“Confortability at a great price in the old center of Istambul” 4 of 5 stars

Optimist Hotel
At Meydani No:16, Sultanahmet, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey   |
Ranked #62 of 828 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Nootdorp, The Netherlands
“Confortability at a great price in the old center of Istambul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at Optimist hotel in 2009, when they started with the renovations (on the top floor). Location can't be better: at the Hippodrome. An the best, the staff. Very helpful and friendly. In May this year we spent some days there and all the hotel had been renovated. All rooms are new, and you notice it. Some people of the staff have changed but the manager is the same. I would not think it twice, if I go to Istambul again, which I will, I will surely check first this hotel. It is very great solution when you are looking for a central, relative cheap and casual place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
belgrade
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Just charming, trust the photos! Rooms are spacious and bright, sleeping comfortable, breakfast fine. Lively and relaxed atmosphere and hosts ready to lend a hand in whatever issue you might think of. Probably not the best spot for those who call for Swiss-like precision in every detail, but excellent for getting acquainted to the city, it’s people and it’s life.

Room Tip: if you're a couple ask for the 2nd floor!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed 7 nights at Optimist Hotel, and it could not have been better.

The rooms are renovated in may and it shows, my room looked completely new when i checked in. A great start.

Stayed on floor three from four floors (there are only four rooms, one on each floor). When you see the view from the two top floors you know that you come to the right place. The Blue Mosque is just roght in front of you, looks spectacular at night.

The staff was very friendly and helpfull. They also have a restaurant in front of the hotel. It is on the square where the Blue Mosque is. Knowing the square was once the center of the roman empire makes you think while having a beer...

If I go back to Istanbul I know where I am going to stay.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

excellent location, Blue mosque just in front, Aiya Sophia - 5 min on foot
fantastic view,
nice breakfast
price/quality ratio was highly than expected

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
marlborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

On arrival at 1am on the morning of the 3rd March I was met by the 'security'person .."Manuel'. (Having tried to no avail to ph the Hotel all the previouse day. Finally 'Hasle Free Tours whom I was in Gallipoli the. Were great they sent their Istanbul mgr around to try and contact them ..having been advised that the place had CLOSED down.)
There was NO Security, only my bedroom door key between me and the street. As Manuel (aptly named by me) was out to it on the couch on the mezzanine floor between the Restaurant and my room. I fortunately had brought my own special door lock.
The curtains only came 1/2 way down the windows. There was no TV. And I had to assert myself to finally get the one off the mezzanine floor brought to my room.
The bathroom was my own swimming pool...the room flooded as the pipes were leaking and it got worse over the x3 days. Fortunately the linen cupboard was on the landing outside my room..I duly helped myself to towels for the floor.
The room was freezing..I was forced to leave the radiators on all day as well.
I asked for another duvee...and was given a sheet! There were x3 single beds in my room..I dont know what they did with the other x2 duvees? I sleeped in my clothes.
Breakfast..and non exsistent hygiene....having rached 9.50am the first morning, and also getting to sleep finally...I went down to breakfast...thinking I was running late...!
No one around...! I woke the then sleeping ...(with x2 others) on the mezzanine couch..Manuel....whom was still drunk...(they all were)...got up went to the toilet in the same room...came out with unwsed hands and said....now what would like for breakfast...I declined and went and made it myself which I did every other morning.
The morning that I ws due to leave..5th March....I had been ph,d by my friends in Tarabya..whom informed me there was a problem with my going up there for the nights of the 5th and 6th....I was short of cas in my budget and asked the chef/mgr if I could saty the xtra two nights..this was at 8.30..9am. He agreed at a charge of 20 lira per night. Whil having breakfast at around 9am an argument then broke out between another two guests..a Greek wife and a London guy. They had been charged 85 euro a night...and were disputing it the wife having cancilled her visa so the hotel could not charge it. There room had not been renovated and were mislead by the photos and info on the www site like myself...It got close to and all out fist fight....The guy then came around from Istanbul Hotels . com...and try to intervene. The couple left ..after paying 20 lira a night.
I was so scared.....and felt so unsafe that I rang my friends and said I would come up to them...Informed the management ande got a taxi to Tarabya...at 25 lira well worth it.

SINCE THEN THE ......THEIVES AT THE HOTEL HAVE DEBITED MY TRAVEL AGENTS VISA WITH x2 nights at 85 euro a night for the x2 nights I did not stay....which I have had to reimburse her for...also on their site they quote they do not charge visa until after you stay...and you can check out before 12md with no charge...
IT WAS THE WORST HOTEL...AND MOST STRESSFUL TIME I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN ANY ACCOMMODATION EVER!
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I DID NOT HAVE MY HEPATITIS VACCATIONS BEFORE I LEFT...
The only nice person was the cleaner..whom tried to do a good job.
THEY PRETENDED TO BE N ICE..BUT ARE LIARS, THIEVES. TO MENTION TWO.
YOU TAKE A BIG RISK GOING THERE..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Optimist Hotel? Share your experiences!