“Clean and relatively comfortable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Art City Hotel Istanbul

You added Art City Hotel Istanbul to your Saves list
Art City Hotel Istanbul
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kucuk Ayasofya Mh. Katip Sinan Cami Sk. No:30 | Sultanahmet / Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey   |
Ranked #45 of 875 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Clean and relatively comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just had 4 nights here. Arrived very late and had a warm welcome. Staff polite and feel sure would have been helpful if needed. Our room had a sea view but we were unable to open the doors as they had been screwed in a couple of places which was odd. As one afternoon we needed to rest, it would have been nice to open them. There was a safe but it had a broken door so completely useless and would have been better if it hadn't been there. We had a problem with the shower - last day, the shower head fell apart. We did report it and someone did come to look at it but nothing was done. Water pressure was also poor. Room was a bit small but adequate. Bed was comfortable and linen and towels very clean. Wifi good. Overall, I found it a bit shabby and felt it didn't quite match what you see on the website. However, we enjoyed our trip to Istanbul and the Art City Hotel was a good place to stay. Breakfasts are good and the Turkish coffee we were offered on the first day was lovely.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed five nights at the Art City hotel Istanbul.

Firstly, I would concur with the previous reviewer that the Art City and Tulip House hotels appear to be one and the same.

Our stay did not have the best start: there was a misunderstanding about our airport pick-up. The hotel had emailed me but only the day before we set off and the email went to my spam folder, so I didn't see it. Although they had two correct phone numbers for us, they did not try to call us, nor did they check the plane time using the flight number we had given them. So when we got to the airport, there was no one waiting for us. When I called, I was then essentially told off for not providing the information correctly.

Anyway, when we actually reached the hotel things looked up (after I was told yet again how it was my fault that we were not picked up). We were offered a choice of two rooms, one quite large, the other very small but with balcony - we went for the larger one. It was very clean. Beds very comfy. No soundproofing in bathroom - could hear neighbours blowing noses, etc!

Breakfast in the basement was an excellent selection. My only criticism would be the instant coffee - yes, you can get Turkish coffee if you ask for it, but a decent filter coffee would be a good option.

Environmental quibble: most hotels these days tell guests to hang up towels if they are willing to use them again. It is not necessary to wash all towels every day.

Street outside has hardly any traffic, but if you are a light sleeper bring earplugs wherever you stay in Istanbul because the call to prayer will wake you.

Overall, a decent small hotel which is very well-located within walking distance of all major sights in Sultanahmet (people with mobility problems, be warned: you will need to walk up and down steep hills, but that is just a feature of the city and not confined to this hotel). Would recommend.

Inverell, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Our visit to this interesting hotel was in 2 parts as we stayed 3 nights with a break away, followed by another 2 night stay. Firstly the Art City Hotel where we stayed and Hotel Tulip House appear to be almost one and the same, as Art City is at No. 30 and Hotel Tulip House is at No. 28 (Kucuk Ayasofya Mah. Katip Sinan Cami Sok.) and they use the same entrance and reception desk. This review relates to the Art City section of the hotel. The staff are very welcoming and friendly with a majority of the staff bilingual. Our first 3 night stay was in a good sized room with a view of the Sea of Marmara. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and the bathroom was a reasonable size, though noisy with late nigh arrivals to nearby rooms. The room had a large working security safe and good free wifi, an air-conditioning for summer (not used as too cold) and heating that was not operating whilst the room was quite cool (daytime temp. 10c outside). The light over the vanity in the bathroom never worked, which comes in handy when shaving. There was no water to the room for a number of hours one evening, but the problem was fixed. Overall our first visit was a 7/10. Now on the return visit we had a room up-stairs on the opposite side of the building, that realistically was only suitable as a single room, as it was very small though the balcony outside was actually bigger than the room, whilst the bathroom was spacious. The safe in the room, was not secured to anything and did not work as it had been locked by the previous occupant and it took approx. 15 hrs for staff to get it unlocked after numerous requests. When working it was good, though still not secured to anything. The door from the room to the balcony could not be locked and for 12 hrs remained unlocked until the staff and myself found the correct way to lock the door. (A degree in mechanical engineering would not have assisted). The room was quiet, had good wifi, air-conditioning though still too cool and a heating unit that again was not in operating mode. Ah, the water in the shower was again a problem, though this time we had water, only the hot water was cold. When staff were informed were were told it would be switched on and would take 20 mins, though after 2hrs it was colder than when the problem was 1st reported and. We were told it was a Sunday and would take time to have a plumber located and the problem, fixed which eventually a number of hours later it was. The light in the vanity also remained un-working, mainly as the wiring above the unity was not connected to anything. Overall our second visit was a 4/10. Breakfast included in the stay is in a breakfast room on the lowest level which was accessed by stairs or a lift and during both visits the Turkish breakfast supplied was exceptionally good with good turkish coffee if asked for and our rating for breakfast was 9/10. The streets nearby are steep for 400m's when coming off the light rail from the Çemberlitaş stop, with the hotel being within a 5 minute walking to the Blue Mosque. Would we stay again, yes possibly due to the hotels location, the staff tried to fix the problems when they arose and they greatly assisted when organising and printing our boarding passes.

