“It's all about the extras” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amira Istanbul

You added Hotel Amira Istanbul to your Saves list
Hotel Amira Istanbul
Kucuk Ayasofya Mah. Mustafapasa Sok. No 43 | Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Melbourne, Australia
“It's all about the extras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice boutique hotel located 500m behind the Blue Mosque and close to many other attractions. My room was on the ground floor and was tastefuly decorated although I found the bathroom quite small with little room to put your toilettries bag and to plug in a toothbrush. While there was no traffic noise at night the walls are quite thin and you can hear your next door neighbour. I could also hear gushing water running through the pipes behind the bathroom wall which was quite loud. When I mentioned this to reception I was offered an alternate room which was inferior so I declined and just kept the bathroom door shut. There is a safe in the room and free wi-fi although I found the signal wasn't strong enough to watch videos.
What gives this hotel an excellent rating is the friendly service and the free extras they offer. I received a welcome drink on arrival and there is free afternoon tea served daily which is excellent. You also get a free 1ltr bottle of water daily in your room. Breakfast is also plentiful with a very good selection on offer. You can also buy tram tokens from reception which is handy. Storing luggage was also not a problem.
One word of warning about the taxis in Istanbul...they will try to rip you off. Make sure the meter is on and when you get to your destination check the meter. My driver immediately turned the meter off and then told me the fare was TL15 more hoping I hadn't seen it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Our city break to Istanbul started with a cancelled flight due to fog, so when we eventually arrived at the Amira 5 hours late, we were pretty tired. So, a very warm welcome at the hotel by the manager, concierge and receptionist made such a difference. A lovely cosy, personal feel extended to our rooms. I was in #502, a spacious and tastefully decorated room with ensuite shower and bath (a good relaxing way to end after such a hectic day). All luxuries were at hand, including bathrobes, slippers, toiletries, refreshments and a very comfortable large bed! Very clean throughout.

Next morning after a quiet night, we met in the breakfast room where a wonderful spread greeted us. The staff were very helpful and excellent breakfast.

Nothing was too much trouble at the Amira, including bringing our complimentary afternoon tea up to the roof garden! I have never stayed in such a perfect hotel such as this before, where it's individual and bijou with the feel of a 5* hotel.

My only slight niggle, which may be of interest to the management, is that the walls are too thin between the rooms. First night I clearly heard a child crying and second night a bit of a row between 2 adults. Luckily, it became mostly quiet whilst I was sleeping.

The location is great, with a few interesting small shops and a bazaar just up the road, before arriving at the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque etc.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel is a small boutique hotel located in sultanahmet down the hill from the blue mosque. It is in a great location to all the tourist attractions. The water is a three minute walk. The light rail is a 5 minute walk and all the main tourist places (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Cisterns, Hippodrome, Archeological Museum) are less than 10 minutes away.

The Service is second to none. The wait staff were terrific during morning breakfast and afternoon tea time. The concierge was fantastic, offering a complimentary beverage and going over everything when you first arrive. The cleaning staff were friendly and thorough when cleaning your room.

The food was terrific, serving pastries, fruit, eggs, and turkish dishes for breakfast. Though there were a lot of things that I have to say did not appeal to me early in the morning, the taste was great. Surprisingly the coffee was good too. Afternoon tea consisted of wonderful dessert type meals with turkish delight.

The hotel is close to really good restaurants and the view from the roof is pretty (not the best but pretty). You can see the top of the blue mosque and the bosphorus.

My only complaint about the place and it could have been particular to my room, but the walls were pretty thin. I could hear next door and when the room above me took a shower or flushed the toilet it sounded like water was coming into my bathroom. It never affected my sleep though and even though my room was also on street level, it was very quiet at night.

I would certainly go back to this hotel again. Thanks to all the staff for a great visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

A gem of a hotel - well appointed in the Sultanahmet district, within easy walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Palace, metro, tram and a selection of restaurants.

Lovely deluxe rooms - spacious, well decorated, good views with balcony and nice little touches like complimentary tea/coffee, water (including bottles to take out with you each day), toiletries, dressing gowns etc.

Afternoon tea and breakfast both a delight. Great selection of foods. Nothing too much trouble. Complimentary cappucino on request.

Had a warm welcome from all staff and without exception, everyone wonderful and could not do enough to help. Fahit on reception especially great - spent an hour with us showing us the sights on a map and giving us advice on where to go and where to eat.

Tried local restaurant Babylon. Had the Teste Kebab dish. Very tasty but disappointed with the portion size. Also tried Cheers Soul Restaurant literally just round the corner from the hotel. Exceptional service, lovely food and a view over the river.

No hesitation in recommending this hotel - top class!

