“Very close to the historical sights, far from the nightlife.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #187 of 945 Hotels in Istanbul
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very close to the historical sights, far from the nightlife.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel was fancier than I expected, compared with the ones I've stayed back in the US. Very nice room and a beautiful lobby. Great location, within 10-15 minutes walking to the Grand Bazzar and maybe 20-30 to the Blue Mosque and Haiga Sophia. The only drawback with the location is the nightlife or lack of. The area pretty much shuts down at night, ideal if you like to tuck in early. If you want to experience more of the nightlife within walking distance to the hotel, stay by Taksim Square. One thing that we didn't like was the hotel's restaurant and bar prices, pretty much a rip off. You can get the same or better quality of food for half the price or more. We dined at the hotel one night because it was raining and late. Overall, great hotel, great location and great service...they gave me cookies every night :)

Room Tip: Rooms looking into the atrium are very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We appreciate your positive comments, as well as your constructive feedback which I have already shared with the team and I will follow up personally. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights Jan/Feb 13. The hotel is very well located within walking distance of the historic heart of Istanbul. Alternately you're just three tram stops from Haghia Sophia/Blue Mosque/Topkapi. The tram is right outside the door. Rooms are well-appointed and comfortable although quite small. Stayed in a room on a side street and did not have noise problems as some reviewers had on the main street. The staff are helpful and courteous and you are greeted with Choc chip cookies on arrival. Add an extra $15 a day for internet access to the room rate unless you're a Hilton Gold card member!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Tahlequah, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with the quality of the hotel, it's rooms and the staff. As other reviews have said, the restaurant is good, but overpriced. I received free Internet as a Hilton Honors Gold member, but there was no connection in the room. Somewhat disappointing there.

• Stayed February 2013
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay in DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town.

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location, and as I happily found out, it offers the best sleeping experience you can have after a 10h walk-around day! I travel for more than 22 years, been in a lot of hotels, but these guys bed is by far the best, you will feel fully re-charged on the next day.
The only disappointment for me was that the Wi-Fi in the room was charged extra. I mean, come on, this is a Hilton, 5 star hotel, cave hotels in Cappadocia offers you free and fast Wi-Fi in the room.
Breakfast is great, don't miss the mozzarella with Pesto.
Crew is very friendly, helpful, many of them speak basic english, but in some cases if you ask "too many questions" they get confused. Hotel should provide deeper coversation training to avoid this.
Can't tell about h
The swimming pool, spa or restaurant, which I did not use, other services were all great!

I will return to Istanbul with my wife and certainly will stay again at the Doubletree by Hilton.

Room Tip: Get a street view room, they are not so noisy and it's not only charming but far from the elevat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your comments after your recent visit on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to read that you had positive thoughts about our hotel and your stay.

I would like to say the reason the internet is charged is because the Hilton Hotels have an agreement with an internet server called ‘’Swisscom’’ for your safety. This agreement applies to all the hotels. On the First Floor, we have a business centre which is open 24 hours for our guests and free of charge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town in the near future.

Colorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great here. Walking distance to the Hagia Sophia and Old Town, university and all of the action. Great rooms (you might want to request one facing the back alley, as the front street can get pretty loud), clean and fresh and modern. Super service, including a first-rate breakfast buffet. I will be back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Sutton England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Having purchased our Visa before getting in line for passport control we used the Metro train from the airport ( we bought Istanbulkarts which are like a London Oyster card and let you top them up to pay for public transport, you just hold them to the reader to enter a station, we paid 10TL for the card and 4TL of rides and then topped them up with another 20TL each although you can share the one card) The train only goes one way from the airport and we changed at Zeytinburnu for the tram to Laleli-Universite which is the stop just outside the hotel. No one lets you off a tram before they get on so make sure you are standing fairly near the exit doors.

The hotel is very clean and modern with nice facilities and a lovely terrace restauarant, being a hotel it was more expensive than local restaurants. Staff very friendly (as seemed to be everyone we met) and spoke excellent English. The room was clean and comfy with lovely beds and a huge bathroom and shower and bidet although overall smaller than we expected. There is a room safe and usual hairdryer, kettle for tea and coffee although as they dont normally put milk in hot drinks you only got two sachets of coffeemate so we bought a carton of milk in a grocery store and kept it in the room minbar fridge.
You can get the tram into the tourist bit from outside the hotel as well as a bus to the Grand bazaar but it was an easy walk to the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia but if you are going to Emenuoi for the ferries them take the tram.
We would stay here again when we come back, there are independant hotels closer to the main sites but mostly in side streets and so awkward to get to with cases so if you are happy with a chain hotel you cant go wrong with the Doubletree and you get points to a free stay with Hilton

