“Excellent hotel - amazing service, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Suites

You added Millennium Suites to your Saves list
Millennium Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cankurtaran Mahallesi | Akbiyik Cad. No:42 Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34122, Turkey (Sultanahmet - Old City)   |
Offers & Announcements
Please visit our website
Ranked #6 of 944 Hotels in Istanbul
Victoria, Canada
“Excellent hotel - amazing service, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in January 2011 and would thoroughly recommend staying here. The hotel is in an excellent location (and is just around the corner from the Four Seasons) and the service is amazing. I booked directly with the hotel - taking advantage of their special offers (which included breakfast and pick up at the airport).

Hotel: The hotel has just 7 rooms and has been renovated to a very high standard (the rooms really are as shown on the hotel's website). The front desk is to one side of the restaurant and there's always someone available to help. Breakfast is buffet style - there's a great selection and they're also happy to make you an omelette if you'd like. And lunch and dinner (or just drinks) are available during the day. The room is comfortable (as are the beds) - and the shower is excellent. Bathrobes and slippers are also provided and there's a safe in the room. And a flat screen TV with lots of channels for when you're worn out with sightseeing and just need to crash for a bit (they also provide orange cupcakes and other sweets with the tea and coffee in the room, and there's bottled water etc. in the fridge).

Service: Absolutely amazing service. I've stayed in many hotels over the years and can honestly say that the service from Alper and all of his team is the best I've ever experienced. I felt like one of the family. Everyone was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble - they happily arranged a half day cruise of the Bosphorus for me so that I got to see more of the Golden Horn and the Maiden's Tower. There was always a hot drink or snack when I came in from the cold; when my iPod was running out of power they charged it up for me. In the evenings, I could sit around drinking beers, reading or just chatting with Alper (the owner, who speaks very good English) and Mehmet (the barman, who speaks very good French and some English) - and learning more about Turkey and her people. I arrived a stranger, and left feeling like one of the family.

Location: The hotel is in the old part of the city (Sultanahmet) and it's a five minute walk to the Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and the Archaeology Museums. There are lots of restaurants in the area and numerous shops and bazaar's (and ATMs). Most of the time I used Turkish Lira though I found that euro's were accepted at a number of the sites as well (and the ATMs could give out both). There's so much to see and do that it's hard to decide - I would definitely recommend all the above, though it was the Archaeology Museums that I returned to for a second day. I wouldn't wanted to have missed the Basilica Cisterns either. Nor the Bosphorus cruise. Basically, 4 days wasn't really long enough and I ended up spending most of my time in the Sultanahmet and Bazaar areas as I didn't want to end up rushing all over the city (and it's a very big city). And this is where the location of the hotel is great - everything is so close to the hotel that it's easy to pop back and rest for a bit, or grab something that you've forgotten.

Travelling Solo: Travelling on my own I wasn't sure how safe I would feel in Istanbul. The answer is very safe - having a great hotel as a base really helped, as did the advice of one of Alper's friends (Aslan). I had asked how to make the people who came up to me offering guided tours etc. go away (as "please go away" wasn't working great and I didn't want to be rude) and he told me to ignore anyone who approached me when I was out sightseeing (very good advice, and I noticed that the local women also took this approach and just sailed past them like they weren't there). The street where the hotel is located always had people around and, overall, I found the Turkish people that I spoke with very friendly and helpful.

Books to read: In addition to the guidebooks, any of Barbara Nadel's (I read Harem ) or Clive and Dirk Cussler's Crescent Dawn. All set in Istanbul and capturing something of the city.

Finally, my thanks to Alper Bey and all of his team. Thank you for making my vacation wonderful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

The best choice if you want to stay close to the most importants places.
Everything was perfect!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed at the Millenium Suites over Christmas.
Position, position, position as the estate agents say.
Not more than 5 min walk to Topkapi, the Blue Mosque or Haghia Sofia. 10 min to the market.
Service: Alper Ozturk and his team couldn´t have been more helpful - no need to say more!
Room: spacious, comfortable, clean. The bedside lamps were not really for reading (though the bulbs were immediately changed for stronger ones.
We were first shown a room at the back but found it too dark. The front room are on a fairly busy street, but it didn't bother us. The noise from the slightly loose hotel sign did, but that will now have been seen to.
No lift so older people should make sure to get a room on the first floor.
The bathroom new. I would have liked to have an anti-slip mat in the bath as it was quite slippery. I didn´t ask for it though. Alper, will you make a note of that? I was told that in the US someone fell in the bath and was seriously injured. It cost the hotel $50,000 ...
Don't chose this hotel if you want a view of the Bosphorus as there is no view of it.
Alper showed us plans of the renovation of the lounge/ reception area to be done in February 2011.
All in all, almost 100% perfect!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
MillenniumSuites, Manager at Millennium Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear valued guest,
I would like to thank you for taking time to post your candid comments on tripadvisor.com.We are delighted to receive your comments.

