“Perfect Central Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rapunzel Hostel

You added Rapunzel Hostel to your Saves list
Rapunzel Hostel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Bereketzade District Bereketzade Cami Str. No:3 Arapcami, Beyoglu, Istanbul 34420, Turkey   |
Ranked #47 of 828 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Central Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Having experienced some... interesting... hostels before, it's hard to call this place a hostel. It's definitely more of a bed and breakfast if you ask me. Sure, the rooms are like dorms, but this place has everything you need, the breakfasts are fresh every morning, and it's centrally located to make the most out of your trip to Istanbul.

Located right near the Galata Tower, which turns into a fun social gathering place at night in the summer, we could walk around to explore the Taksim side of the city, but it was a quick walk across the bridge to get to all the Sultanahmet sights. Lots of great food and bars nearby.

Only location problem is the street is small so you won't get door to door cab service, but if you walk up the hill toward the tower, there are plenty of cabs driving around when it's time to leave Istanbul.

Have already been recommending this place to friends!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the twin en suite, but beware- the call to prayer is right outside Rapunzel and sometimes...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed two nights here at the end of our tour and found it to be friendly, funky and really clean! The location is perfect for discovering the Galata / Beyoglu area and the nearby tram line makes connecting to the airport and the old city easy as well.

Our twin room with en suite bathroom was spacious and the beds were really comfortable. The breakfast was tasty, fresh and plenty big enough - fresh fruit, cucumber, cheese, olives and toast with DIY coffee or tea. Unfortunately the double rooms are on the first floor right next to the shared bathroom and above the shared social area (which can sometimes be a bit noisy despite the after midnight request for quiet). If you want a decent nights sleep make sure you close the windows or the 5am call to prayer from the mosque next door will scare you awake.

It also pays to bring cash otherwise you'll get hit with an 8% credit card fee.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I've read the one poor review below and am totally confused as to how anyone could've had a bad experience at a place like Rapunzel! A friend and I stayed in Rapunzel for the first half of our trip and booked another hostel for the last half- this was because we thought we wanted to experience different parts of Istanbul: A stay closer to The Old City and a stay closer to the nightlife in Istiklal/Taksim Square. Of course what we didn't realize was how modest Rapunzel's descriptions were of their location. We regretted not staying with Rapunzel longer because it was relatively quiet (especially compared to the other hostel), very quaint, homely, safe feeling, very cheap, and to say the location was perfect was an understatement. The beds were very comfortable, I loved getting cozy in their comfy down comforters and pillows. Staff came by to make sure the bathrooms were clean every day, and the showers were big and amazing!! They even have a rooftop terrace. Unfortunately it was mostly rainy and cold during my stay in Istanbul but I still had the chance to go up briefly because it is open 24/7- and the view was beautiful! I didn't feel the need to pay money to go up the Galata Tower for a view because of the terrace and the terrace views of Konak Cafe (which is less than 1 block away to the left of Rapunzel). I could honestly go on and on about how amazing Rapunzel was but all in all, I definitely recommend Rapunzel to anyone traveling in Istanbul; my friend would agree that Rapunzel helped make our stay in Istanbul even more memorable with the VERY friendly and helpful staff, location and ambiance of the hostel. We are very lucky to have found a place like Rapunzel for our first visit to Istanbul.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed with a friend in a two-bed private room in this guest house for 4 nights. The charming room was spacious, clean, and cozy. The location is amazing, in a quiet area near Galata Tower, minutes away from all the busy shopping and great nightlife in nearby Istiklal. The hip staff are extemely caring and go out of their way to make sure the guests are safe and enjoying their stay. When my friend and I stayed out all night after finding a great party, the staff called us to see if we were okay! So cute! They were happy to recommend fun events and good venues. There's always amazing music playing in the lounge, and a great selection of international films to watch when you need a few hours to relax. The place makes you feel right at home immediately, which is so refreshing after having stayed at so many impersonal hostels around the world. Thanks to everyone at Rapunzel who made our stay amazing! :)

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I really liked the location as well as the hostel itself. It's 2 minutes from Galata Tower which we used as our point of direction when we had to return to our hostel. The breakfast was good which included cheese, tomatoes, bread (typical Turkish breakfast) The staff was awesome! They have a cute library with travel books from all over the world, a computer with a fast internet connection and wifi. What more can you ask for? It's also a short walk from the area's shopping and nightlife

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011 via mobile

Rapunzel is exotic & erotic & artistic. Breakfast served at 9am, so not for early risers. Female dorm with hair dryer a plus. Staff gave written directions to anything that interested me. Library, computer & wifi & 24hr DIY tea & instant coffee. Expect to climb Narrow spiral staircase up to rooms & rooftop as this is historic building. Smoking outside only.

• Stayed November 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I must say that this place was a breath of fresh air amidst the sensory overload that is Istiklal street and surrounding areas. I would highly recommend staying here for a couple of days if you are interested in shopping at, or visiting, Istiklal street (a very famous turkish shopping street).

I was a little in over my head in istanbul- I had a feeling that people were constantly after my money, trying to scam me all the time, and basically treating me as the obvious tourist that I was (6´2", light hair, blue eyes, spankin´ new D600 camera around my neck). All this was exacerbated by the fact that I traveled alone, and I hadn´t really done much research before I went to Istanbul. Turkey is a place where you need to do a lot of research (and ideally, have local friends), to avoid tourist traps and potentially dangerous situations.

For the first time since I got to Istanbul, I felt relaxed and welcome in Rapunzel hostel. When I arrived I was greeted by Kia, a very pleasant and friendly guy. Apparently, he had just started a few days before, but it was hard to notice, as he seemed to know the ins and outs of the business already. At night I met one of the owners, Selen, who was charming and helpful, and gave me many tips on what to do in istanbul.

The hostel is more akin to a hotel, or rather to an american college dormitory (brought back flashbacks, actually! ), than a hostel, since I don´t think that there were any rooms with a lot of people in them. Seemed like the room sizes were more around 2-4 people. The feeling of the place is a refreshingly laid-back, relaxed atmosphere. The other tenants were quiet (but friendly) when I stayed there, and seemed like they were a little older than the usual 18-year old crowd at other hostels (24-30). But I´m sure that is pretty seasonal.

The rooms are spacious, and pretty basic. At first I was worried about the noise from the streets, but the double windows do a great job of keeping the room quiet. Also, they do a great job of keeping the room extremely hot... Thankfully, each room has a large, industrial-like fan, which to me actually made it very pleasant to be in the room (I like wind). The showers are better than they look, and also worked well. The bed and pillows were comfortable, and there was a lockable locker available in the room. All in all, it´s not a luxurious place, but it´s a very cozy and friendly place, and extremely well positioned. In fact, the location at first is hard to find, and when you do it does in fact need a bit of a leap of faith.... the entrance is in a back street, up a few steps behind a coke machine. At night, (to me, at least) the streets needed a bit of getting used to, as they can be a bit intimidating if you´re not familiar with the area. It´s best to arrive during the daytime. Still, once you are at the hostel, it does feel like a safe haven- honest, friendly and fair-priced, which to me was better than when I stayed at the Marmara Pera, a few blocks up the street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Rapunzel Hostel? Share your experiences!