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hello Everyone, I will get to the hotel review shortly, Upon landing at Istanbul Airport, stay right and get Visa first, which cost $20 / 15 euros / 10 pounds CASH only, then go to the Passport control line, otherwise you will lose an hour. As soon as you get out of passport control, you will see sign for cars and taxis, they charge anywhere from 40 to 50 euros, skip them, as soon as you get out of that, right outside there is official yellow taxi stand and it will be 40 Turkish Lira to get to the hotel. Tip : Anything you do in Turkey, always ask how much, this will save you from so much hassle. The metro is across the street, down the elevator. You need to insert 6 Lira and you get 2 metro coins, one for the train, the other for the tram. To reach the hotel, you can take the subway from Domestic terminal until Zeytinburnu station and than switch to Tramway which will bring you directly to Laleli-Universite station where the hotel is located. It takes about 35 to 45 minutes versus a car ride is 30 minutes without traffic. The tram is right opposite of the hotel, very convenient.
I booked the doubletree hilton because it was walking distance to all the attractions. I got there around 11am, little early, they had one of my room ready, as i booked two, which was perfect, i was greeted with a cookie and complimentary bottles of water, i was shown to my room. Quickly took a shower and was able to catch Friday prayer in Blue Mosque around 12 pm. I am a Hilton Gold member and was upgraded to King Deluxe room with Balcony and a sofa bed upon request. After i booked the hotel, i was looking for an email of the hotel and even called hilton honors but they did not have an email for the hotel. Three days before my stay i received an email from Özge İnce of the hotel welcoming me and giving directions to the hotel. I replied requesting 2 double beds and she said they don't have that in that hotel but she can arrange a sofa bed in my room, which was perfect. Özge İnce and the Lady that checks people in breakfast are very courteous, professional and very helpful, they are a great asset to the Hilton. The staff is awesome there. When i checked in, i brought american chocolates for them and they were very appreciative of that. As a Gold member my breakfast and WIFI Internet was free. They have a great breakfast everyday, plenty of choices, the internet was excellent as well. I stayed in room 322 and 323, no noise problems at all as others have complained about that. After a day of walking and being tired, take advantage of the hotel's complimentary Jacuzzi, Steam room , Sauna and Turkish Bath, no swimming pool in the hotel. Massage is extra. This was my first time using a Sauna and Steam room, Its definitely worth trying, I thought about the turkish bath but after watching a youtube video on it, I just couldn't have a dude give me a bath. Jacuzzi feels good after a day of activity. Every time i visited, we were the only ones there. Try the hotel's room service's ice cream, great bargain at 5 Lira only. Every night we needed hot milk for the baby, room service would deliver it, no charge, Thank you for that. I always tip well, it goes a long way. Ohh by the way, the rooms were clean and modern, the 2nd floor has a business center, computers with internet access and printing.

The hotel is 3 tram stops from the blue mosque, if you walk it, you turn right from the hotel, 7 minutes to Grand Bazaar and 14 minutes to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topi palace. Those of you on a tight budget , you can skip Hagia Sophia, in my opinion the Blue Mosque was more unique, what a sight. First day, suggest visiting Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topi Palace, come back to hotel and rest and then visit Grand Bazaar. Second Day take tram to Eminonu, then take ferry to Kadikoy, the ferry is warm and comfortable and you get a nice view of Istanbul without breaking the bank with a boat tour. The cost is 3 Lira for Tram and 3 Lira for the ferry. When you are there, Visit Ciya-Sofrasi restaurant, ( pronounced Chee-ya-Sof-rah-suh ) an authentic turkish restaurant, very well reviewed. The prices are reasonable, for 5 people it was around $50 including tip. We had a difficult time finding it, after the ferry, go across the street and look for the fish market, once you find fish market you can keep walking until you start seeing restaurants and you will run into Ciya-Sofrasi. You can do some shopping there as well.

Grand Bazaar tips, try buying from fixed priced shops, you cant go wrong there. If you buy from others, try to go to a shopkeeper that is elderly because the younger ones are very rude when you bargain with them and don't buy. Always ask permission before you touch anything, if you want something, shop around to at least three stores, so it will give you an idea of the prices. Remember you have bargain there, once they give you a price, start at 50 to 55 percent of the price and stop at a maximum of 65 percent and just walk away. That's the magic, once you start walking away, they will give it you. Personal example, a genie lamp, i asked how much, i was quoted 55 Lira, I said can you do 30 Lira, he said no, the best 45 Lira, i said sorry, cant do it, he said whats your best price, i said 35 Lira, he said no, i started walking away and then he gave it to me for 35 Lira. Be aware of the extremes of Grand Bazaar , little later i asked another shop how much the same lamp, just to see if i got a good deal, he quoted me 155 Lira. That's when you know to walk away, its not even worth bargaining with them. On your way to blue mosque, you pass two burger kings and one mcdonald's. The day we left, we took a yellow taxi from outside the hotel that had doubletree logo on it, we asked and verified, 40 Lira to the airport. Also try fresh juice squeezed from oranges, pretty darn good and cheap. I have a video of the room but don't see an option to upload it. Please feel free to ask any questions and if you thought the review was helpful, please click on helpful review.

Room Tip: Higher Floor away from the elevator
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

We would like to thank you for the favorable comments concerning our facilities and staff, as well as the location.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town? Share your experiences!