“Good hotel with poor staff and out of the way location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia

You added Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yenisehir Mah. Dede Pasa Cad. No:15 | Kurtkoy Pendik, Istanbul 34912, Turkey (Formerly Via Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #204 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gloucester
“Good hotel with poor staff and out of the way location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked this hotel as I was working with a company on the Asian side, so thought that the location would be convenient. First thing is that I am thankful I spent the first night at the Renaissance as my flight arrived at 22.00. Otherwise I would have faced a very long trip to get here from Ataturk airport (no flights from UK to airport on Asian side). What struck me was just how far the other side of Istanbul this hotel is. If you need to be close to the Asian airport then it is fine, but I needed to go to Maltepe, which took an hour or so to get to. And then to get to the European side was a further hour. Anyway, my fault for choosing the hotel location.
The hotel itself is a nice building. New, large and well decorated. The rooms are pleasant and cosy, the bathroom is nice and has a separate bath and shower. Did spot a few clumps of matted long hair on the bathroom floor though, which certainly weren't mine. Internet access is free. Also, due to the location, you do not get awoken at 5.15 in the morning with the call to prayer, so you can get a good nights sleep here. Well, you can if the A/C works properly. I woke up early as I was roasting, despite setting the A/C to cool and lowering the temperature. At least there was a kettle and coffee in the room to help me wake up after my early start.
Anyone who reads my reviews will know that I look for a hotel with a good gym, and this hotel certainly doesn't disappoint. It has a very large, well equipped gym. But it is open to the public, and it is very busy, so at peak time be prepared to wait to use some of the equipment. And you would have thought that maybe they had room for just one rowing machine? Just a minor gripe, they had smith machines and cable cross-overs so I was happy.
Breakfast in the hotel was good, apart from the orange juice tasted very low quality, and was in paper cups. Also, the napkins were paper. These are minor points but not quite what you expect in a 5* hotel. Or even a 4*! But otherwise it was good. Shame I can't say the same about the experience I had with my evening meal in the hotel. The food itself was fine, but the service was completely hopeless. I had to wait to get a menu. Nobody asked me if I wanted a drink, and when I did order one it never arrived. Once I'd finally ordered, the food took ages, and I'm sure they weren't making the lentil soup just for me. There seemed to be plenty of staff, but they seemed to be running around like headless chickens doing all sorts of random stuff, instead of serving people. For example, one waiter was refilling glasses and putting out bread rolls on tables only 6 feet away from me, whilst I sat and had none. I got his attention, and rather than go and get a bread roll from where he'd just set down a pile, I waited five minutes for him to return with a longer, sliced roll from somewhere else. There were waiters walking half-way to somewhere, then changing their minds, one waitress seemed to be glued to her mobile phone, and I saw a waiter clean a plate with a table cloth before taking it to a table to be used! My advice, eat outside the hotel.
Thankfully this is not difficult to do, as the hotel is on the end of a retail complex, so there is a shopping mall, outdoors but manly covered, and there are a lot of restaurants overlooking some water with ducks, swans and it seems also a lot of frogs. I ate in one of the restaurants there and the food was good.
So, if you actually need to be in this area, and you will be on your own, this hotel is a good choice as you can entertain yourself here. But the location is not great even if you still want to access some parts of Istanbul on the Asian side. For my last night, I changed my hotel booking and moved over to the European side, rather than face a 2 hour plus journey to Ataturk airport. The main thing that let it down for me was the awful service in the restaurant. But you can easily go elsewhere to eat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CPIstanbulAsia A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experinece during your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to provide excellent service and feel like at your home.
I'd appreciate it for you to reach out to me personally to discuss the details of your experience. Please do not hasitate to contact with me at 00 90 216- 585 -60 - 60 or ergun.demiray@cpistanbulasia.com

Ergun Demiray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Other reviews have picked up on this hotel being expensive for food and drink, but what really annoyed me was the petty little extra charges that they added on ie: 15TL for a mandatory swimming cap to use the pool (60TL for a family of 4) 10TL for orange juice at breakfast! 11 TL for latte at breakfast! All quite petty but annoying all the same. Also it took us 7 hours and 4 phone calls to get a roll out bed in the room. Kids were asleep in our bed by the time it arrived! Also there was no airport shuttle at the airport and We ended up getting a taxi. All in all not impressed. May be a good business hotel but wasn't great for a family stop over near the airport.

• Stayed April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear AML1967,

As always we are glad to read feedback of the Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Asia. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It was unfortunate to see the Value was not what you had expected when booking the hotel. I do appreciate the high scores for Rooms and Cleanliness. We value all reviews we receive as they help us to target any areas where we might improve.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

for a 1st time visit to any country - comfort of the hotel make the guest to feel like a home
this is want i experienced at Crown plaza ist Asia, for Asian Veg food also we have a variety of food in the complex
this hotel has mega shopping complex + food court + good transport network + mini amusement park also - i recommend for a stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CPIstanbulAsia A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear our guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments and feedbacks.
We would like to inform you that the air conditioners problems you faced were based on the seasonal transitions and please note that the necessary preventions have taken to avoid a similar situation for future periods.

Kind regards,

Ergün Demiray,
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night. Check in was a little slow but didn't mind when I was upgraded to a club suite. Room was excellent but a little hot and air conditioner didn't do a great job but opened window and put up with a little traffic noise. Restaurant food isn't very good so would avoid next time.

• Stayed March 2013
CPIstanbulAsia A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest ;
Thank you for share regarding your experience with the Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Asia. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Your suggestions are important for us to evaluate the constantly evolving guest satisfaction.

Desenzano Del Garda, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is excellent. Rooms, fitness center, pool!! Stunning beautiful.
Be ready to pay crazy bill if you eat in the restaurant. We just eat like usually we do with two bottles of wine and some drinks in the bar just before sit to down.
That is the only weak point but now we know!!

Highly recommend the hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valuable Guest ;
Thank you for providing us with feedback about your stay with us. Entertain our guests in our hotel is a great pleasure for us as Crowne Plaza Istanbul-Asia team.
All our Guest’s feedback whether positive or negative, always helps us to improve the services we provide to our guests.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We will be appreciate to welcome you again on your next trip as Crowne Plaza Istanbul-Asia team.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Generally ok, old hotel, lessor staff member probably hence delay in services. Generally hospitality in Istanbul is above average hence little let down. Rooms are decent, breakfast spread could be better. Turkish Hospitality is missing.

• Stayed January 2013
CPIstanbulAsia A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest ;

We appreciate you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Crowne Plaza Istanbul Asia. All of our guets whether positive or negative, always asisst us to improve the services we provide to our guests.
All of your experience will reviewed with the relevant departments, including Housekeeping, Engineering and Food and Beverage departments in order to control every details.
Once again, thank you for taking time to contact us. We will appreciate to welcome you again on your next trip as Crowne Plaza Istanbul-Asia team.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is the way a hotel is run, good location, price point all good. Good breakfast and a very conscious staff that understands the business traveler.
Rooms are roomy quiet and have great bathrooms.
Next to the mall and restaurants.
To bad the hotel shuttle bus drives more to the airport.

Room Tip: All floors have great rooms.