One tip - don't take the hotel's airport transfer for 108TL or take a private transfer offered at the kiosks on your way out of the airport (they will ask for 80 - 100TL). Yellow cabs easy to get and charge 45TL max (that was off meter so suspect it would be less on meter!).

Visit Ortakoy area under the Bosphorus bridge that goes over to Asian side. Lovely craft markets, waterfront boardwalk area and restaurants/bars. Catch tram to Kabatas then taxi (max 15TL) or a pleasant 45 minute walk past the palaces.

Found Taksim Square area disappointing - extremely busy. Upmarket chain stores you can find anywhere in the world and poor choice of restaurants. Ortakoy a much better experience.

Room Tip: 4th Floor Deluxe rooms lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was taken to the Hotel Amira by some friends - for a special birthday present.....and what a present.
The hotel is in a fantastic location, just within the walls of the old city - a five minute walk from the Blue Mosque and the Hagiya Sofia.
We stayed for three nights and on arrival we were greeted, our bags taken from us and we were taken down to the bar/breakfast room - offered complimentary drinks - and given a very comprehensive guide to what we should think about seeing, where we might want to eat and all this marked on a great map for us to have.......we were also given a wi-fi 'dongle' to put in our bag when out to enable us to use the hotel's wifi wherever we were (a brilliant idea and not one I've been offered anywhere else i've stayed).
Our room was lovely and had complimentary robes, slippers and toiletries.
The breakfasts were lovely with lots of choices of beautiful breads, jams (home-made), olives, salads as well as scrambled eggs, sausages and potato wedges, catering for every taste.AND between 4 and 6 each afternoon, they have free tea and cakes to welcome you back after a hard days sightseeing - along with a 'happy hour';. What more could you want??
Of the recommended restaurants, the Babylonia was fab but unfortunately on the last night the recommended restaurant (Refiki) was not so great and we ended up back at the hotel hungry and disappointed - so the staff made us dinner and then insisted it was complimentary as it was their mistake in sending us there - truly amazing.
Thank you Amira Hotel for the fabulous experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Me and my husband booked Hotel Amira after reading fabulous reviews on tripadvisor. We would definitely recommend this hotel. Excellent service - the staff is fantastic and so so helpful! We were transiting through Istanbul for 4 nights and loved our stay. We had the hotel arrange transfers which were reasonable and efficient.

On arrival we were upgraded to a deluxe room as it was our anniversary and given chocolate and strawberries on arrival. One of the staff (Fatih) sat down with us and recommended key sights, eateries and entertainment for our stay which was extremely helpful. The sights were amazing and the hotel has a fabulous location around 5 mins from the blue mosque.
My only negatives are:
The restaurants recommended by the hotel were ok but not great.
The tours offered by the hotel were not worth the €35pp charge. We went on the Bosphorus cruise but this was on a public boat which was no where near the cost of the tour. As an extra we got to see Pierre Lotti but better to do all of this yourself - cheaper too!
Overall a fabulous hotel with amazing staff!

• Stayed March 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed in a deluxe room for 3 nights in late March 2014. I chose this hotel due to its location and the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. Booked through Expedia.

The hotel is in a great location in Sultanahmet district, 5 minutes' walk from the Blue Mosque/Hippodrome. There is a mini market right across the road and plenty of restaurants in the vicinity. In addition, there is a travel agency opposite the hotel that provides airport transfers (€5 to Ataturk/€10 to Sabiha Gocken).

Our deluxe room was huge and overlooked the crossroads outside; traffic noise was not an issue. The room had an extremely comfortable king size bed, A/C, fridge, safe and TV. The bathroom featured a jacuzzi bath with dual showerheads (monsoon and regular). Complimentary toiletries were also provided.

The service is definitely one of the strong points. Never before have I been welcomed into a hotel so well. Fatih took my partner and I down to the dining area to talk us through sights, excursions and restaurant recommendations. This was a wonderful touch; we followed up all the restaurant suggestions and were not disappointed (Mehmet is a real highlight).

Breakfast was very good. Each morning there was a similar selection of cold meats, cereal, toast, pastries and fruit; hot food consisted of: fried potatoes, sausage and eggs.

Afternoon tea is also provided, which we felt went above and beyond what most hotels would do; coffee/tea is served along with a wide range of cakes and Turkish Delight is provided. I just wish we had gone every day!

There is also a large roof terrace, which has amazing views over the Bosphorous; sunset is a particular highlight.

In summary I could not fault our stay at the Hotel Amira. The service provided is exceptional; a big thank you to Fatih and the rest of the staff for such a wonderful stay. I would definitely visit again. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Deluxe supplement is €30/day but well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Amira Istanbul? Share your experiences!