I am very proud and excited to work in a great hotel and with great ladies and gentlemen.
I did wait to respond your review to fix the problem with bathrooms first.
Yes,I did something more than making note for the problem .All the baths are okay now,all them have a door so will never get the floor wet.

I can not thank you enough for your valued time and for your feedback.

Regards,

Alper OZTURK

Manager
Zebulon, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I travelled with my brother and his girlfriend to Istanbul and Cairo at the end of January. We stayed 4 nights in the Millennium Suites hotel and had a wonderful time. The hotel is small and intimate. We were able to get to know the workers at the hotel who took great care of us! They provided us with lots of ideas on what to do during our days in Istanbul. I think the best part of the small setting was that the hotel employees were kind enough to hang out late at night with us in the small Italian restaurant on the bottom floor of the hotel (that, by the way, has some great pizza!). It was great to be able to hang out, drink endless tea and wine, and talk with them!
The rooms in the hotel are beautiful and immaculately clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. We were actually sad to leave Istanbul when we headed to Cairo!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Beds are a priority for me. I am delighted to report that this hotel realises that this is important and has provided good quality king size beds.In fact is there a bigger than king size? It was very wide.
The bed in our room was memory foam which is a good hotel choice as it seems to work with different weights.
Th other great thing was that the staff were friendly,helpful and trustworthy,
The location is central but once inside it was very quiet,
Breakfast was varied tasty and plentiful, what more can you ask?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Although getting to Istanbul from London during xmas 2010 was a night mare [ but not as bad as some I'm sure ] and we were delayed our driver was still at the airport despite a 4 hr wait, thats when our holiday picked up. The hotel was well positioned just at the back of the blue mosque and within walking distance to the grand bazaar, with restaurants located all around it. The staff were great, very helpful and even helped us out when my better half needed a dentist in a hurry, within 1hr, less 1 tooth and a cost of 50GBP we couldnt complain. They organised day trips and our transfers to and from the airport. We couldnt recommend this hotel enough it was great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

As other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are large and well-appointed, the beds are comfortable and the service is great. But despite all the other gushing reviews, you need to keep in mind that this hotel is on an incredibly tacky street, there is no lobby - it's a pizza parlor, pure and simple - and the neighborhood can be very noisy until midnight. (There was a guy playing the sax nonstop from 7PM - 12AM at a restaurant two doors down every night we were there.) The windows are not double glazed, and it takes a little bit of effort to arrange all the curtains to insure the street light doesn't get in to the room. And given the rates of other hotels in the neighborhood, no way is it worth the almost EUR250 per night we paid. If you can get this hotel for around EUR110 and are not bothered by noise / light, absolutely go for it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
MillenniumSuites, Manager at Millennium Suites, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear TheVastMachine,
I would like to thank you very much for your kind feedback that you have shared on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to receive your comments.I did check all the bookings and did not host any quest paid 250 €uro/night and all of our windows are of course double glazed.
The street named Akbiyik where our hotel is located is the one of the most popular street in Istanbul where all people around the world come together and have fun.Here is full of nice restaurants and nice hotels as well.If there were noisy I am absolutely sorry for your dissappointed ,All of our neighbours always do take care of not making noisy .Here is a so special street with its special quests,owners and the staff as well.The most important thing in this street is the respect .I would like to share a story of us we had .
We had a twin from London at the restaurant for dinner.The restaurant was unusually full of people and staf were too much busy.Two of our quests talked to each other about having a Turkish Coffee after dinner but they changed their mind to order because the restaurant was too much busy and there were people outside waiting for a table. There is only one house where local people live in next to us ,Home owner with her niece who can speak English were sitting in the garden and heard their conversation about ordering and changing their mind to order coffeeand its reason.After some time I saw her servicing the coffees from their garden to our quests .All were looking so happy and surprized. Than our quests wanted to order İce cream for the lady and her niece and to the staff.He ordered and we did not charge them too.All acts were so kind .I will always remember and when remember I feel so good .Here is a street in where the respection and the feelings are the most important for all people here.Everything is done to make friends ,to make the life full of fun and meaningfull.

The Millennium Suites Hotel team will always do our best for our precious guests.

wish you have happy new year with your family and friends.

Best Regards,

Alper OZTURK

Manager

Been to Millennium Suites? Share your experiences!