“Could become a beautiful duckling” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #187 of 945 Hotels in Istanbul
Sydney, Australia
“Could become a beautiful duckling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here upon our return from Cappodocia. We had stayed at the Grand Hyatt, Istanbul a week earlier; so a comparison becomes unavoidable.

For a start, the room here was much smaller. We had been warned of the noise but even when occupying a side room, the noise from the street and especially the tram can become annoying. The room was warm and as we could not adjust the room temperature, unfortunately we had to have the windows opened and this makes the noise more unpleasant.

The room was not made up professionally each morning; we had to ask for clean towels and water and one day it took 3 phone calls and a few hours before we got service. The beds could have been more comfortable and the pillows improved.

The staff at the breakfast lounge however was good and attentive. Special thanks must be given to the lady manager who was on duty for the three mornings we were there.

This will be a good hotel to stay for visits to the Grand Bazaar , the Blue Mosque and surroundings but for night life and dining a hotel over the other side of the water will be better.

Happy to hear that xavierkuai was upgraded as a H HonoursGold. I was told that it was not the hotel policy to do so.

Booked this hotel under the Hilton Honours Best Rate Guarantee only to find out that the rate was better on Expedia. Contacted H Honours but was stonewalled. Does anyone else has the same experience?

Room Tip: If noise is an issue and it is here, avoid all rooms facing the exterior
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
murat_yetisgen, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

We appreciate your positive comments, as well as your constructive feedback which I have already shared with the team and I will follow up personally. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and appreciate your valuable opinions.

I look forward to welcoming you soon and try to show you our improvement.

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

10 minutes walk from the Grand Bazaar, on the light rail line, this is a convenient location for the Sultanahmet tourist attractions. The king rooms with balcony are not spacious but have all you need if you only need the room to sleep and relax in! It was sunny over the weekend, nice to have the option to sit outside in the moning sun. The room on the fourth floor was surprisingly quiet given it was street facing. There's a roof top bar and restaurant looks out on to the Bosporus which is pleasant on a sunny day, I'd recommend a trip to the spa, the Turkish Bath was great. The staff were helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
murat_yetisgen, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, March 28, 2013

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Upgraded to a room with terrance as HHonors Gold. Wonderful breakfast, but waiters could pay more attention to details. Super welcoming front desk staff and very accommodating to requests. The hotel is located right next to the tram stop (although Tram Line 1 is very crowded all day). Very close to other attractions, but be scared away from the fact it is in Old Town. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
murat_yetisgen, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, March 26, 2013

Mecca, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is my second stay in this hotel after a year and something has been changed and improved. I stayed in room which was facing to the back side and it was quite. The hotel lobby enlarged and very warm atmosphere with live music which was not there last year. Breakfast buffet was also improved comparing to last year with a different variety of cheeses and some local food. Like as I did in many other hotels I used health club and had Tukish bath and it was really enjoyable. Gamze who made me massage was really successfull. After all I had spoken with receptionist and heard that new GM on board since February. Good Luck

Room Tip: ask for back side corner room .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
murat_yetisgen, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Double Tree Old Town is what you would expect from a Double Tree in a big city (no surprises). It is nice, convenient to the sites and has the amenities you would expect. I mainly chose this hotel because it has a gym which most of the nicer boutique hotels in the area do not have. (My wife is a runner and didn't want to run outside in Istanbul). Overall, if you are looking for a larger hotel close to the bazaar and Sultanahmet, this is a fine choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
murat_yetisgen, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, March 19, 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Things can get tiring while touring Istanbul. This hotel has a good location and is a perfect Oasis. The food in the restaurant is great, although the breakfast buffet is ridiculously expensive. The Spa is five start quality. The afternoon music and happy hour is a nice way to start one's evening. Service was very good including the Concierge help, but you might like to get any tour to Ephesus from a cheaper travel agency supplier...far too expensive. (A little noisy, but it is Istanbul.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

It was definitely not my first stay in Istanbul but this time I wanted to stay at a newer hotel as all other hotel I stayed before are quite old and lacking luxury. Normally I would stay at the Hilton or Intercontinental Ceylan but as the Doubletree had a good value and was well rated I decided to book the Doubletree old Town.

Prior to my stay I was not sure if my family would accompany me so I had some email communication with Mrs. Zuhal but it was difficult to get my message passed to her.

Early morning I left Belgium but because of fog they cancelled my flight so I would only arrive very early next morning at 02:00 in Istanbul so I emailed the hotel that I would have a late arrival.

Once in a taxi we arrived at the hotel around 02:00 and even at that time a bell boy was outside and took my luggage to the reception. Like all hotels you have to pass a metal detector and checked in. The check in agent was extremely helpful and check in went quickly. He told me as Diamond member I was upgraded from a standard to a Deluxe room on the second floor.

I took the elevator and found my room quickly on the left side. The room was very spacious and had a big bathroom with only a big shower, unfortunately no bathtub. The room itself was new and very modern decorated. There was an extensive welcome in the room.
The only downside was extremely much noise from the street as the window did not close properly. I had a limited view direct on a street and in the morning I was woken up by trucks and delivery vans.

In the morning I had breakfast in the main restaurant next to the lobby. The restaurant was quite full but the friendly server brought me to a free table and ordered drinks. The breakfast buffet is extensive but personally to much Turkish and not enough western choices to eat. Quality although was good and the eggs were cooked freshly in front of you. Though I have to mention the orange juice was extremely sour.

The location of the hotel is extremely good and just in front of a tram station which brings you directly in the old town or boat piers.

On my checkout day I got a late check out at 14:00 and they would arrange a normal taxi for me. Once I checked out a yellow taxi with the hotel logo was waiting for me. The driver spoke limited English but refused to turn on the meter. I was shocked a hotel taxi was ripping me off. Then when I took my phone and tried to call the hotel the driver put his meter on. What a shame otherwise I would have give this excellent property a five out of five.

Overall new and modern property with friendly staff and excellent value. Taxis are rip off even though they are from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town? Share your experiences!