“Great location, lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel New House to your Saves list
Hotel New House
Emin Sinan Mah. Evkaf Sok. No:6 | Beyazit, Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #368 of 829 Istanbul B&B and Inns
“Great location, lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

A very well located hotel and would recommend staying there, we had a spacious triple bed room for 4 of us (inc a baby) but the bathroom was tiny with no vents. At walking distance to lots of places and next to Cemberlitas station (go to the Hammad just round the corner, really good), walking distance to Sultanahmet where everything is.
The staff are lovely and really helpful; very hospitable. the breakfast is basic and has little to offer as a hot meal; but it does the job. definetly not a 4-5start hotel, i would say a good 3star, they call themselves a boutique hotel but it has no original features others than being an old building in a good location.

Room Tip: Choose the room to suit your needs, we had a triple bed room as we were two adults and two kids and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Somersham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I do not see how hotel sites say this is a four star hotel, it isn't, and it it weren't advertised to me as such I would probably give this place a better review. As other reviewers have commented, this hotel features wonderful staff who really want you to have a good experience in Turkey. The location is perfect, right near the Cemberlitas tram stop and no more than 10 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the Topkapi Palace. The Grand Bazaar is 200 meters away. We were offered tea and coffee upon check in and really made to feel welcome.

The room itself was more than big enough for my family and was well appointed, to the three star standard. For this to be a four star, as many booking websites (and the hotel itself) claim it is, it would need to be better furnished. The shower didn't seal properly, meaning that the tile floor was soaked after the first shower of the day. The hotel also didn't replenish the sheets even after we had stripped the bed following spilling something all over the bed. A four star would do this standard: Heck, Travel Lodge would do this standard. There was also a lot of dust lying around. We could also tell that the bathroom was not cleaned daily. Breakfast was basic and unchanging. I got tired of the same bread, olives, cheese and tea on offer daily. I will say that this hotel offers reasonable airport transfers so if you stay here I suggest using them.

There are better hotels in the area, but this one is a bargain. It was acceptable for a family holiday, but I would return to other neighborhood hotels, notably the nearby Pierre Loti, before I would come here. If you get a bargain, come here for friendly staff and 2.5-3 star accommodation, but do not expect a 4 star experience. Also, some of the websites say this hotel has a restaurant and bar, I did not find them here so if you enjoy these conveniences, stay elsewhere. There did appear to be a rooftop terrace but it was well below freezing when we were here so I didn't check it out. The beds were also sort of uncomfortable, but nothing horrible. On check out, they asked us to leave our bags in the room instead of leaving them behind the desk. I felt rushed out because as we were collecting our bags a large group of Russian tourists had arrived and probably needed the room. They did send a guy to help, but the lift here is tiny so a whole family's bags took multiple trips and we were on an upper floor. If they needed the room, just tell us to leave the bags downstairs, especially since they knew when we were leaving because they arranged the shuttle. Otherwise, service was top notch.

I won't come back here if I return to IST, but there's not reason a budget conscious traveller should not stay here for a short duration.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed after xmas. Rooms well heated n nicely decorated. Rooms of hotel decor but in block of flats. Breakfast buffet rudimentary n just less than 10 tables available n most of them is in the waiting lounge. The owners were helpful n courteous. Had a moody guy on our last morning when asked him if we could leave our suitcases for safekeeping since our flights were late at night. Location v.good- grand bazaar nearly nxt door n other attractions and nice restos/cafés are within walking distance. Got conned by lastminute.com by booking this hotel as a 4 or 5* secret hotel which is not.

