at night and after endless hours of walking around the city we could have a good night's sleep.
We cooked our breakfast using the kitchen which I find very convenient and we usually had dinner at one of the restaurants in the Gedic Pasa street catering mainly for the locals and thus not so expensive as other "fancy" places. The fish restaurants of Kumkapi are a mere 7-10 minutes walk from Ascot and we enjoyed a delicios lunch on a sunlit terrace there.
All in all, Ascot is a very good value and I'd certainly stay there again should I decide to visit Istanbul again with my family!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My family (parents + sister) and I stayed at the Ascot House over Thanksgiving week 2012. There are four of us, so we got two apartments: the Penthouse Apartment and the Blue Mosque Apartment. Apparently there are pull out couches in both so we could have all fit in one apartment, but the prices were so great that it didn't hurt to get two apartments. Both apartments, though very different in decor, were beautiful. The Blue Mosque Apartment had a luxurious feel in black and gold, and the Penthouse Apartment felt relaxing with it's white and blue (and awesome balcony). Both apartments also have kitchen areas, so we were even able to make our own Thanksgiving dinner (minus the fact that we bought a rotisserie chicken because there were no ovens).

The location is amazing. We were walking distance from the Old Istanbul tourist attractions, as well as the public transport tram. The hotel is in a residential area of Old Istanbul, where many people make shoes. (For those of you who complained that it was a shabby area of town - well, welcome to Istanbul; the whole city doesn't look like the touristy areas we Americans are used to seeing, and personally I prefer the real Istanbul to the shiny fake one.) I thought it was very interesting to observe them hand-crafting shoes in their workshops - a large change from what I normally see with my job of machines making cookie cutter products in large factories. There were plenty of good restaurants nearby that weren't too touristy, and you can walk to the water (where there is a fantastic fish restaurant).

The woman who maintains the hotel was very friendly and did a fantastic job helping us figure out the heat and get situated in the area. She lived across the street, so we got to run into her and say hello just about every day - we didn't have any issues, but if we had, we knew she was easy to get a hold of.

All in all, fantastic vacation and I would definitely recommend Ascot House to friends!

Room Tip: I recommend both the Blue Mosque and Penthouse Apartments, they're beautiful. I didn't see...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We are couple with two teenagers stayed in Ascot house Istanbul on June 2012 for 5 nights.
It was a very interesting experience.
Location: walking distance to major touristic places. But apartment itself situated in authentic Turkish area, that will not be suitable to everyone.
We found it very interesting and attractive part of our vacation.
Rooms: clean, in Turkish stile, with a lot of drapery and pillows. Showers– high standard. Landry machine. Kitchen with all appliances. Air conditioner. TV.
Seams no WiFi.
Disadvantage: no any place to dry laundry. Leaking from air conditioner root.
House keeper – lazy Gul. We bought soap and toilet pepper two days before she brought it.
Breakfast: we recommend – go down street , turn left, café in park on your right( 5min). Try “Manimen”

Istanbul is amazing! Ascot house is very good!

Room Tip: Duplex was very good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I cannot rate this apartment building and the sister hotel more highly! Everything was of a very high quality and the staff were amazingly helpful and attentive and charming. Very convenient location, beautiful decor, amenities and facilities. Lovely view. I just read in another (still very positive) review that there isn't "a concierge waiting to help you every minute" and I must say this wasn't our experience. Between the sweet woman across the road who assists with the management of the building and the phone in reception to the Ascot Hotel, we could not have been more helped!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Airport and intra-hotel transfers excellent. Apartment well located near to bazaar and Mosque in poorer but interesting shoe district. Lady opposite very helpful !
Hotel on island excellently refurbished - looks brand new. Service at both places brilliant .
Shame it was so cold , near zero, in mid-March !

• Stayed March 2012
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I spent one week in early November 2011 in the Penthouse Apartment at Ascot House. I was very happy with the accommodation and the location, which was convenient for all the main places to visit in Sultanahmet. It was also very close to shops, supermarkets and restaurants and the tram was only a short walk away. The views from the apartment, of the Blue Mosque and the Marmara Sea were wonderful.

The bedroom and shower room were very comfortable, with plenty of hot water available. Central heating worked well. WiFi worked well (although I had to use the connection listed for the lower apartments as the code for the Penthouse did not seem to work). The lady caretaker was very helpful and friendly, although she did not speak any English. The phone in the foyer connected directly to the Ascot Hotel, where the receptionist spoke very good English.

My only slight quibbles were the rather odd furniture in the sitting room - not very comfortable chairs and a wrought iron garden table rather than an indoor table with a flat surface. Also rather strange collection of cooking equipment, no coffee maker and no work surface.

There was a slight smell of drains when I arrived - I identified this as coming from the kitchen drain and solved the problem by removing everything I needed from the lower cupboards and drawers and then keeping these closed, which seemed to contain the source of the problem!

I would be very happy to stay in this apartment again and would recommend it for 2 people, although I think it would seem crowded for any more.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, where the view was excellent. The apartment was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Ascot House? Share your experiences!