Room Tip: Have a good map on hand to find the hotel, with the light rail stop at Çemberlitaş being the closest...
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went to Istanbul this March 2015 to celebrate a special occasion,and looked at several hotels/B&B's before settling for Art City Hotel.....and Boy!!Was I happy I did so!!

To begin with Omar(The Owner) was prompt in replying to my many emails with even more questions!!He was very accommodating as I had some special requests....and even went further to upgrade me to a cozy spick and span clean,very comfy sea-viewing room (101).....

The bathroom too was super clean,lovely fragranced toiletries always replenished by a friendly housekeeping staff,and the shower pressure was really good too.

I thoroughly enjoyed breakfast every morning with a whole selection of spreads,home made jams,juice,cereals,cheeses,and amazing Turkish baguette bread Ive always liked!!They would also play some interesting videos on the history of Istanbul's many beautiful sights.

I left a huge suitcase for 7 days whilst I was travelling,and Omar graciously agreed to store it for me safely at no charge at all.

Omar and the others at reception were excellent at giving suggestions for restaurants,caffes,even a beauty salon/hamam etc and provided a free map too.

Omar lent me his Istanbul Card which made it a breeze to travel on trams and buses!!

Omar and Everyone at Art City,i came in as a guest and left as a friend......this will be my hotel of choice for my future trips to Istanbul!!

Te Sekkur Edirim for helping to make my trip so memorable and warm!!

Room Tip: I was very happy with Room 101,and there is an elevator in case of heavy suitcases!!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This small family run hotel is very well situated opposite the expensive Four seasons hotel but with better views. We visited for lunch stop but saw a smart hotel with good food and one of the best roof top terraces, restaurants in Istanbul> Located close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia and with views of both this is a brilliant and yet quiet location - a shot walk from the metro stop. With 9 well made rooms and an art shop in the cellar this is a delightful clean place - a cut above most similar sized places. Very reasonably priced meals on the menu with a selection of wines which the owner will take you through. Even if you just visit for a beer on the terrace 9 lire - the trip up the stairs is worth it.

Room Tip: High rooms best views
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The location of this hotel is ideal. Just around the corner from the Hippodrome on a very quiet side street. It's very centrally located to all the main sites. The hotel is charming and well maintained. The staff is very nice and they speak English well. The breakfast had a good variety. I am a vegan so I ate cucumbers, tomatoes, and fruit for breakfast every day but they did have lots of meat and cheese as well.

I reserved a single room but when I got there I was offered a Sea View room upgrade. I was told at the time it may only be for that first night and I may have to move. I was fine with that. The sea view room was very nice. The next day the problems began.

I came back to the room around 11am and was told I had to move. I packed up my stuff (I didn't have much) and went down to the lobby. After waiting quite some time while they rumbled around in their desk drawer, they told me they had no key. Apparently the people who were in there previously took the key with them. Yes, they have actual keys. I was told my new room was open so I could go in there. They would have to send someone out to get a new key made. OK. So far none of this is the hotel's fault. They are trying to be as accommodating to me as possible. They even gave me an empty key fob because you have to stick it in a slot to get the electricity to work in the room. Nice energy saving feature. Prevents guests from leaving the TV and lights on all day while they are out. I waited in my room until 1:45 pm but I had to go. I didn't come to Istanbul to sit in my room. I went back down to the lobby and was told they would get housekeeping to lock my room. OK. I had all my valuables on me anyway. Just my clothes left in the room. I got back to the room again at 7pm. STILL NO KEY. They said they would get housekeeping to come up and open my room for me. So I went to wait by the door. Just for grins and giggles I tried the door and it was open! No one had locked it. About 1/2 hour later they did come to my room with a key.

Water Problems: One morning I am in the shower all suds up and the water cut out completely. I put on a towel and was fumbling with the phone trying to figure out how to call the front desk (all the buttons were labeled in Turkish) and the water came back on. So it was off for probably less than 5 minutes. The rest of the time the water took a while to get hot. I had no problem with that. I have to let the water run for a while at my house too before it gets nice and hot. So I turned on the shower, then got my clothes out and brushed my teeth etc for about 5 minutes and it was super hot. So I would not consider that a problem, really.

All in all I would say my experience was a good one. They wi-fi worked well in the room. There was TV with 2 English speaking channels. The single (non-sea view room) actually had a much better balcony.

I would recommend this hotel despite the problems I had.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

I and my father stayed at this hotel for 5 days. The hotel manager Mr. Omar and his brother Ahmed are very good people. The very first day they gave an assistance with everything from things to see, places to eat to tips to move around the city. The best thing that I remember is Mr. Omar mentioning to us that "there are many lanes and its easy to get lost but never mind it may take you long to reach the hotel than you would normally.....never mind go get lost and enjoy the city!!". The services at the hotel are very good from cleanliness to attending to your queries. They also have a very good spread for the breakfast. The best part of the hotel is that it is located at 5 mins distance from all the main touristy places and market, also the tram station is very close to move around the other parts of the city. I will highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Istanbul.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Art City Hotel Istanbul? Share your experiences!