• Stayed December 2011
Lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

5 nights 5th to 9th Nov. Twin Room. Booked as secret hotel via Last Minute.com
If you arrive at night & have to take a taxi into Istanbul I can guarantee the taxi driver will struggle to find the hotel - so beware. But - by Metro/Tram it couldn't be much easier, get the metro to the main intersection at Zaytinburnu, swap top the tram (T1) through to Cemberlitas, walk back the way you came about 50m towards the mosque, and the road to the hotel is opposite (and next to the barbers shop - who incidentally do an excellent shave).
The Room (#301) was good albeit a little small. I have no complaints about the cleanliness, even the toilet & bath/shower were good, the breakfast was a different story. Cheese that looked lke it was cut & set out the night before, bread similar. Although if you ask for more you will get the fresh stuff and in general thats very tasty, with the various jams / marmalades manages to fill a small hole. Other than that, other than what is loosely called the ommelete, theres olives & tomatoes. Tea is ok, coffee a bit ropey. Much better to get a pastry & a good coffee just down the road.
Location - as said above & by other guests, the hotel is easy walking distance to the main square, the Blue Mosque & Aya Sofia, everything else is just a tram ride away.
Beds - comfortable & clean, bedding not changed everyday.
Safe - Yes there was a safe in the room, but this was not fixed to the wall/floor/wardrobe, in fact you just lifted it on to the bed so that you could get easy access. Enough Said.
Staff - were helpful although it wasn't as if we pestered them for anything more than extra milk or coffee sachets for the room.
All in all, I'd go back to the Angelos Home; but would next time try to book direct & try and save a few quid.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I booked this hotel through Lastminute.com's 'secret hotel' deal, and I can honestly say their description was totally misleading!! This hotel is not a 'luxury boutique', it is not 'stylish', it is bog standard and not very clean. The toilet in the room was dirty on arrival and not cleaned through the stay, the toilet in the lobby was so disgusting I was retching when I came out- I made the huge mistake of picking up the toilet brush. Still makes me feel nauseous to think about it now.

There are good points- this hotel is literally just off the main street in Sultanhamet and a 30 second walk to the Çemberlitaş tram stop which links you to the Taksim Square area's night life. It's also walking distance to all the sights in Seraglio Point (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace etc.) You will find that the taxi drops off/picks up from the bottom of the hill that the hotel is at the top of, so be prepared to drag luggage up and down again!

The beds were comfortably firm and the room (double and single for 3 people) was very large. The staff kindly offered an extra bed but it was a very uncomfortable camp bed so we didn't use it. The air con is good, make sure you keep the windows closed, I was bitten to pieces overnight. It was definitely something flying rather than anything like bedbugs or fleas.

And lastly the staff were unfailingly polite and helpful (but don't ask them to recommend somewhere to eat, they'll send you to their mate's place round the corner which isn't great).

Room Tip: Lastminute claims this hotel has a sea view. I couldn't see the sea from any angle- our room ov...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

After many years, for a family reunion, I came from San Francisco to this hotel to spend time with my parents, my brother and my niece for ten days in September. We all had an awesome experience in here. The first reason for choosing this place was the good reviews read in this website but when I talked to the hotel manager, I was impressed by his prompt response and sense of responsibility and customer service. When we got to Istanbul, we found the place, very clean and new. We stayed few nights in the family room and the rest in two larger separate rooms. I was amazed by the politeness and the quality of service in this hotel. Breakfast were great and they served us fresh teas during the day without any additional charge which was really great. Their service in picking us from the airport also was very nice. In addition, the hotel manager "Umut" speaks English so well and very knowledgeable about the city and he even helped us in confirming our return tickets, the same exact service like a five star hotel. One day, when I did not have any luck in finding smart train cards, the owner of the hotel gave me his own card to use on that day and in the next day when I returned his smart card to him he did not even accept the money, so generous of a hotel owner. Without any doubt, I will certainly go back there again in my coming trip. Thank you Angelos Home Hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and loved it! Our room was spacious and super clean! They gave us a corner room so it had lots of light. The breakfast definitely needs work. Which is unfortunate, b/c everything else was wonderful about this hotel. The hotel has everything you need. Wi-fi, minibar, a/c and even had a flatscreen tv! Location is perfect! Walking distance to all the sights. The staff was super helpful and accommodating. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel New House? Share your experiences!